Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

New statement for Georgia:

Statement as of 7:02 PM EST on January 09, 2011

... Significant weather advisory for moderate sleet across

Harris... Jones... Baldwin... Pike... Monroe... Lamar... Troup...

Meriwether... Spalding... heard... Butts... Hancock... Putnam... Coweta...

Jasper... Fayette... Henry... Clayton... Newton... Greene...

Rockdale... Douglas... Morgan... Carroll... Haralson... Walton... DeKalb...

Oconee... Paulding... Polk. ..Cobb... Barrow... Gwinnett and Fulton

counties until 830 PM EST...

At 651 PM EST... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a

large area of moderate to occasionally briefly heavy sleet spreading

northeast at 45 mph across central and into north central Georgia.

The leading edge of this activity at 651 PM extended from Rome... to

Atlanta... to Greensboro.

Temperatures are just above freezing in these areas... but will fall

to or slightly below freezing shortly after the onset of

precipitation. Roads may quickly become ice covered and hazardous in

areas of moderate to heavy sleet.

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for this entire area

through Monday. Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or commercial radio

and television for the latest information on this winter storm.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I posted in the **Storm Thread**, things are going like I'm reasoning it will be a nice surprize for us I'm hoping, (yeah the Weenie in Me),,,...

OFF THE COAST, WESTWARD, instead of Cirrus before a "strom" I saw as the sun was setting, LIGHT CIRRUS DECK of clouds going stright into Lower "stratform"????/ Mid Level to LOW clouds to My south, (off the coast),,,,, & NW, approaching at a good clip.....

I noticed some light radar returns(Viagria??), Already in Charleston, all the way to the Coast, they are setting @ temps of 37.9; Dew of 17.9...

Here as I said in the Storm thread....

I expect KILM to get a nice surprise....

We are ALREADY below freezing....

setting at 31.0 and temps crashing........

Will be clear alil longer, for Raditional cooling....

Winds falling of to calm for the effect above...

Our humidity went up from low 30%, now rising 48%....

Though the DEW is staying level, @ 14F

Attached the History graph to let ya'll check it out,,

Maybe a Lil Surprize for KLIM...

At 7pm 27F and dewpoint at 9 in ilm!!! Looking good.

Yep...completely pointless IMO to use the 2-hour delay policy in this situation. Jackson County in WNC is doing the same. I was just told by someone on the inside that McDowell Schools are closed tomorrow even though their website nor any of the media outlets have yet to post it.

BTW, its 28 and clouding up.

Buncombe would have been closed regardless tomorrow. But, thankfully, they are not pulling the silly deal of waiting til tomorrow to close. I told my daughter that she would be out of school until next Tuesday since MLK Jr. day is Monday. My son is at UNCA and I doubt he will be so lucky.

24 here.

Seems like the 18z has continued the trends for more snow at RDU.

Gfs has us at about 4 inches... I'll take that in a sec. But im wondering why we are under an advisory when it seems like the models are showing getting above the 3" ( which i though was warning criteria) snow... followed by freezing rain?

Anyone think RAH will upgrade ( RDU) to a warning sometime tonight ?

prec.png

Buncombe would have been closed regardless tomorrow. But, thankfully, they are not pulling the silly deal of waiting til tomorrow to close. I told my daughter that she would be out of school until next Tuesday since MLK Jr. day is Monday. My son is at UNCA and I doubt he will be so lucky.

24 here.

Yea UNCA has a pretty stringent policy when it comes to school closings. I'm surprised they have actually cancelled classes tomorrow... they often use the "lets wait and see in the morning" approach. Last year, we only have 3 snow days total if you can believe that... however we had upwards of like 8-9 two hour delays.

Ok about the leave the house here... but I'm at 24.8 degrees with a 10 degree dewpoint. Not to shabby already.

I think they just use the 2hr delay in this situation to buy themselves time to close it, as late as early tomorrow if need be.

Yep...completely pointless IMO to use the 2-hour delay policy in this situation. Jackson County in WNC is doing the same. I was just told by someone on the inside that McDowell Schools are closed tomorrow even though their website nor any of the media outlets have yet to post it.

Well its painstakingly slow but once it gets here, I'm expecting some ok rates.but the sleet is making it look more impressive than it is I'm sure. . The returns which *should* be reaching the ground I'm guessing will be here in 30 minutes or so. A little slower than I thought earlier but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Speaking of slow, man I'm sick of the nws radars being so slow to load. It takes like 30 seconds to load a radar loop which is just absurd. Sometimes it's fine but even when things are NOT busy, they are slow.

Good to see you getting snow already! 32 here as well, I don't want to look at the dew point because it would depress me seeing how much dry air we have to go through.

It didn't really take too long. I was in virga a few hours, but when the green come up it was sleet. I'm in that zran, rain, snow, sleet thing now not to heavy.

Update...it is all snow now. T

Yep Jackson County Schools are doing the same BS. Basically bad planning as far as snow days in the schedule this year, and have already had to take away from Christmas vacation, et al. I really don't understand why in the heck they don't just pad in 5-8 days at the end of the year that can be used if needed.

Mdt sleet and light snow at PTC. 33 over 8. I'll try to take a pic. Things are starting to get covered. Not much melting even with the initial light rain/sleet.

8 dewpoint? I didn't know that was possible. Totally not saying you're lying though at all. Just would like to know how that's possible.

Well its painstakingly slow but once it gets here, I'm expecting some ok rates.but the sleet is making it look more impressive than it is I'm sure. . The returns which *should* be reaching the ground I'm guessing will be here in 30 minutes or so. A little slower than I thought earlier but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Speaking of slow, man I'm sick of the nws radars being so slow to load. It takes like 30 seconds to load a radar loop which is just absurd. Sometimes it's fine but even when things are NOT busy, they are slow.

Yes, the NWS web farm can get killed on large scale events like this and land-falling hurricanes. The servers in Ft Worth usually handle most of the radar load for the US.

Will be interesting to see some dual-pol data tonight. The ARMOR radar in Huntsville has a hydromet classification scan here...

http://www.whnt.com/whnt-uah-armor,0,2121765.framedurl

Snow is picking up a tad. Still "light" based on visibility but the flakes are geting bigger. Will upload a couple pics soon.

Archived