Newest Member
    CHSVol
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about? All the forecsasts I've seen have been spot on

Took the words right out of my mouth. Given the circumstances, I think the forecasts from two days ago have been pretty good. No one went crazy with snow totals, and the placement of the heaviest snow really hasn't changed in the last couple of days. What more could you ask for?

Looks like we saw a lapse in the W trend for the saturday system with the exception of the nam.

Do you think so?

I want a subtle drift of 150 miles.

Drift the wrong way. Subtle timing but it's hard to believe even with the problems modeling they're trending the wrong way.

RGEM/UK/GFS are all pretty close to better things but for how long? There's still so many variables just time to watch and I suspect we won't see the ultimate solution good or terrible until 0z.

Oh yea the ratio was 8 . 5, I thought the GFS looked nice and more west?

GFS was better at 00z last night. I thought most models were except the NAM. Looks like the 2nd system will just be a tease....but maybe we can yank it west at the last second.

GFS was better at 00z last night. I thought most models were except the NAM. Looks like the 2nd system will just be a tease....but maybe we can yank it west at the last second.

But remember it's an inverted trough and not the actual low..That's what we'll need. The low will never come back enough for synoptic snows

They all do it. 12/13/07 wasn't in issue bc all the schools were closed or closed early the issue was commuters leaving work.

For the past 5 or 6 years they'll close for any accumulation over an inch or two during the day. Worried about lawsuits.

Yeap. And I graduated HS in 2004. :arrowhead: Such is life. We really did have to drive to and from school in some horrible conditions...though we did get some great free days like this. Just not as often.

Flurries, occasional light snow here, mostly melting on contact.

But remember it's an inverted trough and not the actual low..That's what we'll need. The low will never come back enough for synoptic snows

UKMET shows a 985mb low right over or just east of the BM position. RGEM went a tad to the east, NAM is the farthest west now, and the GGEM went a tad to the east now. Still waiting until the 00z suite before jumping ship or jumping onto the bandwagon.

Look at that band of heavy snow over LI..Impressive

Coming right for me!

And I do not think it can be overstated how disconnected superintendents are from forecasters. They watch the TV and do not understand what is said on it.

Politics also plays a major role - do we have to sand the streets so fast if the kids are home? Nope. Do we have to clear the school sidewalks? Nope. Do we have to run the heat for half a day? Nope. And so forth. When the town budgets are strained like they are it makes more sense to give everyone the day (in their minds). It's so much easier for them logistically, and any criticism can be deflected by saying, "We erred on the side of caution, we care about the children!".

UKMET shows a 985mb low right over or just east of the BM position. RGEM went a tad to the east, NAM is the farthest west now, and the GGEM went a tad to the east now. Still waiting until the 00z suite before jumping ship or jumping onto the bandwagon.

He's not trying to make a point.

The NCEP consensus seems to be a track just SE of the BM.

WITH THE APPEARANCE

OF THE 12Z GFS...THERE IS DEFINITE MODEL CONVERGENCE TOWARDS A

SOLUTION ON THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE SPREAD...SO WILL PREFER A 12Z

GFS/00Z ECMWF/00Z CANADIAN COMPROMISE...WHICH MOVES THE LOW JUST

SOUTHEAST OF THE 40N 70W BENCHMARK.

I just don't understand why he can't grasp the fact it's a Norlun.It's got nothing to do with the low.

seems like a trough.....its snowing on a nice SSE-NNW narrow line from the US shore all the way to southern canada.....that line should rotate around the region with a pivot point in eastern ontario.

varying snow intensities most of the weekend, for the majority.

Most of us knew the snow wouldn't real;ly come into CT until later afternoon...maybe the superintendants should be given a link to American

working in CT after growing up in Canada was a real eye-opener in terms of school closures in CT. it used to make me really angry actually, lol. having said that, they defintely dont keep the roads as clear or have enough equimpent to deal with all the heavy population.

they neeed to hire Will or Scott or Debbie for sure, or someone with credentials AND knowledge that i've missed

Archived