• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

Indeed.... good luck getting your 6-8"! Rain and snow with emphasis of snow is what the local news outlets are saying for Craven Co.

I don't listen to local mets anymore than I do wx weenies here. Some combo of the two with slight attention to the short term models is usually best.

Meh.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't listen to local mets anymore than I do wx weenies here. Some combo of the two with slight attention to the short term models is usually best.

Meh.

That reminds me, why in the world did anyone here decide to describe themselves as a weather weenie? Couldn't be a lamer choice of words for an enthusiastic weather person.

nope, no fail thread yet lol. you can have a fail until the time has passed for the event to start :scooter: that band in atl is moving north...although the waiting is driving me crazy :yikes:

That band is bullseying anderson...us on the other hand have a big donut hole headed our way in the near future.

That band is bullseying anderson...us on the other hand have a big donut hole headed our way in the near future.

i really really really really (get it lol) hope that heavy band holds together to our area. i mean the rates are 1-2" per hourly apparently :snowman: :snowman:

that is almost unheard here as far as i can remember. :popcorn::guitar:

The 12Z and 18Z GFS really dampens the hopes for any substantial, sustained warm-ups through the end of those runs. In fact, there appear to be several more opportunities for storms throughout the period.

I was going to ask about the "next " storm possibility, but Sun (1/16) appears too warm now..and rainy. The nao is going to head back positive before the end of the month I believe.

I was going to ask about the "next " storm possibility, but Sun (1/16) appears too warm now..and rainy. The nao is going to head back positive before the end of the month I believe.

i can barely think tonight and about the pending storm let alone something that far out :snowman: its slowing shifting northward, and a very painful wait lol

What the heck ? NWS gives me a chance of snow through thursday. lol

I bet it's over tuesday morning. snow showers never work out here because of downsloping.

OVERNIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW TOWARD DAWN.

COLD. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE

WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW

ACCUMULATION AROUND AN INCH. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...SNOW. A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN AND FREEZING

DRIZZLE AFTER MIDNIGHT. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO

3 INCHES. ICE ACCUMULATION AROUND A TRACE. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...A CHANCE OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW AND FREEZING DRIZZLE. LITTLE OR NO

ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW

SHOWERS. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. COLD WITH LOWS IN THE

LOWER 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS.

.WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. A 50 PERCENT

CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. LOWS AROUND 20.

WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 10 ABOVE.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT. WIND

CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 5 ABOVE IN THE MORNING.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow. NWS and WRAL make it seem like it will do nothing. But the models keep shoing more precip here than they are forecasting. Not sure what the difference is, but this storm is going to either end up being nothing and a big fail, or the models are going to be right and the forecasts are going to be a big bust.

Of course, I don't know why we believe any of the models or forecasts here when it comes to snow after Jan 2000. Most of the time when it comes to snow here, it's just a big guess with what will really happen. You never know until it happens.

I agree with that. The massive fail on predicting that one in 2000 is why I take their forecasts with a grain of salt now when it comes to snow. I remember how they originally said we'd be lucky to get an inch or two, only to keep changing it every few hours. They basically had to say then that they had no clue how bad it was going to eventually get when all was said and done while it was still coming down.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow. NWS and WRAL make it seem like it will do nothing. But the models keep shoing more precip here than they are forecasting. Not sure what the difference is, but this storm is going to either end up being nothing and a big fail, or the models are going to be right and the forecasts are going to be a big bust.

Do you mean the RUC and the GGEM? GFS and NAM seem to be giving up and matching Fishel.

Looks like it's over for central and eastern NC. Precip cutoff 50 miles SW of the Triangle. Flurries and freezing drizzle. This reminds me of those storms in the summer that would kind of get going over the deep south but fizzle by the time they got here. I got used to those, I guess I should get used to these.

Archived