• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

Buncombe would have been closed regardless tomorrow. But, thankfully, they are not pulling the silly deal of waiting til tomorrow to close. I told my daughter that she would be out of school until next Tuesday since MLK Jr. day is Monday. My son is at UNCA and I doubt he will be so lucky.

24 here.

McDowell being closed tomorrow is now official...one of our newest forum members, HatcheryHooligan, gave me the scoop on that earlier but its now posted. I'm glad our folks went ahead and used common sense. They have made some calls over the past 2 winters that have left a lot to be desired from the general public. This was a no-brainer.

I was guessing 3 days minimum that the kids would be out here but with the sustained cold, we may end up in the same boat. This is coming at a really bad time for MHS...because EOG's and finals were to start Tuesday.

I agree with your comments about UNCA, its usually got to be really, really bad outside for UNCA to close multiple days.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its painstakingly slow but once it gets here, I'm expecting some ok rates.but the sleet is making it look more impressive than it is I'm sure. . The returns which *should* be reaching the ground I'm guessing will be here in 30 minutes or so. A little slower than I thought earlier but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Speaking of slow, man I'm sick of the nws radars being so slow to load. It takes like 30 seconds to load a radar loop which is just absurd. Sometimes it's fine but even when things are NOT busy, they are slow.

I agree about their radars, I pretty much use Dacula's radars all the time now. Fairly quick loading and accurate IMO

Well its painstakingly slow but once it gets here, I'm expecting some ok rates.but the sleet is making it look more impressive than it is I'm sure. . The returns which *should* be reaching the ground I'm guessing will be here in 30 minutes or so. A little slower than I thought earlier but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Speaking of slow, man I'm sick of the nws radars being so slow to load. It takes like 30 seconds to load a radar loop which is just absurd. Sometimes it's fine but even when things are NOT busy, they are slow.

Use my flash ffc loop on my radar page loads quick. The link is on the first post of my radar thread.

Just got the call, not work for me in Rutherford County school system tomorrow. Not even an option to come to work :)

Now, lets work up some snow!!

Yep Jackson County Schools are doing the same BS. Basically bad planning as far as snow days in the schedule this year, and have already had to take away from Christmas vacation, et al. I really don't understand why in the heck they don't just pad in 5-8 days at the end of the year that can be used if needed.

I agree about their radars, I pretty much use Dacula's radars all the time now. Fairly quick loading and accurate IMO

Thank you very much!

I have multiple types of radars, java loops, flash loops, google loops, and the GRlevel3 radar pages. All images for all radars come directly from the NWS servers, no go betweens.

All I'm going to say is we are dropping like a rock around here. Weather stations around here are already below freezing. Stormsfury said Summerville is already 34 and precip is funneling in early to saturate us. It's snowing at AbsolutZero's house in Peachtree, Snowing in Carrolton GA already.. this is moving faster and much stronger than expected currently.

It's 29 here in North Myrtle Beach, SC! Stronger and faster sounds good to me!

All I'm going to say is we are dropping like a rock around here. Weather stations around here are already below freezing. Stormsfury said Summerville is already 34 and precip is funneling in early to saturate us. It's snowing at AbsolutZero's house in Peachtree, Snowing in Carrolton GA already.. this is moving faster and much stronger than expected currently.

Yeah I agree. We are down to 35 here downtown already, and with the virga saturating the atmosphere we may have a nice surprise. Looks like precip will begin much earlier though.

Just drove home from the airport in ATL. Temps went from about 34 to 30 in the space of about 10 miles once I got onto SR 74 southbound from Tyrone into Peachtree city.

Light flakes at first, then some pingers. As I got into Ptree city it started pouring sleet/snow mix and its sticking to everything including the roads. Dangerous driving already

as the light melt and sleet seems to already be freezing. Highly recommend folks stay home in this. I'm sure the heavier precip band had the temps plummet as I drove

south on SR 74. This is very cool!

Archived