Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious...meteorologically speaking, can bands like these seen today setup further inland? Or does the proximity to the ocean have something to do with their occurrence, strength, duration, et cetera?

It doesn't have to do with ocean. It's dictated by where you have the most lift and that comes from a variety of sources. Frontogenesis, Upper level divergence, etc.

amazing cut off in western ct right along rt 8 luckily i am on the western side of rt 8 by 2 miles... if you look on radar the dry slot keeps on trying to push west but cant push past rt 8 which runs n/s through western ct.. i wonder if this is upsloping as that is the edge of the valley and the beggining of the western hills

<br />amazing cut off in western ct right along rt 8 luckily i am on the western side of rt 8 by 2 miles... if you look on radar the dry slot keeps on trying to push west but cant push past rt 8 which runs n/s through western ct.. i wonder if this is upsloping as that is the edge of the valley and the beggining of the western hills<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I was wondering the same thing about what that dry slot was about

Radar has lighter echoes over Queens, where I am, however honestly you can't tell that the snow is lighter. Still coming down at a good rate with whiteout conditions and tremendous winds.

That radar seems to be low def, but jason linked a hi def radar that shows queens and western nassau as being under some really good bands of heavy snow-- this is why JFK has had 0 vis for the last few hours lol-- take a look:

http://www.wundergro...f=9999&smooth=0

I am right under the yellow in central Monmouth county. It's literally pouring snow. It is just absolutely unbelievable here. Being conservative I'd say we have at least 20 inches here, probably closer to 2 feet.

There is a utility box outside my parents house that was last covered during the blizzard of 2003 and it's very close to being covered now.

I don't see how we make it out of this without getting close to the blizzard of 03 numbers.

Need to savor the moment. It's a little depressing that I am looking at a 1 in 20 year event right now.

Shot a short video of the wind/snow in Westbury while at work. Check out from 1:20 on. NUTS !!

Leaving work now. 27 miles of fun ahead of me. Got the wife's Tahoe so I'm not that worried.

Enjoy!

Great video! Actually captures the conditions that occurred pretty well unlike my cell phone, lol.

Archived