12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not know how I will get to work tomorrow. My street is not passable and the bus takes over an hour on a normal day. Don't know if I want to rely on MTA buses after what's been happening.

Bloomberg said today was just like any other regular day in the city - you have no excuse saying you can't get to work tomorrow rolleyes.gif

I was just reading the newspaper articles from after the back-to-back February blitzes in DC-- one of the first big signs of discontent with Mayor Fenty came as a result of the storms. People in DC always have complaints about the pace of plowing after big snowstorms, but the thing that really rubbed voters the wrong way was how Fenty insisted on opening city gov't the Monday after the first storm (and Rhee tried to open DC public schools before changing her mind within 3 hours) even though streets were still horrible in many areas. Bloomberg's comments today remind me of that...

At that point, no one would have thought that Fenty would have had a viable challenger in the primary. Of course, he ended up losing the primary and will no longer be mayor next year.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Atlantic City today and on my way down,I stopped at the Cheesequake service area on the Garden State Parkway where I got into a convo with a state trooper about the blizzard.He said that cars were completly buried on the parkway from Cheesequake on south for miles.He had never seen anything like it.8 to 10 foot drifts in some areas.It took a long time to have the parkway running again.

I went to Atlantic City today and on my way down,I stopped at the Cheesequake service area on the Garden State Parkway where I got into a convo with a state trooper about the blizzard.He said that cars were completly buried on the parkway from Cheesequake on south for miles.He had never seen anything like it.8 to 10 foot drifts in some areas.It took a long time to have the parkway running again.

yeah we got crushed. Worse storm I have seen

Counted a 100 cars buried in the express lane from Holmdel to red bank that night.

We will all remember the 12z GFS from 12/24 that turned this whole thing around... People gave up including me and now look what we have.

Actually the 0z run from 12/24 brought the storm back.6z lost it and then 12z brought it back again.:snowman:

Sounds like a repeat of the madness we had during the Jan 1996 blizzard.

Nope,not even close.The NYC transit system both buses and trains was completly shut down with over 4000 buses stranded and Stillwell Ave terminal in Coney island.JAN 1996 did not have anything near that. having no trains in or out at one point for the first time in memory.Cars were stuck on parkways and highways for the first time since the FEB 1983 blizzard.Given the fact that there are mostly Front and all wheel drive vehicles now and they still got stranded says a lot about how crippling this storms was for NYC/ENJ/LI.

Nope,not even close.The NYC transit system both buses and trains was completly shut down with over 4000 buses stranded and Stillwell Ave terminal in Coney island.JAN 1996 did not have anything near that. having no trains in or out at one point for the first time in memory.Cars were stuck on parkways and highways for the first time since the FEB 1983 blizzard.Given the fact that there are mostly Front and all wheel drive vehicles now and they still got stranded says a lot about how crippling this storms was for NYC/ENJ/LI.

Have to disagree with this. January 1996 had cars stuck all over highways. Especially the LIE. I have vivid memories of the LIE shutdown and impassable, due to dozens of cars and vehicles blocking all lanes, including emergency lanes.

Other highways had similar issues.

Jan. 1996 dumped a hell of a lot more snow from Eastern Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau County with up to 35" in some spots. And it stuck easily everywhere as temps were frigid.

yeah we got crushed. Worse storm I have seen Counted a 100 cars buried in the express lane from Holmdel to red bank that night.

That is incredible and yet you guys didnt get into the 60+MPH winds I believe you had 35-45MPH winds.I doubt that we see that again here for many decades.

I'm pretty sure I took the subway at 2AM during the Boxing Day Blizzard... perhaps you're only referring to above-ground service?

<b></b>I'm pretty sure I took the subway at 2AM during the Boxing Day Blizzard... perhaps you're only referring to above-ground service?<b></b>
<b></b><b></b><b></b>Underground service was running.Anything above ground that was not an elevated structure was shut down and there were trains stranded.one A train was stuck for nearly 10 hours by Acqueduct Racetrack in Queens.

That is incredible and yet you guys didnt get into the 60+MPH winds I believe you had 35-45MPH winds.I doubt that we see that again here for many decades.

yeah people will be talking about that storm for years to come. People where snowed in in every sense of the word. I like to refer to it as the gsp blizzard.

Have to disagree with this. January 1996 had cars stuck all over highways. Especially the LIE. I have vivid memories of the LIE shutdown and impassable, due to dozens of cars and vehicles blocking all lanes, including emergency lanes.Other highways had similar issues. Jan. 1996 dumped a hell of a lot more snow from Eastern Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau County with up to 35" in some spots. And it stuck easily everywhere as temps were frigid.

I did not realize it was so bad where you were as the LIE was moving that day by Woodhaven Blvd.

True.JAN 1996 remains the champ as far as total amounts.I had at least 30 inches here and 22 with the Boxing Day storm.But as far as winds go,it is no contest.JAN 1996 I saw 4 foot drifts in spots,the Boxing Day storm,I saw many drifts of 6-8 feet.My walkway had 5 feet on it and honda I used to own was buried completly in my backyard driveway.this did not happen in JAN 1996.I believe there were sustained winds of 40-45MPH for a several hour period that night of the 26th during the height of the storm while JAN 1996 had gusts in the 40s to near 50MPH briefly.The Boxing Day storm will always be remembered for the winds here in Queens County.

yeah people will be talking about that storm for years to come. People where snowed in in every sense of the word. I like to refer to it as the gsp blizzard.

Many were stranded at Cheesequake for a couple of days workers and drivers/customers.You had to have gotten stuck with your plow several times.

I did not realize it was so bad where you were as the LIE was moving that day by Woodhaven Blvd.

True.JAN 1996 remains the champ as far as total amounts.I had at least 30 inches here and 22 with the Boxing Day storm.But as far as winds go,it is no contest.JAN 1996 I saw 4 foot drifts in spots,the Boxing Day storm,I saw many drifts of 6-8 feet.My walkway had 5 feet on it and honda I used to own was buried completly in my backyard driveway.this did not happen in JAN 1996.I believe there were sustained winds of 40-45MPH for a several hour period that night of the 26th during the height of the storm while JAN 1996 had gusts in the 40s to near 50MPH briefly.The Boxing Day storm will always be remembered for the winds here in Queens County.

For sure Boxing day wind was insane. But not nearly as much snow for Queens, Bronx and all of LI as did 1996.

Boxing day had epic amounts for some localized areas of Brooklyn and NJ but 1996 was a full out widespread 20"-35" event up and down the coast.

For sure Boxing day wind was insane. But not nearly as much snow for Queens, Bronx and all of LI as did 1996.Boxing day had epic amounts for some localized areas of Brooklyn and NJ but 1996 was a full out widespread 20"-35" event up and down the coast.

From 6PM on the 26th to 2AM on the 27th was the most intense blizzard conditions I have ever experienced in my lifetime.I am glad I was out in it,even though I could barely see and nearly got knocked down several times by the wind gusts.That period is probably going to remain #1 for most likely the rest of my life.

Long Island Rail Road was shut down for a whole week in 1996-- I couldn't get into the city for that whole week as the roads were a disaster. We also had some 60 mph gusts in 1996, just like with last year's blizzard. The snow drifts were so high with both that they nearly covered the first floors of houses.

Long Island Rail Road was shut down for a whole week in 1996-- I couldn't get into the city for that whole week as the roads were a disaster.  We also had some 60 mph gusts in 1996, just like with last year's blizzard.  The snow drifts were so high with both that they nearly covered the first floors of houses.

JAN 1996 there were 45 to 50MPH gusts at times,but the sustained winds were less.I was able to shovel out my backyard driveway and front walk in 1996,I had to hire people to do it for the boxing day blizzard as my car was completly buried and my front walk had snow nearly up to my shoulders.THe wind is an important factor in how crippling a storm truly is.As good as the 4-5 inch per rates were during the JAN 26-27th storm,with little wind,it was very manageable despite the 18+ inch accumulations.

JAN 1996 there were 45 to 50MPH gusts at times,but the sustained winds were less.I was able to shovel out my backyard driveway and front walk in 1996,I had to hire people to do it for the boxing day blizzard as my car was completly buried and my front walk had snow nearly up to my shoulders.THe wind is an important factor in how crippling a storm truly is.As good as the 4-5 inch per rates were during the JAN 26-27th storm,with little wind,it was very manageable despite the 18+ inch accumulations.

I made a short description of various events for the past two winters.....

Winter 2009-10

Most interesting event : Feb 25-27, 2010

Most disappointing event : Feb 5-6, 2010

Most underrated event: Feb 10-11, 2010

Most overrated event: Dec 19-20, 2010 (most of it occurred at night and the really heavy amounts were confined to eastern Long Island.)

Winter 2010-11

Most interesting event: Dec 26-27, 2010

Most disappointing event: Jan 11-12, 2010 (I say this because we just barely missed out on another HECS).

Most underrated event: Jan 26-27, 2010

Most overrated event: I give this award to the entire winter from Feb 1 onwards; winter was supposed to come back and it never really did.

I made a short description of various events for the past two winters.....Winter 2009-10Most interesting event : Feb 25-27, 2010Most disappointing event : Feb 5-6, 2010Most underrated event: Feb 10-11, 2010Most overrated event: Dec 19-20, 2010 (most of it occurred at night and the really heavy amounts were confined to eastern Long Island.)Winter 2010-11Most interesting event: Dec 26-27, 2010Most disappointing event: Jan 11-12, 2010 (I say this because we just barely missed out on another HECS).Most underrated event: Jan 26-27, 2010Most overrated event:  I give this award to the entire winter from Feb 1 onwards; winter was supposed to come back and it never really did.

In reality it was really a 32 day period which will never be repeated again.Before and after that it was as tepid as it ever is.

certainly agree, at least for my immediate area.

we had a sustained period of heavy snow (8" in 2 hours) that was exhilarating to witness.... and it really has turned out to be the most ingrained image in my mind for the winter of 2010-11.

best storm, agreed. Two parter, surprise in the am, ridiculous snow in the PM

Also, was the trickiest setup and worked out.

Loved it.

Archived