Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is most of the TV mets had 2-4", 3-5" type amounts for the cape and didnt latch on to the WSW amounts from the NWS who had 7" as a common # down there. Most of the public will think 2-4" was forecasted and will be completly unaware of the WSW issued.

I didnt catch barry today. He's probably my favorite aside of Harv for inside of 24 hours. He's just got so much experience with events in New England. The benefit of being here for 30 years.

He called it pretty quickly late this afternoon.

I don't blame the forecasters at all, when you have no single model that can get a 12-18 hour forecast right, SREF's, Euro, NAM etc....what are they to do? NOAA has guidelines and you aren't going to nor should you get a forecaster that ignores almost total consensus. They did their jobs. feel bad for them.

--

We are under the 20 dbz here. It's a mix of light rain and snow, 36 degrees. It's so light the deck isn't even wet.

I didnt catch barry today. He's probably my favorite aside of Harv for inside of 24 hours. He's just got so much experience with events in New England. The benefit of being here for 30 years.

He called it pretty quickly late this afternoon.

I don't blame the forecasters at all, when you have no single model that can get a 12-18 hour forecast right, SREF's, Euro, NAM etc....what are they to do? NOAA has guidelines and you aren't going to nor should you get a forecaster that ignores almost total consensus. They did their jobs. feel bad for them.

--

We are under the 20 dbz here. It's a mix of light rain and snow, 36 degrees. It's so light the deck isn't even wet.

I deff. agree with this. Forecasters get so much sh*t for not forecasting well enough when its obviously not their fault.

But you could kind of see what was going on from last night's runs. It showed a mini screw zone for your area through BOS. In the end, the euro qpf from last night probably won't be all that far off, when you consider those nasty squalls that were down there. Even the SREFs last night kept the 0.5" line down by MVY. GFS at least as of now, was probably too aggressive.

I didn't forecast for your area. I had to worry about BOS, NYC and the impending snow and ice storm down south, so I could micro analyze for your area, like you did.

There were runs of each model that were "right" but I think most forecasters most of the time would take consensus at 12z esp when supported by the Euro.

The ARW nailed it right down to that mega band that moved towards Gloucester and died. That's interesting to me.

We talked about the twin zones with a gap in the middle, what the models totally blew was the edge of the comma head which got nowhere close. Like you said it looked like a potential screw zone but the radar is just ugly SE. The error was simple really, they just didn't grasp the focus would jump east. It's a magnificent storm for sure, modeled at the surface fairly well but again a bit of a struggle from 500-850.

There were runs of each model that were "right" but I think most forecasters most of the time would take consensus at 12z esp when supported by the Euro.

The ARW nailed it right down to that mega band that moved towards Gloucester and died. That's interesting to me.

We talked about the twin zones with a gap in the middle, what the models totally blew was the edge of the comma head which got nowhere close. Like you said it looked like a potential screw zone but the radar is just ugly SE. The error was simple really, they just didn't grasp the focus would jump east. It's a magnificent storm for sure, modeled at the surface fairly well but again a bit of a struggle from 500-850.

Here is the HRRR.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr&domain=t3&run_time=08+Jan+2011+-+12Z

Loop composite reflectivity. It actually got the band and everything right. Of course this is a nowcast model and I'm trying to see how it works, but it has its moments.

Here is the HRRR.

http://rapidrefresh....+Jan+2011+-+12Z

Loop composite reflectivity. It actually got the band and everything right. Of course this is a nowcast model and I'm trying to see how it works, but it has its moments.

I've been following it for a year or so now. It has its moments, but I prefer it over the RUC.

Most of Rhode Island SW of PVD looks good for 5-6 inches plus. Newport has a little over 2 inches but we've been 15 miles east of the heavy bands all night. It's absolutely amazing how this little seaside city always finds a way to get the least amount of snow in this area!!!! For once, at least it's not raining here.

I deff. agree with this. Forecasters get so much sh*t for not forecasting well enough when its obviously not their fault.

The only criticism I'd have and it's minor is it looked like a turd by mid-afternoon aside of the death band. I'm talking about down here. The general 1-3" and banding in CT/RI worked out fine. It just looked like - and the 18z models all indicated this was going bad down here so maybe when Barry made his jump others could have too. I know some of you know Burbank....those that do can read between the lines he really wanted to say he didn't think it was going to snow much at all here. When he leans like he did...going back to the early 80s its always a bad sign.

But I think NOAA has specific rules they must follow. Why they just refreshed the warning at 1052pm for 4-8 inches...I have no idea but I hope they score a coup.

It's so warm on the Cape it'll take an hour just to cool the column enough to make it stick.

The death band is going to hold strong for several more hours as it drops south. Not sure why warnings aren't out there.

Wind is really coming up now. Radar would suggest steadier precip rotates west onto the cape in the next few hrs...should still manage accumulating snow I would think....especially as most guidance didn't get precip going until about this hr +\-

Euro would verify well if that happens...it actually showed most of the Cape QPF after 06z while the stuff in the interior was between 00z and 06z.

The only criticism I'd have and it's minor is it looked like a turd by mid-afternoon aside of the death band. I'm talking about down here. The general 1-3" and banding in CT/RI worked out fine. It just looked like - and the 18z models all indicated this was going bad down here so maybe when Barry made his jump others could have too. I know some of you know Burbank....those that do can read between the lines he really wanted to say he didn't think it was going to snow much at all here. When he leans like he did...going back to the early 80s its always a bad sign.

But I think NOAA has specific rules they must follow. Why they just refreshed the warning at 1052pm for 4-8 inches...I have no idea but I hope they score a coup.

It's so warm on the Cape it'll take an hour just to cool the column enough to make it stick.

The death band is going to hold strong for several more hours as it drops south. Not sure why warnings aren't out there.

Hey like I said...wait until all is said and done. It might not be a bust.

Here is the HRRR.

http://rapidrefresh....+Jan+2011+-+12Z

Thanks!

THe RUC actually wasn't bad. It's had most of the day the death band and gradually placed it right. It's been absolutely consistent in getting the cCB nowhere near us.

Jets v Patriots.

BTW, I'm not sure there's any defending keeping the warning out for the Cape, but that's just me.

Archived