joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at FL 320 coming into ATL from the NE over the western part of the carolinas when i noticed the wind was a bit stronger. almost 160kts vice about 120 or so as forecast.

Thats actually very important for the intensification of our surface cyclone. A stronger jet while the upper level system is still under the favorable right entrance region of the jet means greater divergence, greater lift over the area, and a stronger surface low.

Thats actually very important for the intensification of our surface cyclone. A stronger jet while the upper level system is still under the favorable right entrance region of the jet means greater divergence, greater lift over the area, and a stronger surface low.

I just learnt a tad more....:popcorn:

This system is extremely irritating to me. The good snow totals are like 100 miles away and I'm gonna get an inch and then probably .25" of ice. Ugh.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Don't get too discouraged.....we had a good Xmas snow.

Besides, I think we're gonna see more than 0.25" of ice plus, Robert and others are convinced the SFL with get a little stronger and gain more lift.

In my years, I've seem SFL's come of land into the Atlantic around the Savannah, Charleston line and intesify....The Fish on WRAL has missed those 3 times since he's been at WRAL.

Looks like this SFL may saturate our air better than forecast from what I've seen on the WV Sat loop and its leading fingers and movement. . We're still 24 hrs out. All that SFL has to do is crawl the coast a little better, but the wind directions make that slim.:popcorn:

Don't get too discouraged.....we had a good Xmas snow.

Besides, I think we're gonna see more than 0.25" of ice plus, Robert and others are convinced the SFL with get a little stronger and gain more lift.

In my years, I've seem SFL's come of land into the Atlantic around the Savannah, Charleston line and intesify....The Fish on WRAL has missed those 3 times since he's been at WRAL.

Looks like this SFL may saturate our air better than forecast from what I've seen on the WV Sat loop and its leading fingers and movement. . We're still 24 hrs out. All that SFL has to do is crawl the coast a little better, but the wind directions make that slim.:popcorn:

Wells its fairly obvious we have the same rooting interests in this thing. I'm on the Franklin Co. side of Vance Co. so were close. Something needs to happen fast, or were gonna just get a dern mess. Yuck. And yeah, for Fishel to be such a snow lover, hes wrong a LOT.

I am NOT comparing this to the 2000 storm, but at 6pm the night before he was talking about some 3-4". Woke up with 20". Looking back, I remember Bill Reh had it right, and was about the only one to around here.

I feel like the qpfs are a little low, with a little shifting and a little luck with the freezing line theres an outside shot at 5" for us I think. Or I could still be dreaming.

Wells its fairly obvious we have the same rooting interests in this thing. I'm on the Franklin Co. side of Vance Co. so were close. Something needs to happen fast, or were gonna just get a dern mess. Yuck. And yeah, for Fishel to be such a snow lover, hes wrong a LOT.

I am NOT comparing this to the 2000 storm, but at 6pm the night before he was talking about some 3-4". Woke up with 20". Looking back, I remember Bill Reh had it right, and was about the only one to around here.

I feel like the qpfs are a little low, with a little shifting and a little luck with the freezing line theres an outside shot at 5" for us I think. Or I could still be dreaming.

Take a look at this GEM 12z precip run - just one of the may models.

http://meteocentre.com/animate.php?lang=en&satdir=/models/gemreg_amer_12/&satname=gemregPR12&satext=gif&num=17&speed=10&title=GEM-REG%2012Z%20ANIM

IMO if Fish is wrong on this storm it wouldn't be his fault. All the guidence out there is showing the exteme dry air and the moisture having problems getting into this area. I really don't think he can go against guidence and say this is what the models are showing but I think there wrong. Also I wouldn't count on the lp system to become stonger until off the NC/Va. coast. At that time it is a little to late for us. I really hate to be a downer but I really don't expect a lot of qpf for our area. But if we do get .5 qpf as some models have shown it could still be a mess. When you're talking about 2" of snow w/ ip and zr on top of that it would be messy.

IMO if Fish is wrong on this storm it wouldn't be his fault. All the guidence out there is showing the exteme dry air and the moisture having problems getting into this area. I really don't think he can go against guidence and say this is what the models are showing but I think there wrong. Also I wouldn't count on the lp system to become stonger until off the NC/Va. coast. At that time it is a little to late for us. I really hate to be a downer but I really don't expect a lot of qpf for our area. But if we do get .5 qpf as some models have shown it could still be a mess. When you're talking about 2" of snow w/ ip and zr on top of that it would be messy.

If we get the 2" sn, ip on top of that (.5 inch or so, then zr.....none of us but the fools will try to drive on that. 4wd w/ studded sn tires is about all I'd try to drive with on such a possibility.

I'm wondering just how shallow the cold air is over us and just how dry it is & for what thicknesses (RH profile).:popcorn:

This storm is a good example of why you don't want to be in the bullseye several days out. We went from historic 6"+ amounts here in the ATL metro to 2-4", and maybe very little in the southern burbs. I'll be more than happy with 2-4" and enough ice to shut things down for a day or two though!

Archived