• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

Clouds in now. Just a few brighter periods now, but the sun is covered. 31 dp 4, wet bulb 24. Not used to seeing stuff fall into this kind of cold air, for sure. I'm usually at 38 hoping to get down to 30 by this time before a storm. Point forecast gives me 2 or more inches of snow followed by 1 to 3 or more of sleet. I've been waiting for this storm for 20 years. Only thing better would be feet of sleet. Man, oh, man. T

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

37 degrees here in Macon and the clouds have thickened. Now just waiting on the precip and the temps to drop when we get the evaporational cooling. So far looking at the radar and how this storm is setting up, this is one storm that I hope people are prepared for.

Avery County Final Saturday Snow Totals

courtesy of raysweather.com

Avery County

Beech Mtn 25.5"

Sugar Mtn 28"

Elk Park 14.5"

Newland 14"

Linville 14"

Banner Elk 20"-23"

Hickory Nut Gap 18"

Roaring Creek 22

Nice!:thumbsup: But obviously not as interesting as cold and clear in SC and GA.

Dawson, I've hit the refresh button on your webcam about 50 times hoping for some progress. Go turn the truck around so at least the picture changes. Drop some ice cubes in the driveway so I can watch them stay frozen. :lol:

Seriously, thanks for posting the link. It will be a blast to watch later tonight. Got lights?

dang. my first post since Christmas and I put it in the wrong thread, originally.

32.9 degrees here in Dahlonega with slightly overcast skies. Feels good to have such low temps at this time of day with snow coming in. Just feels like snow. I will be providing obs from about 5 miles or so southwest of DawsonWX. If I were not on call I would be starting at Columbus and riding this thing in back to my house.

Dawson I am betting even though we are so close, that you will see at least 1 or 2 more inches than I get. There is always such a difference between below the square and North of the square. To me, the square in Dahlonega is where you transition from North Metro to mountains.

I'm pretty optimistic generally, but I was sort of disappointed with just 1 to 1.5 inches on Christmas while south and north of me they were reporting 4 to 6 inches. Good to not have to worry about surface temps. I believe I witnessed about 4 inches come down Christmas, (.43 liquid), but only 1-1.5 accum. So I must say I'm somewhat selfishly hoping I cash in this time. Heck I hope everyone cashes in. Hopefully this is acceptable in the obs thread. I've been reading this board constantly for 5 days on this storm and had to post something. Now that we are in observation mode I'm ready to contribute and enjoy this snow with everyone on the board! WHOS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dang. my first post since Christmas and I put it in the wrong thread, originally.

32.9 degrees here in Dahlonega with slightly overcast skies. Feels good to have such low temps at this time of day with snow coming in. Just feels like snow. I will be providing obs from about 5 miles or so southwest of DawsonWX. If I were not on call I would be starting at Columbus and riding this thing in back to my house.

Dawson I am betting even though we are so close, that you will see at least 1 or 2 more inches than I get. There is always such a difference between below the square and North of the square. To me, the square in Dahlonega is where you transition from North Metro to mountains.

I'm pretty optimistic generally, but I was sort of disappointed with just 1 to 1.5 inches on Christmas while south and north of me they were reporting 4 to 6 inches. Good to not have to worry about surface temps. I believe I witnessed about 4 inches come down Christmas, (.43 liquid), but only 1-1.5 accum. So I must say I'm somewhat selfishly hoping I cash in this time. Heck I hope everyone cashes in. Hopefully this is acceptable in the obs thread. I've been reading this board constantly for 5 days on this storm and had to post something. Now that we are in observation mode I'm ready to contribute and enjoy this snow with everyone on the board! WHOS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool....

Welcome aboard....

Thanks! It's a 2004 model with 185k miles. LOL

Temp is 32.5 here....ready to roll.

dang, i thought it was brand new!! it looks great - i cant believe we have a storm about to start with our temps already at or below freezing...esp with such low dewpoints. definitely ready to roll - the clouds are really thickening now, and i can see the heavier ones off in the far west :scooter:

Dawson, I've hit the refresh button on your webcam about 50 times hoping for some progress. Go turn the truck around so at least the picture changes. Drop some ice cubes in the driveway so I can watch them stay frozen. :lol:

Seriously, thanks for posting the link. It will be a blast to watch later tonight. Got lights?

Plan on putting one of those halogen work lights out there shining over the area so it should be good.

I know what you mean about the square thing and accumulation. Seen it over and over. I think both of us will do well with this one. Time to watch the radar.

Well hopefully I have posted in the right thread this time. :arrowhead:

It actually looks like it could snow at any minute here as that much talked about finger of precip expands and heads this way. Thick and lowering overcast currently..temp 33. But with a dewpoint of 4, it might take a little bit. Wetbulbs are currently running around 24 to 26 so we are in good shape there. As others have mentioned, it feels good NOT having to worry about surface temps for a change.

Can you lock the other thread since we still have a January thread running?

Thanks Lookout.

It actually looks like it could snow at any minute here as that much talked about finger of precip expands and heads this way. Thick and lowering overcast currently..temp 33. But with a dewpoint of 4, it might take a little bit. Wetbulbs are currently running around 24 to 26 so we are in good shape there. As others have mentioned, it feels good NOT having to worry about surface temps for a change.

Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy

Temp: 27.6 degrees

Dewpoint: 6.6 degrees

This will be the last report I make at my house... I'm leaving at 7:30 to go up to Warren Wilson College, where me, along with a professor and fellow met major will be launching weather balloons for the duration of this event. You can check out the sounding data at this link

http://facstaff.unca.edu/dmiller/sempe1011.html This is IOP-3. (Intense Observational Period - 3 since there have been two previous events we have launched balloons in)

lol - i am afraid i might do that tonight....i am not used to so many threads!

it would be awesome if the first report of a snowflake comes from yby

radar is looking nice, light echos are starting to increase in n ga

Archived