joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DECEMBER 24-27 2010 Americanwx members snow totals thread

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WATERBURY, CT 6 inches.

I saw reports of 8.5 inches in wtby but I drove around and think it was 5-6 at a maximum. I had 10 inches on the sidewalk in front of my house but the problem is not a single roof, car or tree had significant snow around here and the houses are close together. The wind was howling. So I went into an open baseball field and measured the depth of 4 random spots around the center. They were arounf 6.5 to 7 inches. However, some surrounding areas had no snow (I saw earth) from the wind.

IRED.JPG

ECWV.jpg

The RUC showed dryslotting and it came to pass. A significant portion of CT only recieved about 6" but I think the edges of the state did fairly well.

I also do not believe many of the reports. I can go IMBY and measure anywhere from 3" to 2'. The drifitng was amazing. Its why I went into the middle of an open baseballl field for better or worse....

The CT DOT measured 10".....

WATERBURY 9.8 818 PM 12/27 CT DOT

I drove around half the town and I simply don't believe it....

25.0" in Colts Neck, Monmouth County NJ. Highest impact storm since the blizzard of 1996, and 3rd largest snowstorm since 1900 for CNJ.

Iso, is that number 3 behind PD2 and 1/1996? Where would 3/1899 and 3/1888 have ranked on this list? I also thought that 12/1947 was big in Monmouth County?

Iso, is that number 3 behind PD2 and 1/1996? Where would 3/1899 and 3/1888 have ranked on this list? I also thought that 12/1947 was big in Monmouth County?

Well I can tell you in my lifetime that it is definitely just behind 1/96 in snow totals for our county, but not in shear ferosity. Also, this storm ranks behind December 1947 otherwise known as NYC's Big Snow as well since that dropped 30"+ totals in Monmouth county according to KU's map. 1888/1899 were both 20-30 in our county as well off the top of my head. PDII was between 22-24" in my town.

Alex, yeah as NJwinter said December 1947 was bigger as was January 1996. PD II was just barely less snowfall for me.

As for 1888 and 1899, I'll have to check the KU books. Honestly I think blizzard of 1988 totals were way underdone in many spots.

Archived