Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,540
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
    Joined

May 2024 General Discussion


Recommended Posts

Currently 54 and very breezy this evening. Looks like some patchy frost possible up north if the winds calm down. We’ve been sustained over 20mph and gusting over 40mph all afternoon.

Cool weather on tap for the holiday weekend, in 2018 Memorial Day was the earliest 100 on record in the Twin Cities. This year we’ll probably stay in the 60s all day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Currently 54 and very breezy this evening. Looks like some patchy frost possible up north if the winds calm down. We’ve been sustained over 20mph and gusting over 40mph all afternoon.

Cool weather on tap for the holiday weekend, in 2018 Memorial Day was the earliest 100 on record in the Twin Cities. This year we’ll probably stay in the 60s all day. 

TWC's calling for a high of 72 for Memorial Day.

Want a bad Memorial Day? Go back to  Memorial Day 1996 when temps were in the 50's all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A cool morning in the upper 30's-low 40's around NE MN. Picked up 0.28" of rain yesterday from scattered shwrs/stms. Up to 3.82" for the month (3.30" May avg), so doing well there. Looks like another chance at shwrs/stms tonight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

I wonder if we're going to go right into non-stop 90s. The last week though has helped scratch the no heat issue here. Got 83-86F for a few days there. 

Coldest summer on record coming. Just kidding.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, roardog said:

Coldest summer on record coming. Just kidding.

Cold summers following El Niño winters are just very rare like 1992 (due to the 1991 Pinatubo eruption), 2003, 1969, or 1958. None of those cold summers after El Niño winters were followed by a La Niña winter. Each of those cold summers were either followed by a Neutral winter or a 2nd-year El Niño winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not be surprised if this ends up being the hottest summer on record for this sub. Niña onset with descending +QBO is pretty much a guarantee for a blowtorch summer, though I don't think we see much in the way of extreme heat until later on in July/August.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rainsucks said:

I would not be surprised if this ends up being the hottest summer on record for this sub. Niña onset with descending +QBO is pretty much a guarantee for a blowtorch summer, though I don't think we see much in the way of extreme heat until later on in July/August.

agreed. Good chance it gets hot in July and August,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 9:51 PM, Spartman said:

TWC's calling for a high of 72 for Memorial Day.

Want a bad Memorial Day? Go back to  Memorial Day 1996 when temps were in the 50's all day.

P&C on weather.gov has bumped my backyard up to 70 on Monday. I’ll take this weather all summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy Memorial Day. Showers most of the morning here, temps are in the upper 50s but should surge into the 60s as the precipitation moves out this afternoon. Not the best day for boating but might try and catch the twins game later if it dries out in time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

We got to be close to some may records for rainfall, atleast up here in macomb. We've had atleast 5 days this month where atleast an inch of rain fell.

Good records at Pontiac, and DTW show only 2-2.4" for them so far. But the top 10 wettest May's for them run between 5-8"+. So sounds like you're up there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Temps running in the mid-upper 60's currently (11:30 am) with rain to the W & S. Moving slow this way, so not sure what we'll get here later, if anything. A very light SE wind keeping temps a little lower along the shoreline. A very nice start to Memorial Day. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, weatherbo said:

That’s what makes it so great. If I had to live in Texas I’d probably kill myself and if I had to live in Chicago I’d kill somebody. To each their own. 

TH pop running around 3.7k, which is plenty big enough for me to live in. When I was in the Army, stationed in NJ, the big pop difference was very different to handle in everyday life from what I was used too. TOO MUCH, but being young, and forced to adjust, you do what you have too. Nasty air there compared to up here, as well. 

Duluth has been the biggest city (86k+) that I've had to deal with regularly, and that is not too bad. After my Army years out East, whenever I had to go to the Cities, I was prepared for that. They are still easier to deal with than the mayhem out East.

Summer tourism here gets a little nuts, and sirens tend to wail a bit more often than I care for, but it's better than other places I've lived in my younger days. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

TH pop running around 3.7k, which is plenty big enough for me to live in. When I was in the Army, stationed in NJ, the big pop difference was very different to handle in everyday life from what I was used too. TOO MUCH, but being young, and forced to adjust, you do what you have too. Nasty air there compared to up here, as well. 

Duluth has been the biggest city (86k+) that I've had to deal with regularly, and that is not too bad. After my Army years out East, whenever I had to go to the Cities, I was prepared for that. They are still easier to deal with than the mayhem out East.

Summer tourism here gets a little nuts, and sirens tend to wail a bit more often than I care for, but it's better than other places I've lived in my younger days. :) 

Spent most of my time as a kid living in N Indiana in a small town In between Ft Wayne and South Bend... it was rural but still busy and heavily populated. Growing up I had always wanted to live in a truly remote area and on top of that I really disliked the heat and humidity of the corn belt, loved wintertime and snow, so this area was a no brainer for me.  Not to mention I'm a fairly introverted person anyway so the lack of people suited me well.

The closest town to me is Big Bay which has a population of 381 but has also lost 33% of its population since 2020 for whatever reason.  It's a small hunting, camping town that sees a bit of a bump in activity during the summer and autumn months from tourists but a literal ghost town in winter.  It has a small general store with gas and the basics... I can be there in 15 min.  Marquette, the biggest city in the UP with a population around 20k, has all the necessities, some decent restaurants and a few big box stores and is a 25-30 min trip, depending on the weather. Close enough but also far enough away that the summer tourists don't bother me.

Occasionally I do go downstate and back to Indiana for different things and the traffic, the people and the hustle can be a bit overwhelming but reminds me exactly why I live where I do, down a dead-end dirt road in the middle of Michigan's n woods. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grabbed a handful of frozen chicken pot pies at that general store in Big Bay on an epic 250 mile ride a few years back.

As I recall, we were wrapping up a sit-down lunch in L'Anse close to 3 p.m.

By the time we made it back to Munising late on that Wednesday night, most all local options were closed but for the lobby microwave and my Big Bay chicken pot pies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...