joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said anything about people from here.

Some people will always be envious of others when they receive more snow. It's a strange complex that I for one will never understand.

Those people just want the big snow. When people 50 miles away get clocked, it definitely will spur some weenie jealousy. I get disappointed if someone close by gets crushed with snow, and I'm left with a few inches, but at this stage of my life....it's more of a "It is what it is" type mentality. No sense of getting bent out of shape....that was for my younger years..lol.

I agree in general, but I don't think it's the case here. It was mostly Jake and Analog who are from the same general area.

It's a pointless argument given the nature of the storm as we have seen countless times around these parts. All it takes is one band over the span of a couple hours to make a difference.

It's a pointless argument given the nature of the storm as we have seen countless times around these parts. All it takes is one band over the span of a couple hours to make a difference.

Some people are bad at snow measurement too...we've seen plenty of times on this board when someone measured way higher than surrounding areas...it's a tough endeavor in a blizzard anyway.

Some people are bad at snow measurement too...we've seen plenty of times on this board when someone measured way higher than surrounding areas...it's a tough endeavor in a blizzard anyway.

Neighborhood to neighborhood you can see significant differences in snowfall around here, no way to compare your totals with anyone elses -in the hills anyway.

Neighborhood to neighborhood you can see significant differences in snowfall around here, no way to compare your totals with anyone elses -in the hills anyway.

There was about a 4" difference over 3 miles of ground in this last storm. And that was only a 6-8" storm,get up to a 25" and as you mentioned there can be huge differences.

In a lot of ways our totals in SNE can vary as much as what you see in the lake effect snows because of the ocean enhancement and banding.

One of the things that people can do..and this is more for those living near a reliable ASOS, is to look at the visibility reported. In general 1/2sm would mean about 1" per hour.. 0.75" may be more like 0.5 to 0.75" per hour...etc. It provides a good way of double checking your snowfall, especially if you are not home. Like anything, it's not perfect, but at least it provides a way to back up your total I suppose.

I don't know who is right or wrong, but big storms bring out the excited slant stickers. Happens all the time.

Well, From what i gathered, It kind of sounded like there was some drift sticking it seems, It was a tough storm for sure to measure as i had six areas i used that were non drifted areas and felt that i was accurate as i could have been, But there are instances that i have seen or read where totals were inflated and even placing rulers upside down, And like you said it happens all the time and will happen again.........

Some people's snow measurement are still suspect...you can't just hand wave and say well you can't compare..oh well

You are correct, sometimes snowfall measurements that are done incorrectly get thrown into the mix.

my point was smal microscale issues can have a huge impact. EX: My frontyard is the beginning of a hilltop and has 1-5" left with heavy heavy piles, my backyard and woods (460' down to 370' ele) is practiaclly bare. The hillside is east facing and was blown relatively clean in the latter part of last storm. the backyard depth is <1" , frontyard and top of hill overall averages somewhere around 2 to 2.5". That's two conflicting snowfall totals in less than 1/8 a mile.

Some people's snow measurement are still suspect...you can't just hand wave and say well you can't compare..oh well

A month ago I had a discussion with someone into climo.

If you go back over the last 30 years and look at snowstorm "size" its up about 30% in the northeast over the last 10-15 years during the internet age. But that doesn't carry to official reporting stations where the difference is within the noise. Is it that all these storms are hitting non-official stations, that there are fewer stations, that we are capturing data better now or something else?

Who knows!

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD 900 AM EST MON JAN 03 2011 VALID 12Z FRI JAN 07 2011 - 12Z MON JAN 10 2011 THE MAIN ALTERATION TO

THE UPDATED PRELIM PROGS WAS TO ADJUST SWWD A POSSIBLE MAJOR STORM ALONG THE NRN MID ATLANTIC COAST IN THE DAY 4-6 FRI-SUN TIME FRAME. WHILE THE DETERMINISTIC ECMWF IS A RATHER EXTREME SWRN OUTLIER IN DROPPING A PIECE OF POLAR VORTEX SSE ALL THE WAY FROM HUDSON BAY TO VA...THE 06Z/03 GFS HAS TRENDED A BIT TOWARDS THE ECMWF SOLUTION SAT...GIVING A NEWD ADJUSTED ECMWF SCENARIO SOME CREDIBILITY. THIS MAINTAINS REASONABLE HPC CONTINUITY WITH THIS POTENTIAL E COAST SYS OVER THE PAST TWO DAYS WHILE NOT OVERPLAYING ANALOGS...I STILL WANT TO POINT OUT SOME SIMILARITY IN THE PRESENT HPC SCENARIO THIS WEEKEND TO THAT OF FEB 6 1978...ESPECIALLY AT 500 MILLIBARS...WHICH WAS A MAJOR BLIZZARD FOR ERN PA/NY/NEW ENG.

Why TGR smokes Warren Miller films off the hill.

beautiful, sage and seth are two of my favorite skiers.

Just bought the Seth Morrison pro model Full Tilts...$600 later! Beautiful shot right there, beautiful line.

and now for something a little more my style

:thumbsup:

mute the volume...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdOUexGuRM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdOUexGuRM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdOUexGuRM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PmN3MIo1U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PmN3MIo1U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PmN3MIo1U?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived