amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably have more snow cover than Old Forge. LOL They had like 5" going into this torch from what I understand. The only part of Upstate NY that has had any non LES related stuff is this easternmost corridor from last weeks event. Crazy but this clipper late week could be the first shot at a 6" snowfall for a lot of people outside of the favored lake belts. Assuming it doesn't keep slipping north.

34.4\34

Seems like I have about what Boston has, now....made up the difference via superior retention.

The American Robin is a permanent resident in basically all of the lower 48 states and even some parts of Canada. Many migrate down from the far reaches of Canada and filter through NE in the fall and spring. Many also leave here, but a small number remain. Another part of the perception that they leave totally is that in the spring, summer, and some of the fall they will be spread out in their own territories and feeding areas. In the fall and winter they will form flocks which makes it easier to find food, water, and avoid predation, so you will encounter them much less frequently because of this/the reduced numbers. You'll see bugs hatch like that once the temperature is above freezing year-round. And if you're near open water it makes it all the more likely of course. The same goes for finding birds.

Hmm, Red-winged Blackbirds? Brown-headed Cowbirds? European Starling? Common Grackle? A few decent guesses considering it a was big flock grass in a yard.

How come there are no baby pigeons?, never seen one

How come there are no baby pigeons?, never seen one

How many times have you seen a pigeon nest? Like most other birds they just stay out of the way and open until they're old enough and not so vulnerable. The nest would likely be in a sheltered spot as well like under the edge of a roof. And it's much easier to notice a big flock than one or two smaller ones somewhere. For what it's worth even though birds are what I do for a living I rarely see nests or young, too.

Of those birds...my best guess would be the starlings....

As would mine based on your location/their numbers. Feel free to take em out if they are making a mess. It's legal and would help.

How many times have you seen a pigeon nest? Like most other birds they just stay out of the way and open until they're old enough and not so vulnerable. The nest would likely be in a sheltered spot as well like under the edge of a roof. And it's much easier to notice a big flock than one or two smaller ones somewhere. For what it's worth even though birds are what I do for a living I rarely see nests or young, too.

As would mine based on your location/their numbers. Feel free to take em out if they are making a mess. It's legal and would help.

I see baby birds all the time, baby seagulls on the beach, there are billions of pigeons yet no little ones, Must be big eggs to hatch birds that big, how come people , cats never find dead baby pigeons. I mean I have found dead baby birds, ca t has too?

I see baby birds all the time, baby seagulls on the beach, there are billions of pigeons yet no little ones, Must be big eggs to hatch birds that big, how come people , cats never find dead baby pigeons. I mean I have found dead baby birds, ca t has too?

I hear that in 3 weeks they are as big if not bigger than their parents.. maybe that is the reason.. I don't know, but I agree.. they are everywhere but never babies,

I hear that in 3 weeks they are as big if not bigger than their parents.. maybe that is the reason.. I don't know, but I agree.. they are everywhere but never babies,

Yeah, some you'll see more since they breed in open areas, but pigeons would be nesting on a ledge under the side of a building or a rock ledge or cliff or something. Much more inaccessible and out of the way for us to notice instead of in a tree in a yard or in a depression in the sand on the beach or whatever.

GFS is atrocious... it's awfully far north with everything

Wouldn't climo favor a further north system? Late blooming Miller B's are more common for ME...

Doesn't look good for SNE...H85 Low at 114 is in northern MA, southern NH/VT. I'd think this is more light a disorganized area of light snow and snow showers. Maybe 1-3"? Not good. But it's the GFS past 100 hours. Take it FWIW.

Yes confirmed I think as European Starlings. I looked at their pic and description via google.

Well I hope we can pull something out of it. January can be an ugly month if you have lots of brown ground.

I would have been quite satisfied with a 3-6" clipper.... didn't need a 18" dump like Ray. LOL

GFS is going further north with the vortmax...still gives advisory snow...and another big hit for Maine....but the trend is not good there.

Quick burst of advisory snow here. I'd embrace it, even though I might not have a choice.

Not so sure...mentioned earlier...H85 Low is not in a good position...this looks like a disorganized area of light snow / snow showers south of the MA/NH border. Couple inches tops? The EURO gave Boston 1.8" QPF? Big differences.

Question is...Which depiction is more realistic? With the extreme blocking will this trend further SW. We saw in the last system how the best snows trended over NJ and NYC...much further SW than previously depicted, but I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples and oranges right now.

I'd give it until mid week before feeling too negative about it.....this is the range where we usually see potential wane on the models and I believe that type if blocking should nudge that PV south of us.

I wouldn't expect a clean phase and a blockbuster event, but a plowable event should be in order.

Yeah, i'm not feeling good about this right now.

Maybe a couple inches but I think the odds of a big storm are slowly dwindling.

I'd give it until mid week before feeling too negative about it.....this is the range where we usually see potential wane on the models and I believe that type if blocking should nudge that PV south of us.

I wouldn't expect a clean phase and a blockbuster event, but a plowable event should be in order.

Ryan, I'd hold off on getting too pessimistic....I think this one comes back.

I'd give it until mid week before feeling to negative about it.....this is the range where we usually see potential wane on the models and I believe that type if blocking should nudge that PV south of us.

That is a good approach to take. The differences in a lot of the guidance has actually increased in the past model run or two.

Archived