• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

certainly agree, at least for my immediate area.

we had a sustained period of heavy snow (8" in 2 hours) that was exhilarating to witness.... and it really has turned out to be the most ingrained image in my mind for the winter of 2010-11.

We probably approached 2" or so per hour here at the worst of the falling snow, but it became spotty from here east/north as the megaband solidified over you. The back end hit us pretty good during the early morning (4-6am) and tacked another few inches on.

The amount of snow here was certainly notable (18-20" or so), but the howling 60+ mph wind is really what made it a near record blizzard here.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

best storm, agreed. Two parter, surprise in the am, ridiculous snow in the PM

Also, was the trickiest setup and worked out.

Loved it.

Mid level lapse rates made the day just like they'll do for any weather event, severe tropical or winter. They are the wild duces meterology.

Loved it.

Agreed, it was a very delicate setup involving the phase and then subsequent tapping of the Gulf. It very easily could have ended up just a nonevent that slid east out to sea, like models showed for days. 50-75 years ago or so, this would have been a very deadly storm given how unexpected it was. 2 days before most mets were talking about just light snow and only at the shore, and that's with today's technology.

Agreed, it was a very delicate setup involving the phase and then subsequent tapping of the Gulf. It very easily could have ended up just a nonevent that slid east out to sea, like models showed for days. 50-75 years ago or so, this would have been a very deadly storm given how unexpected it was. 2 days before most mets were talking about just light snow and only at the shore, and that's with today's technology.

I was speaking of the Jan 27th storm.

Loved it.

Hands down. This storm was much more exciting for the weather enthusiast in our area. The snowfall rates were insane for part 2 and part 1 was pure bonus.

Weird how the Dec 26-27 storm could have slid out to sea easily and the Jan 26-27 storm could have been rain and yet both clocked us with similar amounts of snow (at least here)..... 18.5" in Dec 26-27 and 16.4" in Jan 26-27..... Dec 26-27 had higher winds, but the snowfall rates were higher in Jan 26-27 here and it was also a longer lasting storm because it came in two parts. Both had their share of lightning and thunder, but for different areas lol. I believe we were getting 3" per hour in Dec 26-27 and 5" per hour in Jan 26-27. If we hadnt gotten sleet at the start of the thunder/lightning, we all would have easily had over 20 inches in Jan 26-27.... I remember there was even a tornado just offshore to the south of us while it was thundersleeting here lol.

Loved it.

You and I were very bullish on the 1/27 storm being snow for NYC despite the Euro showing rain 4-5 days out. I remember seeing the MJO wave in Phase 8 pumping up a huge +PNA, combined with a subtle drop in the NAO, and thinking we were in line for a major event.

Most underrated event: Jan 26-27, 2010

Totally agree. I can't speak for how 12/26/10 was in New Brunswick since I was home where it was much less intense (unbelievable that a short 25-minute drive could make such a difference but boy it did), but my personal experience of 1/26-27/11 was light years ahead of my personal experience of 12/26 and was definitely my favorite storm out of the last two winters. The snowfall rates and overall accumulations were greater than anything I'd ever seen the last two winters, it was a nice long-lasting event, I finally got to witness thundersnow/sleet, and the overperforming first part of the storm caused the event to overperform as a whole.

My video during the peak of the 1/26 storm. You can see we still had some impressive wind gusts even if they weren't to the level of 12/26:

That was amazing here-first for producing several inches of wet snow on 1/26 when most predictions had us for a mix and even rain, and then the incredible snow rates from the upper low and strong lift. We must have had 4" per hour for a time as a huge band sat over us, and we ended up with 16"+ total. Most predictions were for maybe a foot in some lucky localized spots.

Weird how the Dec 26-27 storm could have slid out to sea easily and the Jan 26-27 storm could have been rain and yet both clocked us with similar amounts of snow (at least here)..... 18.5" in Dec 26-27 and 16.4" in Jan 26-27..... Dec 26-27 had higher winds, but the snowfall rates were higher in Jan 26-27 here and it was also a longer lasting storm because it came in two parts. Both had their share of lightning and thunder, but for different areas lol. I believe we were getting 3" per hour in Dec 26-27 and 5" per hour in Jan 26-27. If we hadnt gotten sleet at the start of the thunder/lightning, we all would have easily had over 20 inches in Jan 26-27.... I remember there was even a tornado just offshore to the south of us while it was thundersleeting here lol.

The thunder sleet was awesome as well and I can't remember the last time I've experienced that, ever. Great prelude to the 6 hours of pure weenie heaven that followed.

The 1/27 storm was my second favorite storm, right after the boxing day blizzard. I received 4 inches of snow in the morning and 14 inches at night. The rates at night were unbelieveable. I also had thunder and lightning. Too bad the La Nina really took over right after the storm. We could have broken the 1996 record.

• 3 weeks later...

Back for a very short time...

but as for as storm goes, December 2010 is the best for all of us. Even for me. Just wished it was 24 hours.

But it falls short to January 1996 Blizzard with the distrubtion of snow totals from Philly to Newark, NJ with 28 to 32" of snow, that insane coverage of land. And reports of near Philly nearly (33-35" of snow had fallen, unoffically, of course). And Brooklyn easily got 30", don't care what the offical total says. Ask Alex or ag3 for this. The Sons of January 1996 were February 6, 2010 and December 26, 2010... That 28.5" in Philly sounded a little bit too high, and the 30.7" sounded a little bit low, but that's me. Undermeasurement in 1996 FTL.

Rates alone, though, I went from 8 inches of snow at 7 PM to 19" at midnight, that is quite incredible.... Near John's place, they probably had 25" of snow by 2-3 AM, easily....

For the NJ Shore, however, December 2010 is king, enough said, 25-31" (31-33 in Belmar, NJ). Wall NJ, my best college buddy measured 34.5".

But the best? was after January 27th, having 30 inches of snow in shaded areas for depth, that is what stands ALONE for this winter.

The 1/27 storm was my second favorite storm, right after the boxing day blizzard. I received 4 inches of snow in the morning and 14 inches at night. The rates at night were unbelieveable. I also had thunder and lightning. Too bad the La Nina really took over right after the storm. We could have broken the 1996 record.

January 11-12th was the reason why we couldn't break it.... easily another 20-30" snowfall for us if it went out quicker.

This was a great memorable storm with increable winds with some thundersnow thrown there which I call it the "ThunderBlizzard" because one big strike of lightning and thunder thrown in there with 14" fell in my area. 1/26 storm was quite something too with some widespread thundersnow/sleet even though I only had one flash of lightning with it but insane snow rates fell which was amazing. 3 major storms happen all one month which made this past winter amazing. I want to mention remember the rare thundersleet/snow event that happen which was like regular summer thunderstorm which give the area mainly 1-2" of snow but was great closing to winter though.

Archived