Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is black ice a concern for later tonight in Connecticut?

..SLIPPERY TRAVEL POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY MONDAY MORNING...

RAIN WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD THIS EVENING ACROSS NORTHEAST

CONNECTICUT...RHODE ISLAND AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS A WEAK

COASTAL LOW MOVES UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD. RAIN WILL LIKELY

CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS THIS AREA BETWEEN 10 PM AND MIDNIGHT BEFORE

MOVING OFFSHORE LATE TONIGHT. A COATING OF SNOW TO PERHAPS AN INCH

OF ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT. IN ADDITION MUCH COLDER

AIR WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION AFTER MIDNIGHT. THIS WILL RESULT IN

ANY STANDING WATER FREEZING CAUSING SLIPPERY TRAVEL ESPECIALLY ON

UNTREATED SURFACES.

MOTORIST SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION LATER TONIGHT AND DURING THE

EARLY MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE.:thumbsup:

Except most models give ME a good amount of snow in the next 10 days.

The resorts had a good weekend. Was way more crowded leading up to NYE than the last few years but it cleared out yesterday when it torched. Great spring skiing though. Just amazing how fast it melted up there. The problem is they don't have a ton of snow to spare at the bases and there's bare spots from the torch job. I look at it this way 100 trails this year vs 50 last year roughly. I hit about 35 of them and had a blast, nothing broken. Oldest is skiing from the top of the peaks and my youngest is ripping it up (not really) and she's not even 3 yet. I just hate to see these weekends end as you know Weathafella the time with kids when their this young - it just comes and goes so fast. We are watching relatives who spent every weekend there for 15 years as the kids grew go through it. One is out of college, one is graduating and what was a weekend place for 15 years - they haven't been too as a family in probably five years. We go with a bunch of families and it's only a matter of time before these weekends are just a distant memory. I feel like Typhoon having a meltdown post last storm....! Hope everyone had a happy and safe NYears.

Is true. We have had that awful marine air hanging around. It's been warmer up here than points south. I haven't seen one ice house on any of the lakes around here.

I was shocked to see that on the way up Gray/Portland seemed to have the least snow between Cape Cod and Newry. It wasn't until we climbed those first few hills off the SR exit that the snow was really better. The big lake on 26 with the bar right on it..forget the name...1 ice house on the edge, visible gaps in the ice where last year there were probably 30 people fishing on this same day. Most rivers were iceless, really weird but you already know this.

Look I don't know what kind of weird gay club you guys have developed, but make sure you invite Zeus.

It's just like fight club, just without the fighting.

I quit this board.. Nothing but cliques

There is indeed a sense of elitism on this board and this manifests itself during big events when innocent and novice posters lacking in weather knowledge ask quick and easy questions that are routinely ignored, but even if you're not part of the clique it's a great source for up to the second weather updates that you can't find anywhere else.

There is indeed a sense of elitism on this board and this manifests itself during big events when innocent and novice posters lacking in weather knowledge ask quick and easy questions that are routinely ignored, but even if you're not part of the clique it's a great source for up to the second weather updates that you can't find anywhere else.

My limited (almost 2 years - OMG) experience here in the SNE threads has not shown that. The folks who have been on this awhile have been very decent and positive. It took a little while to "break the ice" and get my first hazing by Kev (I think?) but they have been awesome.

I prefer to let the big horses dictate the direction of the threads during events and mostly just add IMBY observations and silly banter during slow times.

Great group of people who are mostly in it for fun

Not in this subforum.

I'm not so innocent, but a complete novice who's very lacking in weather knowledge. I can't speak for the board as I only spend time in the NE threads, but I find it full of weather insights for the novice and experienced alike intermixed with a dose of fun banter.

Well--I guess that's OT.

On to an observation--and I'm not sh*tting you with this. I saw a robin this afternoon. What the hell? Do they hibernate and emerge in the warmth? It sure as hell didn't migrate back north due to a two day torch. Maybe it saw the foot long worm that emerged onto the snow last night. Something else you don't typically see--especially in January.

33.6/24

Do you think that it may have something do with the pace at which the main threads flow during big events.....just a shot in the dark here.....

There is amply opportunity to learn on this board because many are willing to teach, but those folks would probably be better suited to ask those basic questions during slower times.....like now.

The pace at which threads scroll during large events is ridiculous.

I'm not so innocent, but a complete novice who's very lacking in weather knowledge. I can't speak for the board as I only spend time in the NE threads, but I find it full of weather insights for the novice and experienced alike intermixed with a dose of fun banter.

Well--I guess that's OT.

On to an observation--and I'm not sh*tting you with this. I saw a robin this afternoon. What the hell? Do they hibernate and emerge in the warmth? It sure as hell didn't migrate back north due to a two day torch. Maybe it saw the foot long worm that emerged onto the snow last night. Something you don't typically see--especially in January.

33.6/24

Not all robins migrate. KBosch and Will can fill you in on more. They are here year round, but I think 1 variety leaves...

I saw bugs flying around today. I hate bugs.

35.4F on my thermo

You've really just got to be thick-skinned and avoid people like Dave, Ray, Kevin, Jay, Eric, Steve. Oh--and Pete. Definitely avoid Pete. Then you'll be okay.

I'd bet my life that if HarveyLeonardfan asked at which temp water began freezing, right now, that he'd have a response in pretty short order.

The problem is that most newbies only care enough to come out of the word work right around the times of big events, when questions of that nature are less likely to be catered to for reasons already stated.

I had a massive flock of birds on the snow free part of the back lawn here pecking for some food in the grass. I have no idea what they were - not robins..brownish.

Down to 28 here now.

Not all robins migrate. KBosch and Will can fill you in on more. They are here year round, but I think 1 variety leaves...

I saw bugs flying around today. I hate bugs.

35.4F on my thermo

I welcome and answer newbie questions almost daily, provide links etc. Jumping on here and making assumptions because certain people bust chops with each other that it is elite is wrong, many people here have known each other and shared their passion for nearly twenty years. I am going to post a topic called newbie questions so people can ask and some here can answer. I also suggest that people start their own threads with weather related topics. Nobody knows everything here it, is a group collaborative knowledge.

I disagree. I think most people take the time and answer questions as quick as they can, given the fast pace. I know I try to answer questions and so does Will.

Still inching down here....34.4/24. Can't wait to have my mud freeze. That shield will slide SE of western Franklin. No snow for me.

When i was driving through town yesterday, I got caught in the mass exodus of the caravan of cars from CT/NY/NJ returning from Mt. Snow heading down Colrain-Shelburne RD. I think it was a caravan filled with really disappointed skiers after spending the weekend is crappy soft conditions.

LOL. Can tell you're not a skier, Skiing has been great and soft conditions are never bad. Nothing like bashing through soft corn snow bumps. I'm in full winter sports mode and having a blast despite the warm weather of the past couple days. More snow on the way Mike, timed almost perfectly around your upcoming absences. Go figure.

Do you think that it may have something do with the pace at which the main threads flow during big events.....just a shot in the dark here.....

There is amply opportunity to learn on this board because many are willing to teach, but those folks would probably be better suited to ask those basic questions during slower times.....like now.

The pace at which threads scroll during large events is ridiculous.

I agree!!

Man, what an interesting drive down to the s-shore. Pea soup fog once you got off Rt 3, and they (Hanover) have twice the snow I have. Not a blade of grass showing. It was also 40 there too, while I was 48 at home. It must have been the combo of existing snowpack and water logged snow from this recent storm. People still have snow on the roofs. I continue to lose snow. Maybe 60-70% left, but shaded areas still 8-10". Lets end this disaster.

I welcome and answer newbie questions almost daily, provide links etc. Jumping on here and making assumptions because certain people bust chops with each other that it is elite is wrong, many people hear have known each other and shared their passion for nearly twenty years. I am going to post a topic called newbie questions so people can ask and some here can answer. I also suggest that people start there own threads with weather related topics. Nobody knows everything here it is a group collaborative knowledge.

Great idea; I was going to suggest the same.

So we have what, 12 replies to Harv's post within like 15 minutes.....hardly ignored. lol

Archived