• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Models did ok with this. They showed the Cape getting snow and the band near ORH and ern CT. Sucks you don't get snow.

I'm pretty sure everyone in SE MA will disagree with you re how they did but it doesn't really matter. I was on the low side of projections, like you and Will I had a bad feeling and the NOGAPs trend rule of 3 runs kind of won again.

3" vs 4-8 or several inches not bad. 2" is okay. 0" versus 4-8" and solid .4 to .6" QPF totals from every single model..

Looking through the levels on the NAM 12z vs 0z...it's a pretty big error to not understand there would be essentially two centers of low pressure where it counted vs one consolidated. That's a 12 hour forecast that was horrific. It's not really a meso scale thing when it cannot place an 8h low center correctly and is off by several contours at 12 hours.

In the end my little illustration last night played out. It shot out east and the models tried to hold onto the western solution but all failed.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure everyone in SE MA will disagree with you re how they did but it doesn't really matter. I was on the low side of projections, like you and Will I had a bad feeling and the NOGAPs trend rule of 3 runs kind of won again.

3" vs 4-8 or several inches not bad. 2" is okay. 0" versus 4-8" and solid .4 to .6" QPF totals from every single model..

Looking through the levels on the NAM 12z vs 0z...it's a pretty big error to not understand there would be essentially two centers of low pressure where it counted vs one consolidated. That's a 12 hour forecast that was horrific. It's not really a meso scale thing when it cannot place an 8h low center correctly and is off by several contours at 12 hours.

I don't care what the qpf showed, but it did show the areas of lift due to specific processes. I must have mentioned it like 4 times today. We still may see se mass catch up a bit later tonight, especially if the stuff in the GOM comes through, but not high confidence on that. I think the 00z euro even had only 0.15" to 0.25" for BOS and pym county, so that will come close. 12z Euro may be too high, but it still highlighted the hotspots. It came pretty close to my expectations. I have 2.1" so far.

In the end my little illustration last night played out. It shot out east and the models tried to hold onto the western solution but all failed.

Major fail here too, yesterday and today. My 1-3" forecast last night resulted in .25" of snow, and 3-5" forecast today and I don't have even an inch from this storm today, its been "snowing" for 2.5 hours here.

messenger you sound like you are about to "lose it". the extreme blocking when coupled with the nina's typical fast flow and multiple vortex's has given models headache's.......it's a anomalous pattern and that is why they have sucked on the whole.

My expectations on the whole were much lower than most for this event starting later yesterday. Today it looked like a turd burger. It's an amazing system, look at the water vapor, it's just got two centers and we're closer to the wrong one.

I don't care what the qpf showed, but it did show the areas of lift due to specific processes. I must have mentioned it like 4 times today. We still may see se mass catch up a bit later tonight, especially if the stuff in the GOM comes through, but not high confidence on that. I think the 00z euro even had only 0.25" to 0.25" for BOS and pym county, so that will come close. 12z Euro may be too high, but it still highlighted the hotspots. It came pretty close to my expectations. I have 2.1" so far.

All models showed QPF here because they showed some specific process to drive it. They were wrong because the centers were either too strongly modeled, or in the wrong spot. I don't think in the end anyone cares why this turned into nothing down here,, it's a bust as the predicted outcome isn't likely to come close to happening.

I hope when the pattern relaxes some the models settle because this one will sting forecasters for awhile down here. This was bad Scott and it was simply that the models couldn't grasp the eastern center was going to be the dominate one. Not sure why that happened, but it did.

My expectations on the whole were much lower than most for this event starting later yesterday. Today it looked like a turd burger. It's an amazing system, look at the water vapor, it's just got two centers and we're closer to the wrong one.

All models showed QPF here because they showed some specific process to drive it. They were wrong because the centers were either too strongly modeled, or in the wrong spot. I don't think in the end anyone cares why this turned into nothing down here,, it's a bust as the predicted outcome isn't likely to come close to happening.

I hope when the pattern relaxes some the models settle because this one will sting forecasters for awhile down here.

The good news is most of the TV mets had 2-4", 3-5" type amounts for the cape and didnt latch on to the WSW amounts from the NWS who had 7" as a common # down there. Most of the public will think 2-4" was forecasted and will be completly unaware of the WSW issued.

Major fail here too, yesterday and today. My 1-3" forecast last night resulted in .25" of snow, and 3-5" forecast today and I don't have even an inch from this storm today, its been "snowing" for 2.5 hours here.

It's not that things were a little off, they weren't even close aside of the trough.

Looking at the meso, that band is about to ramp up even more. Going to be incredible snow rates for the next few hours.

The good news is most of the TV mets had 2-4", 3-5" type amounts for the cape and didnt latch on to the WSW amounts from the NWS who had 7" as a common # down there. Most of the public will think 2-4" was forecasted and will be completly unaware of the WSW issued.

Actually I bet a lot of people are surprised that it's snowing at all tonight. For the entire week all the public was hearing about was snow on Friday and Friday night. Nothing about Saturday night. Messenger was one of the first ones in the business to sniff out tonight's event long before the local tv forecasters or the NWS grid forecasts. In fact none of the local forecasters I saw even mentioned tonight's event until yesterday morning.

I hope when the pattern relaxes some the models settle because this one will sting forecasters for awhile down here. This was bad Scott and it was simply that the models couldn't grasp the eastern center was going to be the dominate one. Not sure why that happened, but it did.

But you could kind of see what was going on from last night's runs. It showed a mini screw zone for your area through BOS. In the end, the euro qpf from last night probably won't be all that far off, when you consider those nasty squalls that were down there. Even the SREFs last night kept the 0.5" line down by MVY. GFS at least as of now, was probably too aggressive.

I didn't forecast for your area. I had to worry about BOS, NYC and the impending snow and ice storm down south, so I could micro analyze for your area, like you did.

Archived