Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,034
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

Strong Nor'Easter/Hybrid Storm Late September 2026


Rjay
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, STORMANLI said:

5.61" 5pm

9am Larkfield Rd south of Jericho Tpke Northbound where it becomes 2 lanes down to 1 in flooding.

And in the shopping center on the southeast corner multiple spots flooded with a delivery truck perpendicular from

Instant

Hydration

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TriPol said:

If you live on Long Island or the Jersey Shore, you'll remember this storm for the rest of your life.

Where I am personally, notable but I’ve seen a lot worse. Some of the shore areas did flood pretty heavily due to the piled up water over a few high tides. Overall I’d say it was about as expected. The wet ground contributed to more trees down and power outages. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jm1220 said:

Where I am personally, notable but I’ve seen a lot worse. Some of the shore areas did flood pretty heavily due to the piled up water over a few high tides. Overall I’d say it was about as expected. 

Expected when? And by whom? As late as Wednesday, the NWS was calling this a nuisance storm. The GFS had this bombing out and hitting Maine. It wasn't until late thursday/early Friday that the idea of this hitting the NJ coast came.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Rjay unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, TriPol said:

Expected when? And by whom? As late as Wednesday, the NWS was calling this a nuisance storm. The GFS had this bombing out and hitting Maine. It wasn't until late thursday/early Friday that the idea of this hitting the NJ coast came.

Not historic but major

 If Noreasters were rated on a 5 point scale this would be a major a Cat 3.  Both Sandy and December 1992 would rate a 5 that's historic.

13 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Where I am personally, notable but I’ve seen a lot worse. Some of the shore areas did flood pretty heavily due to the piled up water over a few high tides. Overall I’d say it was about as expected. The wet ground contributed to more trees down and power outages. 

Yes a 3 of 5. December 1992 and Sandy would be 5 out of 5.

14 hours ago, TriPol said:

If you live on Long Island or the Jersey Shore, you'll remember this storm for the rest of your life.

Possibly but again not historic 

19 hours ago, TriPol said:

Well. I am sufficiently soaked. I believe we can officially declare the drought over. 

Except for a few months last year there was never a real drought. I'm not going to use inflated averages to justify a drought. Summers are normally drier.  And once this awful el nino ends we'll return to our hotter and drier summers next year.

23 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

I just want to clarify some narratives being played in the forum.

If you were inland, like I am in Westchester, this was pretty much nothing but an annoying drizzly sometimes rainy weekend. An under-performer based on what was hyped by an always hysterical populous.

 

As for beaches, and Eastern Long Island, this was NOT a standard nor easter. The beaches on the north shore have devastation that I have only seen one time since 1988…Sandy.

A tale of two storms…with the worst aspect being prolonged, days long erosion with strong NE winds

IMG_3764.jpeg

That last part is incorrect. December 1992 was far more historic than this storm on every metric. I'd put this third far behind both Sandy and December 1992. If you go farther back, to 1960, add Donna 1960 and Ash Wednesday 1962 to that list.

23 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Dogfish Shark spotted in Barnegat Bay

There were sharks in people's driveways!

22 hours ago, Rjay said:

 

December 1992 had a longer period of gusty winds than either here. FIVE DAYS in total!

9 hours ago, Prue11 said:

It was memorable but nothing we haven’t seen

Correct a 3 out of 5.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

One of the bigger beach erosion events of the 2020s so far.

 

Yes but not historic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was this a bad storm? Absolutely. But we’ve seen plenty of those since especially around 2010. March 2010 for example was devastating for many because of tree/power damage and we’ve had many more since. For coastal flooding in the back bays I think it briefly hit Major status which is what was expected. Upton was a little slow to catch on but eventually upgraded the coastal areas to high wind warnings and flooding was about what was expected. For days models had the 4-5” rains a chunk of us experienced and Upton had a similar total precip map out. The wet grounds aided in uprooting trees vs if we had dry conditions this summer. The beaches got pounded due to the storm lingering for days and yes it’s rare we get these so soon in September. But compared to other storms we’ve gotten in the last 15 years or so is it that historic-no. Disruptive yes. 

  • Like 1
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I followed up on my initial posts tropical weather 9/21-23 and agree w the subsequent summaries here.

My last on this...

Well... it's done (not a subtropical storm but...big moderate, spotty major impacts with 2-8" of Rain I95 corridor, two surges of power outages (early Sat and early Sun), at least moderate CF and at least moderate dune damage).

 

I sure hope everyone agrees it was VERY well modeled by the EPS/EC suite vs the United States GEFS back at least to 9/21..., a very good planner. Debris cleanup now. 

Will check back when we get some comparable headline extensive moderate or major impact coastal storms this winter.  Helpful good posts.

(I like how the 5H trough is repeating here in the east this fall---let's see if its cold enough to be dendrites). 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Very memorable storm. I can’t remember the last time my entire property was covered in live tree branches and leaves. Quite the cleanup 

My street is a disaster with twigs on it still and a street around the corner from me had no power for 2.5 days because of branches down on power lines. I definitely agree it was a disruptive storm. I just had power flicker a few times. A few years ago PSEG did a good job clearing branches away from power lines on my street after we had something similar happen with us so this time it probably saved us. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...