12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for any Georgia posters who might be in the know. My Mother has a flight out of Hartsfield Tues. afternoon. My Brother will be driving her down from Franklin,NC thru Clayton,Gainesville,ect. How well prepared is the GA DOT for an event like this? Esp in the more rural areas N of Atlanta. Thanks in Advance,Don

IMHO - it's all to be able to apply and get fed funds for clean-up and what-not.:devilsmiley:

Some of the "clean up crews are grossly overpaid, I know this as a long time friend was paid 18.00 hr. to watch haulers load trucks and follow to dump. Per Diem of 25.00 day, R&B, rental car plus travel pay to get there and return home.

Question for any Georgia posters who might be in the know. My Mother has a flight out of Hartsfield Tues. afternoon. My Brother will be driving her down from Franklin,NC thru Clayton,Gainesville,ect. How well prepared is the GA DOT for an event like this? Esp in the more rural areas N of Atlanta. Thanks in Advance,Don

That pretty much answers your question, stay off the roads tomorrow, especially the rural ones N of ATL. NC DOT has a website about road conditions during winter storms, not sure if GA DOT has the same, but your best bet it to get your information when making high risk decisions from local authorities, not this wx board.

That pretty much answers your question, stay off the roads tomorrow, especially the rural ones N of ATL. NC DOT has a website about road conditions during winter storms, not sure if GA DOT has the same, but your best bet it to get your information when making high risk decisions from local authorities, not this wx board.

The DOT here is pretty bad, it doesn't help that the state is basically broke. You might be OK if you're driving on Tuesday, the main roads should be treated by then, but there is no guarantee.

76/515 thru Rabun, Towns and Union counties is decent. 515 will become 575, merge to 75 and head to Hartsfield I would check GDOT first!

Sage Advice & my recommendation of reschedule was ignored.(no one listens to the weather junkie) Just curious if anyone with local knowledge thinks they would have a better handle on it Tues. afternoon.

The DOT here is pretty bad, it doesn't help that the state is basically broke. You might be OK if you're driving on Tuesday, the main roads should be treated by then, but there is no guarantee.

Sorry, I mis-read his post and thought he was going out tomorrow afternoon. Rural secondary two-lane 55 roads around here are low priority, in fact they do not get touched really during winter storms. While the sun clears them over a couple days, shaded areas can still be bad, despite what one would think as the rest of the road looks fine.

What happened to the foot the NAM showed? :arrowhead: Did it go over Lookout's cliff? Oh wait...i'm sorry. :devilsmiley: I forgot we live in the upstate where it never snows that much.

Don't believe NWS GSP ever really counted the NAM.

Anyway the battle lines are drawn

Robert, Phil and Andy show the highest amounts here (8-12")

NWS says 4-8"

Hopefully our guys on here are right!

A very good problem to have!

Thanks Rosie, What about 441 thru Clayton to 975 thru Gainesville. This is their usual route.

Do not know those roads well, 441 is a great 4 lane but I am not familiar with that area, sorry I can''t tell you more. I would definitely check airline schedules before I left, airport will be a nightmare for several days.

Don't believe NWS GSP ever really counted the NAM.

Anyway the battle lines are drawn

Robert, Phil and Andy show the highest amounts here (8-12")

NWS says 4-8"

Hopefully our guys on here are right!

A very good problem to have!

Tonight: Occasional snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 20. South wind around 10 mph becoming east. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday: Occasional snow before 1pm, then occasional snow, freezing rain, and sleet. High near 30. East wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

NAM had this area getting crushed and tops from FFC is 7? I would not complain about the 7 inch total though!

Sorry, I mis-read his post and thought he was going out tomorrow afternoon. Rural secondary two-lane 55 roads around here are low priority, in fact they do not get touched really during winter storms. While the sun clears them over a couple days, shaded areas can still be bad, despite what one would think as the rest of the road looks fine.

In my town, at least, they do a good job at treating the secondary roads, but I'm in a suburban area so I assume rural areas are less well treated. But basically, after a major snow/ice storm in the South you should plan on facing rough road conditions for several days.

It's going to be a long couple of hours as I wait for precip to start falling. First radar returns are over me and heavier stuff is moving in, but it's going to fight hard to get to the surface.

Went out to dinner tonight and when we were walking out there were at least a dozen SCDOT workers waiting to eat. Walked outside and there were 1/2 a dozen snow plows and salt trucks lined up in the parking lot. I wished I had my camera.

All of I-40 and most of us70 on the way from Hillsborough to New Bern was pretreated, the only area that was not done was in Kinston, oddly. It was done in Craven County here in New Bern starting in Tuscarora.

Now I am on the sailboat waiting for the fail downeast NC

Why do you spend so much time in the East, do you work over here or something. I take it you are in New Bern now, but not on a sailboat... They were treating 264 here on Thursday well ahead of the failed clipper. Have not seen any trucks out since then but imagine they are doing the same. 264 is the only road near me that gets any attention, the rural secondary I live off of never gets touched.

Archived