• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

I have to say that as a relatively new member here - lurker from jan last winter to a new posting member this winter, it's posts like this one that can be intimidating to someone new on the board. You're questioning that person's subjective feelings about how they are treated. There aren't any quotes that can support such an assertion since it's entirely subjective.

Irregardless of that, I think this is an outstanding group of well informed enthusiasts and generally welcoming to new members (you included ray don't mean to pick on you by pulling out this quote). From a fellow newbie to the other newbies/lurkers don't be intimidated by the regular group of posters that seem like a clique they just have a weird way of welcoming us newbies but they mean no harm. Just refrain from IMBY posts and try to add substance to the discussion if you feel the need to post.

Two newbie questions of my own.

1. Got a gift card to B&N for xmas and looking for a good intro book that is accessible (ie not too technical) in order to learn some of the met basics.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/6849-favorite-weather-books/page__pid__213292#entry213292

2. Can someone link me to the site that has a layout of all the area temps - i lost the bookmark on it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that as a relatively new member here - lurker from jan last winter to a new posting member this winter, it's posts like this one that can be intimidating to someone new on the board. You're questioning that person's subjective feelings about how they are treated. There aren't any quotes that can support such an assertion since it's entirely subjective.

Irregardless of that, I think this is an outstanding group of well informed enthusiasts and generally welcoming to new members (you included ray don't mean to pick on you by pulling out this quote). From a fellow newbie to the other newbies/lurkers don't be intimidated by the regular group of posters that seem like a clique they just have a weird way of welcoming us newbies but they mean no harm. Just refrain from IMBY posts and try to add substance to the discussion if you feel the need to post.

Two newbie questions of my own.

1. Got a gift card to B&N for xmas and looking for a good intro book that is accessible (ie not too technical) in order to learn some of the met basics.

2. Can someone link me to the site that has a layout of all the area temps - i lost the bookmark on it.

Fair enough; I apologize for being a tad abrasive, but I vehemently disagree with Jen's assertion.

It's really cool to see you...then a 14 year old kid.....and always a nice boy....now as a TV met after having spent some academic time. Brian Monahan posts on the subforums from FL...he was wxcentral. Remember PSUPete...he was in HS...had a different name that I can't remember.....people always gave him sh*t about his snow measurements. MDFwx is someone I lost track of but kept in touch with for a long time. Marcus and Randy used to post with us then...Randy's name was DCscrewed for awhile during some pretty bleak winters for many of us. The night before the 1/25/00 with messenger (then Scottne) at his best with wxcentral while DT,LC, and many others were slapping them around was a classic. And they verified!

Yeah it's been a blast. I learned a ton in the mid/late 90s from you guys. I went to college with Pete and Brian so I've known them for a while.

I wondered about mfdwx too... haven't heard from him in a while. Remember Jared from Sharon too? he went to LSC and was on air for a while in BGM but got out of the biz.

Yea, the lower spots away from the immediate shorline and urban centers (mby) really benefit from that.

Even looking at mesonet near my locale, some spots are still in the lower 40's.....times like this are when it pays to be at only 111'.

Yeah the temp dropped when I left the city. I couldn't believe how much snow those areas down there had. Time to reload.....hopefully.

i was at the common today and they hardly had any snow left.. most of it gone from Fanuei Hall, then drove back to Burlington and still have most of my snow left.. now hoping to build on it over the next few weeks

Case en point:

Wx bug 2 miles to my se, atop the middle school is 42.5\37.......my station, at ground level imby reads 36.9\36

I have a feeling locales like mine may spike up for a brief time right when the front approaches, as we mix out and then the fall recommences at a more uniform pace.

Yeah it's been a blast. I learned a ton in the mid/late 90s from you guys. I went to college with Pete and Brian so I've known them for a while.

I wondered about mfdwx too... haven't heard from him in a while. Remember Jared from Sharon too? he went to LSC and was on air for a while in BGM but got out of the biz.

Yes! Jared Kaplan. And remember Evan Bookbinder? He was working NWS out of Springfield, MO about 4-5 years ago. was known as jeddy in those days. Weather50 has just joined us here as cuse04.

Case en point:

Wx bug 2 miles to my se, atop the middle school is 42.5\37.......my station, at ground level imby reads 36.9\36

I have a feeling locales like mine may spike up for a brief time right when the front approaches, as we mix out and then the fall recommences at a more uniform pace.

Well CAA is underway because I continue to drop. 43.5 now.

Well CAA is underway because I continue to drop. 43.5 now.

There's actually some sort of inversion that developed in the low lands there this evening....ASH got down to 37F with calm winds and now just spiked back to 43F when the winds kicked up from the W.

considering i'm the girlfriend of the guy who just quit and HE has been on these boards for a long time, i know more about a lot of the people on here than other noobs know.

I'm curious though......what happened that got him so upset? I have no recollection of any angst from his part but maybe I missed it?

Case en point:

I hope I get 1" ... of snow.

I need a new weather station, was damage on my last move.

Yes! Jared Kaplan. And remember Evan Bookbinder? He was working NWS out of Springfield, MO about 4-5 years ago. was known as jeddy in those days. Weather50 has just joined us here as cuse04.

Evan was abrasive... but a bright guy. Haven't spoken to him in forever. Remember Tara (dactyl)?

considering i'm the girlfriend of the guy who just quit and HE has been on these boards for a long time, i know more about a lot of the people on here than other noobs know.

Not for nothing, but I'd appreciate if he took the initiative to post who exactly he had an issue with because generalizing the entire community for the alleged actions of a few is quite ironic, since you two are accusing us of being "elitist".

Sociological issues abound, tonight....

There's actually some sort of inversion that developed in the low lands there this evening....ASH got down to 37F with calm winds and now just spiked back to 43F when the winds kicked up from the W.

It started this afternoon. Very weird ground fog that developed over the snowpack. Down in Hanover it was 39 when I left and could not see more than 100yds. Once I got to Braintree...basically to a more urban environment, it spiked to 47. Every river, including the Shawsheen up by Wilmington had pea soup fog that extended no more than about 30' up. Very shallow.

Not for nothing, but I'd appreciate if he took the initiative to post who exactly he had an issue with because generalizing the entire community for the alleged actions of a few is quite ironic, since you two are accusing us of being "elitist".

Sociological issues abound, tonight....

I'm thinking the Ice Warrior needs to come to a GTG.

It started this afternoon. Very weird ground fog that developed over the snowpack. Down in Hanover it was 39 when I left and could not see more than 100yds. Once I got to Braintree...basically to a more urban environment, it spiked to 47. Every river, including the Shawsheen up by Wilmington had pea soup fog that extended no more than about 30' up. Very shallow.

Fog was very dense here, today.....

Archived