• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

The LIRR was out of service Monday, Tuesday and the AM Rush hour on Wednesday. Limited service came back during Wednesday afternoon. Thursday and Friday were no bargain with canceled trains causing delays and crowded cars. Ah memories......

Yes, that was a whole week spent at home and I remember seeing people riding snowmobiles in the middle of NYC-- unreal lol.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iso,

31 here in manalapan - wow.

measured 3 places and averaged 31 just wow

Rossi

someone in Toms River to Belmar has to have like 32-34".... i know one person reported unofficial 31.5" in Toms River.

Just went out to shovel this stuff a very uniform 2 feet drifts up to 4 feet Brooklyn.

Hourly obs:

Snow begun around 10am

12pm 1/2-1 inch

2pm. 2 Inches

4pm. 3 inches

6pm. 7 inches

8pm. 12 inches

10pm. 16inches

12am. 19 inches

2am. 21inches

4am. 24 inches

I measured in a pretty protected area took a few measurements so this is approximate don't shoot me over it.

10pm.

I didn't measure but estimated 2 feet...This storm was bigger than any last year...

Just like the models indicated, it looks like the area of central coastal Jersey from Toms River to Belmar was the jackpot area-- might have even had an isolated 3' report from there. The area of heavy snow extended north into Staten Island and Southern Brooklyn where they got about 2' Back in Feb 1983 and PD2 a similar thing happened, but that then extended eastward to include me in southern Nassau, this time we were just fringed by the heavy snow and ended up with 18-20"

http://www.nbcnewyor...-112498574.html

"A" Train Riders Stranded in Seven-Hour Ordeal

ABC is interviewing people live on the air from the 5 boroughs who were trapped in cars, buses, etc, with their families since early last evening and they said emergency responders arent responding, so they are trying to get help from the media. This seems to be shockingly widespread.

ABC is interviewing people live on the air from the 5 boroughs who were trapped in cars, buses, etc, with their families since early last evening and they said emergency responders arent responding, so they are trying to get help from the media. This seems to be shockingly widespread.

My whole area still doesn't have any power. They didn't even plow the bus route. There's a bus stuck sideways blocking the whole avenue. Forget about the side streets they have have a foot and a half of powder on them.

My whole area still doesn't have any power. They didn't even plow the bus route. There's a bus stuck sideways blocking the whole avenue. Forget about the side streets they have have a foot and a half of powered on them.

Sounds like Feb 1969 all over again!

It was hard for me to find an area that was not contaminated by drifts but I was able to get a fairly accurate measurement of 18" this morning in Pompton Plains, NJ. I measured about 8pm last night right as the very intense banding was overhead and it came to 10". Before the intense banding I would estimate we had 5-7". Definitly the most intense storm I'm ever witnessed but we had more snow in 96' and the Presidents Day storm in 03'. This will definitly be remembered for many reasons for a very long time....for one...never fully trust what the models are saying even 48 hours out.

Sounds about right. Open areas have about 17" and protected about 24" where I am as well. Seen drifts at around 4'

Just went out to shovel this stuff a very uniform 2 feet drifts up to 4 feet Brooklyn.

Hourly obs:

Snow begun around 10am

12pm 1/2-1 inch

2pm. 2 Inches

4pm. 3 inches

6pm. 7 inches

8pm. 12 inches

10pm. 16inches

12am. 19 inches

2am. 21inches

4am. 24 inches

I measured in a pretty protected area took a few measurements so this is approximate don't shoot me over it.

10pm.

Well, I have to say this storm did really well especially from Western Nassau on west into NJ... Pretty amazing storm.. For my backyard, it was a little disappointing.. We probably had 12-13": Can't really complain with that... However, perhaps others can account for this... The snow when shoveling wasn't wet at all, but sure wasn't dry.. It had this weird compaction to it- especially on top.. It felt like there was definitely sleet in there.. Oh well.. Anyone else notice that..

Those totals in Brooklyn etc are insane..

In any event, great job everyone- a storm for the record books for the NYC metro area... Can't tell you how much it was tracking all week... See you all again- soon, I HOPE!

Jeff

Well, I have to say this storm did really well especially from Western Nassau on west into NJ... Pretty amazing storm.. For my backyard, it was a little disappointing.. We probably had 12-13": Can't really complain with that... However, perhaps others can account for this... The snow when shoveling wasn't wet at all, but sure wasn't dry.. It had this weird compaction to it- especially on top.. It felt like there was definitely sleet in there.. Oh well.. Anyone else notice that..

Those totals in Brooklyn etc are insane..

In any event, great job everyone- a storm for the record books for the NYC metro area... Can't tell you how much it was tracking all week... See you all again- soon, I HOPE!

Jeff

I wound up with 12" which is awesome, but it was gut wrenching to watch that 'artery' that setup over NJ not make it another 5 miles S to mby. It seemed for hours like it was gonna happen any minute, but with each refresh of the radar, it pretty much stayed put.

I really have no business complaining when I've gotten ~85 inches of snowfall within the last 12 months though. My 20 month old daughter is going to start thinking these are normal winters lol...

It was nice to have a 'KU strength' snowblower for this go 'round. All three biggies last year were all shoveling...:weight_lift:

0004303355552_180X180.jpg

wow..seeing videos of cars buried on Jersey highways is reminding me of Feb 78 here..amazing stuff

There were reports last night of hundreds of cars being stranded on the highways. If that's the case, they are probably still stuck out there. This is one of those storms we will still be talking about 50 or 100 years from now. :snowman:

There were reports last night of hundreds of cars being stranded on the highways. If that's the case, they are probably still stuck out there. This is one of those storms we will still be talking about 50 or 100 years from now. :snowman:

They are still stuck out there-- some with little children (like 3 months old) in NJ, in NYC and on Long Island.

There are a lot of reports of unplowed roads and even highways-- this almost sounds like a Feb 1969 controversy in the making!

I just heard there were 500 people stranded on the A train in Queens!

They are still stuck out there-- some with little children (like 3 months old) in NJ, in NYC and on Long Island.

There are a lot of reports of unplowed roads and even highways-- this almost sounds like a Feb 1969 controversy in the making!

I just heard there were 500 people stranded on the A train in Queens!

What's controversial is people thinking they should be out driving in weather like that. There's only so much that so many plows and men can do.

What's controversial is people thinking they should be out driving in weather like that. There's only so much that so many plows and men can do.

yea, the people were being sheepish when they were being asked why they were on the roads. Like there was this one lady in brooklyn who had 2 infants (you could hear them crying in the background) who has been stranded since 10 PM and she said she "had to" get to Jersey but wouldnt say why she had to get there. She's been stuck on the roads for the past 12 hours.

yea, the people were being sheepish when they were being asked why they were on the roads. Like there was this one lady in brooklyn who had 2 infants (you could hear them crying in the background) who has been stranded since 10 PM and she said she "had to" get to Jersey but wouldnt say why she had to get there. She's been stuck on the roads for the past 12 hours.

The stupidity of people will never cease to amaze, nor does the blaming of the authorities by those same people who were dumb enough to go out in that weather. I mean...you look out your window and see crushing snowfall rates, high winds, and low temps when the snow is already up to your knees...and you decide to hop in your car?

Just imagine if that band had been a bit east-- NYC would have easily gotten 30 inches plus!

Anyone have the final total from EWR?

As per the most recent PNS issued at 11:16am.

ESSEX COUNTY...

NEWARK AIRPORT 24.2 700 AM 12/27 ASOS

VERONA 23.0 500 AM 12/27 PUBLIC

MILLBURN 22.5 800 AM 12/27 PUBLIC

CEDAR GROVE 21.1 700 AM 12/27 PUBLIC

BELLEVILLE 19.4 1130 PM 12/26 TRAINED SPOTTER

WEST ORANGE 17.0 1200 AM 12/27 PUBLIC

...HUDSON COUNTY...

SECAUCUS 25.0 800 AM 12/27 NJ DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

HARRISON 25.0 800 AM 12/27 CO-OP OBSERVER

JERSEY CITY 23.0 800 AM 12/27 NJ DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

HOBOKEN 19.9 800 AM 12/27 SKYWARN SPOTTER

UNION COUNTY...

ELIZABETH 31.8 700 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

ROSELLE 28.7 710 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

UNION 27.0 745 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

CLARK 27.0 745 AM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

FANWOOD 26.0 100 AM 12/27 PUBLIC

Thanks Ace! I hope you can get out! Look at some of the posts by Doug and JM from last night-- we were getting plastered between 4 and 6 am!

ok- i measured in 4 spots as i was shoveling my sidewalk and walkway...ranged from 17.5 to 22"

biggest snowstorm in Nassau Cty since I moved here in 2005. Probably my second biggest ever behind 1996. BTW- Shoveling is futile...after i was thru 60pct of my walkway I turned around and realized 3 inches of wind blown snow was covering the freaken pavement....and I still havent found my blackberry...FML

ok- i measured in 4 spots as i was shoveling my sidewalk and walkway...ranged from 17.5 to 22"

biggest snowstorm in Nassau Cty since I moved here in 2005. Probably my second biggest ever behind 1996. BTW- Shoveling is futile...after i was thru 60pct of my walkway I turned around and realized 3 inches of wind blown snow was covering the freaken pavement....and I still havent found my blackberry...FML

Be careful man, the wind is blowing so hard right now that projectiles are flying around and my car was shaking!

Archived