Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody from the 5 towns ? How much did you guys get? Ace or Alex ? Anyone?

How does it get into Brooklyn western part of Brooklyn is missing that one you're good to go though

Sheepshead Bay was at 18" plus with the last update, and with the heavy banding they should be at or over 20" I measured 19.4" just about 10 min ago and its still coming down hard.

I said in another thread that the days of crippling snowstorms are over because of the modern day plow systems. This might be an exception.

Yup, LIRR down system wide and many many road closings and power outages! Still snowing hard-- if it snows through 10 AM it will become a 24 hr snowstorm!

Yup, LIRR down system wide and many many road closings and power outages! Still snowing hard-- if it snows through 10 AM it will become a 24 hr snowstorm!

LIRR is probably mostly crippled due to blowing snow impeding 3rd rail. They keep up with the roads pretty good, but they can't account for every road 24 hrs a day, nor should they try. I have no idea why they were clearing all night on my residential street. Seems insane they wouldn't constantly patrol the arteries.

First post over here at American!

I'm at West Chester University here in PA, university is closed because of the holiday. Quiet campus, police dept. is on skeleton crew. Well done NYC and NJ crew! I would venture a guess we recieved about 4-6 inches, but it's the cold and wind that really made this one impressive. For a time there, the storm just stopped moving. Have not seen that in a long time. Roads weren't good, but if you drove with some smarts, you were ok. Thank God school is out, or this would have been a disaster, a la last winter. Enjoy it everyone, and be glad you don't work in emergency management and had you shovel your car out at 4 AM!

just woke up from a 3 hour nap and it looks like what should have been the height of the storm. My son measured 10 spots in the yard that was as uniform as possible and the average is 14.4". I have 4 foot drifts against 1 fence. We are definetly playing catch up because it now looks like a blizzard took place. Last night I felt like I was on the outside looking in with regard to accumulations. The wind on the other hand has been incredible for the entire storm. I recorded a peak 49mph gust which is top 3 in the 15 years I have this anemometer.

Looking at NWS's totals (10.8 at JFK), you would think they're wrong based on the drifts alone.

I can't shovel since there's no place to put it! :snowman:

That hasnt been updated in awhile. Three of us are all clustered within 10 miles of JFK (Doug, JM and me) and we all measured between 18-20 inches of snow. There's also an official spotter from Sheepshead Bay who measured 18 inches and the storm wasnt even over at that time. That seems to be a reliable range for us.

Sheepshead Bay was at 18" plus with the last update, and with the heavy banding they should be at or over 20" I measured 19.4" just about 10 min ago and its still coming down hard.

We had 18" last night we had at least 6 inches since then so I'd say about 24-25 inches final total for southwestern Brooklyn. I live on a main street 65st it's barely passable usually streets ate plowed down to blacktop here.

“Lives are on the line“, a Hatzolah Coordinator

“During the past few hours our response time to serious emergencies has been delayed dramatically due to vehicles stuck all throughout the streets. In Boro Park alone we have numerous ambulances stuck in the snow as well, and we are operating with a skeleton fleet of ambulances - this is real Pikuach Nefesh! Don’t think that your vehicle will b able to be driven – because it won’t!” 4 foot drifts blocking streets. Boro park is right next to my area.

well- most of us got to our seasonal avg in 1 day...sweet

Take a look at Don's thread -- the 1916-17 analog I told you about still lives.... mod strong la ninas with more than 10 inch snow in December 2/2 had more than 30 inch seasonal snowfall (small sample size) one of them was 1916-17, which I mentioned to you before, first of two (and only time) back to back 50 inch plus snowfall winters..... the other analog is 1886-87, both a very long time ago lol.

We are also likely to see one more KU event this winter based on the stats.

Archived