CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do people not know what an inverted trough is? Its a bowing back of the isobars from a low center...and usually there is a focus of heavier precip along it. It doesn't have to be a norlun....those are a specific type of inverted trough.

You can get comma-head type precip on an inverted trough...the main difference though between these types of storms and a traditional CCB is that you are lacking huge inflow from the atlantic....you are relying a lot more on PVA and upper level divergence vs isentropic lift and ml frontogenesis.

Do people not know what an inverted trough is? Its a bowing back of the isobars from a low center...and usually there is a focus of heavier precip along it. It doesn't have to be a norlun....those are a specific type of inverted trough.

You can get comma-head type precip on an inverted trough...the main difference though between these types of storms and a traditional CCB is that you are lacking huge inflow from the atlantic....you are relying a lot more on PVA and upper level divergence vs isentropic lift and ml frontogenesis.

Thank you for quieting down the peanut gallery. If it looks like a trough and smells like a trough...it's a trough..Us FTW

Thank you for quieting down the peanut gallery. If it looks like a trough and smells like a trough...it's a trough..Us FTW

I know it's a weather forum and I like to see and encourage these weather debates, but going on for 6 pages on whether or not this is an inverted trough or comma head is a bit annoying. Post your arguments and let the rest decide...it's like politics, you're not going to change people's minds.

It is snow falling from the sky. I WIN.

Didn't we have this argument with storm 1 back in December when you said you wouldnt get all excited over an inverted trough that might give someone down here an 1" or 2" and we got 10+ on the Cape?

I know it's a weather forum and I like to see and encourage these weather debates, but going on for 6 pages on whether or not this is an inverted trough or comma head is a bit annoying. Post your arguments and let the rest decide...it's like politics, you're not going to change people's minds.

I think i made 3 posts on it..maybe 4..????

LOL. It's both depending on where you are and it's irrelevant because we're not likely to see the same solutions in future runs but interesting consistency in the ENS

Guy on channel 7 talking about a wave of low pressure, several inches of snow over all of the area from Boston to PVD and SE.

00zgfsensemblep72084.gif

12zgfsensemblep72084.gif

Didn't we have this argument with storm 1 back in December when you said you wouldnt get all excited over an inverted trough that might give someone down here an 1" or 2" and we got 10+ on the Cape?

That has nothing to do with what I said...pulling up a forecast that everyone busted on that has nothing to do with the definition of an inverted trough isn't exactly productive.

Should I pull up the time you said when its snowing and 24F in plymouth, that doesn't equal a snowstorm in the interior on Jan 10-11, 2009? Or what about ORH getting 0.96" of qpf on March 1-2, 2009 when you claim the NAM did an exceptional job? None of that crap is very useful to the discussion.

If this low gets wrapped up enough west, then it will be less an inverted trough and have more characteristics of a traditional ccb/commahead. But if its stays status quo or only comes slighly west, its will most definitely be an inverted trough where some decent qpf is focused, but nothing insane.

All due respect Will but its semantics and the Nam shows a traditional inflow with closed ML centers passing underneath us , that's what I am talking about. The poster who complained about the discussion

, dude nothing changes in the next five min, 2-4 pedestrian

4177f241-4ebc-12c3.jpg

This kind of reminds me of an event from a couple years ago. Not sure if it was an inverted trough scenario or not, so setup may have been completely different. But there was a weak system that was advertised to drop a solid 2-4" across much of SNE. I know we ended up a bit too warm at the coast and didn't even squeeze out an inch...I was bummed. But then the next night....a surprise coastal ended up clipping us and dropping almost 5". I think this was 1/18-1/19/2009. I gotta see what that setup was...but I don't remember the first even being an inverted trough norlun type event.

i remember that! great surprise!

LOL. It's both depending on where you are and it's irrelevant because we're not likely to see the same solutions in future runs but interesting consistency in the ENS

Guy on channel 7 talking about a wave of low pressure, several inches of snow over all of the area from Boston to PVD and SE.

Nice--not sure if I"m reading the times right, but it looks like it even gives GC .25" after this initial event. Probably reading it wrong (?).

Light snow, 22.9/15.

last night, many (not all) of the calls were for it to start in the early AM and the calls were 4-8 inches....here we sit at noon with flurries and wet roads.

My forecast has been dead on... it's not my problem that some can't read a computer model. Forecasts have been pretty good last 36 hours IMO.

All due respect Will but its semantics and the Nam shows a traditional inflow with closed ML centers passing underneath us , that's what I am talking about. The poster who complained about the discussion

, dude nothing changes in the next five min, 2-4 pedestrian

Steve, the NAM is definitely closer to something more....but still, pull up the h7 map, you probably won't find anything over 20 knots form the east....which is pretty weak for a coastal. If we get it captured sooner and wrapped up a bit, then we'll see all of those parameters increase.

The second low stems from an inverted trough. However, this inv trough actually develops into a center of low pressure, both with accompanying mid level centers. The thing is, it still has isobars bowing back towards the ULL, so it does hang on to some inv trough characteristics. It has similarities to both.

The second low stems from an inverted trough. However, this inv trough actually develops into a center of low pressure, both with accompanying mid level centers. The thing is, it still has isobars bowing back towards the ULL, so it does hang on to some inv trough characteristics. It has similarities to both.

Yeah I'm not sure why that is so difficult to get across...we said it can have ccb characteristics....its not a black and white thing.

It's a hybrid...nice. Now if I can somehow get 2-4" of fresh snow by Sun AM, I'll be as happy as Hugh Hefner on his birthday.

That has nothing to do with what I said...pulling up a forecast that everyone busted on that has nothing to do with the definition of an inverted trough isn't exactly productive.

Should I pull up the time you said when its snowing and 24F in plymouth, that doesn't equal a snowstorm in the interior on Jan 10-11, 2009? Or what about ORH getting 0.96" of qpf on March 1-2, 2009 when you claim the NAM did an exceptional job? None of that crap is very useful to the discussion.

If this low gets wrapped up enough west, then it will be less an inverted trough and have more characteristics of a traditional ccb/commahead. But if its stays status quo or only comes slighly west, its will most definitely be an inverted trough where some decent qpf is focused, but nothing insane.

When you actually mention those things there's no need to say "should I mention" because you actually did mention it. The comical part is you had those references at your fingertips from 1-2 years ago.

If you'd just made the last point an hour ago a lot of this would have been moot but I'm sure this was all fun for Kev.

Maybe if you'd said what you said earlier directly to Kev instead of him running around saying it's 100% the trough there would have been more clarity.

Archived