wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of the posters issues stem from 2 ways we've approached this discussion over the past 15 years. The early years were often in live chat...intimate, personal...too much so often, but designed for quicker and freer exchange. I personally am more suited to this format now but it may have been easier for me to break in for a number of reasons. One of which I was already advanced in years with all kinds of life experience and had been insulted publiclly in far more humiliating ways than this bb. But the point they raise is well taken and we should at least understand why they are coming at it from that perspective even if we don't agree with it from our own points of view.

Well said Jerry...empathy is a good thing and useful life skill

as his final post states, he was tired of the cliques. also, of having made many good contributing posts and those went ignored.

But frankly it seems a bit childish. He made posts, wasn't listened to, took his marbles and went home. I understand but his behavior was not adult like. He's welcome back. I've personally gone from wise poster to irrelevant poster and now somewhere in the middle. All good...it's part of the fun of it all and if I left I probably wouldn't blame the group for my particular problem.

Yes! She actually broke away even before the rest of us did. And then there were the fights. And Marcus never trusting any system to bring him snow....

96 Marcus was scared right up to go, , I remember the guy from Syracuse who worked at Millstone Power plant busting my balls mercilessly about being in the SWRI snow hole, until,92 93 95 96 that is. A lot of these people I met for the first time at Blue Hill in 92 when I was working for the State of RI climatologist Carl Sawyer

I think some of the posters issues stem from 2 ways we've approached this discussion over the past 15 years. The early years were often in live chat...intimate, personal...too much so often, but designed for quicker and freer exchange. I personally am more suited to this format now but it may have been easier for me to break in for a number of reasons. One of which I was already advanced in years with all kinds of life experience and had been insulted publiclly in far more humiliating ways than this bb. But the point they raise is well taken and we should at least understand why they are coming at it from that perspective even if we don't agree with it from our own points of view.

I've been on here for four years now (I think). A novice, I have had some concepts/questions really well explained (read; dumb-downed) by mets and others. Most of what I learn though comes from osmosis of being here and being part of the discussion. Of course, as far as osmosis goes, I'm a pretty crappy sponge. lol

31.5/21

But frankly it seems a bit childish. He made posts, wasn't listened to, took his marbles and went home. I understand but his behavior was not adult like. He's welcome back. I've personally gone from wise poster to irrelevant poster and now somewhere in the middle. All good...it's part of the fun of it all and if I left I probably wouldn't blame the group for my particular problem.

Sounds like a drama queen, he and DT should get along well.

as his final post states, he was tired of the cliques. also, of having made many good contributing posts and those went ignored.

I looked through the posts on his page and he seemed pretty engaged with many of the regulars on here. It's not like someone can come on here and make best friends after almost no time. I'd say if this board is getting on both of your nerves then you'll be happier to leave anyways, but as many of the regulars have posted feel free to keep contributing and consider coming to one of the get togethers. It goes a long way to putting a face to an anonymous online screen name.

If you would rather just be victims of the clique then by all means, that's your choice.

His posts weren't ignored, they simply were not responded to. I think that is a pivotal difference.

I think Jerry hit the nail on the head in that the problem is his; taking exception to a dearth of responses to his posts is a manifestation of his insecurities IMHO....sorry if that offends he and\or she, but I call 'em how I see 'em.

Fair enough; I apologize for being a tad abrasive, but I vehemently disagree with Jen's assertion.

Holy Sh*t, you can be a total azzhole.lol Newbies need to just jump in and assert themselves. It takes a while to get a handle on the various personalities and it's easy to make an unwitting misstep. I think one of my first posts mocked a statement from Will saying that ORH was the hotbed for SNE snowfall. I told him something like ORH couldn't hold a Candle to the Spine of the Berks or something like that. I remember seeing his Darth Vader avatar and thinking "who does this nerd think he's kidding." Little did I know he was a very astute Met.

Still, ORH is a distant 2nd.lol I actually think this place is quite accepting of everyone with a few exceptions. I've certainly asked my fair share of newbie questions and always found a kind response from someone. I think Scott (Coastalwx) has always been very helpful to me and anyone else that asks a question. However, there are vicious sharks as well, I remember getting really pissed that Blizz dared to 'weenie' me. I realize now it's more of a term of endearment than anything else and it was simply his clumsy way of expressing his man crush for me.

I looked through the posts on his page and he seemed pretty engaged with many of the regulars on here. It's not like someone can come on here and make best friends after almost no time. I'd say if this board is getting on both of your nerves then you'll be happier to leave anyways, but as many of the regulars have posted feel free to keep contributing and consider coming to one of the get togethers. It goes a long way to putting a face to an anonymous online screen name.

If you would rather just be victims of the clique then by all means, that's your choice.

100% agreed....good post.

Holy Sh*t, you can be a total azzhole.lol Newbies need to just jump in and assert themselves. It takes a while to get a handle on the various personalities and it's easy to make an unwitting misstep. I think one of my first posts mocked a statement from Will saying that ORH was the hotbed for SNE snowfall. I told him something like ORH couldn't hold a Candle to the Spine of the Berks or something like that. I remember seeing his Darth Vader avatar and thinking "who does this nerd think he's kidding." Little did I know he was a very astute Met.

Still, ORH is a distant 2nd.lol I actually think this place is quite accepting of everyone with a few exceptions. I've certainly asked my fair share of newbie questions and always found a kind response from someone. I think Scott (Coastalwx) has always been very helpful to me and anyone else that asks a question. However, there are vicious sharks as well, I remember getting really pissed that Blizz dared to 'weenie' me. I realize now it's more of a term of endearment than anything else and it was simply his clumsy way of expressing his man crush for me.

I'm still ascared of him...

LOL Blizz ftw then

I think Jerry hit the nail on the head in that the problem is his; taking exception to a dearth of responses to his posts is a manifestation of his insecurities IMHO....sorry if that offends he and\or she, but I call 'em how I see 'em.

It's a wx board...people fire away posts all the time, and not all of them are capable of responses. That's just how the board goes...especially in this subforum. I never looked at a post that didn't get a response, as an insult or anything like that. Heck, sometimes I don't even see the posts, if the thread turns fast paced.

Words of wisdom here. I'd say to keep contributing on the wx side of things and maybe get involved in the mindless banter that this subforum is notorious for. It took a good while and several photoshops before I was ever issued a weenie by the Rev, which I consider an act of acceptance.

Archived