Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 10

yhbrooklyn

<br /><br /><br />

I haven't measured in several hours. I went outside to snow blow the driveway a few hours ago and I had maybe 10 inches or so. However the last few hours the visibility has come up most of the time so the snow looks very light. Maybe we have 11 or 12 inches now

I seen the storm reports from Upton. Orange county has the jackpot on the east ans southeast sections. I would have thought you might have been a bit higher since we are in the same deform zone that ran along the hudson river into costal nj.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd estimate about 20-22" here in Colts Neck. I had 17" two hours ago and we've been snowing at 2-3"/hr rates, moreso than you in Marlboro. SE of me, someone I know is reporting 2 feet in Neptune.

We're definitely going to be rivaling, possibly surpassing PD II totals here (which was 24").

that band in Central Suffolk better not miss us

Yea, it appears as though the band is back building - it will probably settle somewhere between Eastern Nassau and Central Suffolk - perhaps it stalls for a few... This is probably in response to the storm bombing to the SE of LI.. As this happens the Super band in NJ will begin to die.. But it will still snow out there for probably a long time... just not 3" an hour.. more 1/2"-1" and hour..

Jeff

I'd estimate about 20-22" here in Colts Neck. I had 17" two hours ago and we've been snowing at 2-3"/hr rates, moreso than you in Marlboro. SE of me, someone I know is reporting 2 feet in Neptune.

Yeah I believe it too looking at those radar images. I'm on the NW border in the Morganville section of Marlboro near Monroe/Manalapan/Old Bridge, so I may have been on the very edge of those extremely heavier bands. Even still, this is one h*ll of a storm!!!

What were your totals last winter?

Im on par with Dec 2000. For me this isnt surpassing '96 or 2003.

Last winter my largest event was the Dec 19th-20th storm, with a little over 22". The other three events in February were 15", 16" and 13" respectively. So right now I'm getting ready to surpass last year's monster.

This might be another scenario like 2/25 last year where the banding repivoted to become NW-SE oriented and there was a period when extremely heavy snow commenced over Nassau and Suffolk counties, even though the low was occluded and stacked. The heavy banding over Suffolk looks like it's expanding and headed W, just like that event did. Probably half a foot of snow here at least in 2 hours that early AM. One thing's for sure, interior SNE looks to get really jipped. The RUC definitely shows the snow redeveloping and pivoting over LI for many more hours.

Yeah, we're gonna get hit pretty hard overnight, IMO.

Have you measured recently, btw?

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Wherever the best forcing sets up, it stays there and doesn't move and usually fizzles out. I'd like to get some deform action before I go to bed but that probably isn't going to happen.

I just went outside and measured a lot of drifts over a foot (don't have a yard stick) but I'd say it's around 11" right now.

Keith is right.. Unless that insane band to our west gives me a foot of more snow in the next 10 hours - what I will remember about this storm will be the incredible winds at my location..

I have 12.5" here in NE Nassau.

Here's Islip's wind speed and guests.

8:20 PM...........39.1 mph........54.1 mph

8:40 PM...........42.6 mph........59.8 mph

8:56 PM...........40.3 mph........56.4 mph

9:56 PM.......... 38.0 mph........50.6 mph

10:56 PM.........40.3 mph........ -

11:56 PM ........40.3 mph........ -

seymour oxford line elevation somewhere between 700-800 not sure exactly every map is different

That's a pretty sharp cutoff because I am only a few exits down the road from you and still going crazy here. Last couple of frames look like things pushing back east a little so let's hope. :snowman:

Hey all- long time peruser of the old Eastern weather board and found my way over here recently. I really enjoy all the info and forecasting that goes on here, great stuff!

I live up in Monroe, NY- in Orange County. I'm on the outside of town about 5 miles outside Greenwood Lake. I can tell you that we have been getting crushed pretty well for hours now.

Just spent the last couple of hours out there ripping around on my ATV and doing some plowing. Hard to say with all the blowing and drifting but I would have to estimate we are close to 18 inches. I heard a report earlier that Harriman had checked in at 14 inches but that was a good 3 hours or so ago.

This area always seems to do well with these coastal storms- optimal spot about 50 miles inland where the temps are always cold enough to not worry about mixing, yet not too far to miss out on them.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy and I recommend taking a step outside for a moment or two to take it all in- it's awesome to be outside at night with a raging blizzard going on. You never know when it will happen again.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all- be safe and well.

Archived