• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 20-21 Severe Threat

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Reed Timmer just got this video. It shredded a windmill. I recorded off my phone but don’t know where to upload since it’s too big for the board upload system . Those vortexes! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, StormySquares said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't it look like the velocity signature weakened some as it went into Greenfield? 

Even if it did, it was still likely too little too late to spare Greenfield from extensive damage.

1 minute ago, Chinook said:

new tornado by Cambridge, north of Des Moines. (radar might have seen the initial circulation right next to the radar a few minutes ago)

PDS warning on that one but it's hard to tell given its proximity to the radar site. 

5 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It was pretty close to the radar, and I think I found that the base velocity was 140mph on the south side of the tornado, maybe the max base velocity that can be measured?

Looking back, my GR2 had a couple base-velocity pixels of 160 kt (184 mph) at around 700 feet above ground when the tornado was south of Cambridge, IA. Even discounting that, there were several scans where it had 120-140 kt base velocity at multiple tilts, which is impressive.  Looks like that particular tornado has finally weakened, thankfully. 

• Like 1

Greenfield drone footage. No matter how many times I see it, it never ceases to amaze me how one home can be slabbed and houses a block away are relatively unscathed. Really high end damage, will have to see what the survey crews find.

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Greenfield drone footage. No matter how many times I see it, it never ceases to amaze me how one home can be slabbed and houses a block away are relatively unscathed. Really high end damage, will have to see what the survey crews find.

That looks like EF3 to 4 damage along the path. Brutal. Hope everyone made shelter. :( 

24 minutes ago, thunderbird12 said:

Looking back, my GR2 had a couple base-velocity pixels of 160 kt (184 mph) at around 700 feet above ground when the tornado was south of Cambridge, IA. Even discounting that, there were several scans where it had 120-140 kt base velocity at multiple tilts, which is impressive.  Looks like that particular tornado has finally weakened, thankfully. 

maybe my system couldn't display a number over 141mph

7 minutes ago, Brian D said:

That looks like EF3 to 4 damage along the path. Brutal. Hope everyone made shelter. :( 

Ya I don’t necessarily like tossing out numbers based of photos etc, but I’d bet my left nut this will be rated EF4+

Saw a few photos of asphalt ripped from the road as well. 

Greenfield, IA tornado will be “at least EF4”. Pretty significant damage indicators being found. Of significant, the asphalt scouring and how the debris looks granulated. Typically these are trademarks of upper echelon high end tornadoes, along with debris lofting 40k feet into the atmosphere. I would venture to say preliminary rated 190mph or 200mph until engineers get on site to conduct their analysis. Engineers such as Tim Marshall.

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

may very well only be an EF-2 in that case.

Numerous slabs wiped clean have bent anchor bolts. Tim has rated past tornadoes EF5 (ex: the 2011 EF5’s) off of this sole indicator. That and/or missing anchor bolts, but there’s no reports of any missing anchor bolts, as of yet.

IMG_6185.png

confirmed tornado near Davenport

The National Weather Service in the Quad Cities has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southeastern Cedar County in east central Iowa...
  Northwestern Scott County in east central Iowa...
  North central Muscatine County in east central Iowa...

* Until 800 PM CDT.

* At 738 PM CDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado
  was located near Atalissa, or 8 miles north of Muscatine, moving
  northeast at 65 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Weather spotters confirmed tornado.