Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyone done proper Midwest storm chasing? My family vacation plans for May got disrupted but I’m still debating taking the time I had scheduled off for myself… I’m gonna be over my PTO allotment if I don’t use it soon.

Trying to get a sense of the cost of existing as a storm chaser for a week - hotels, gas, rental car (with insurance, lmao). No idea if it’s worth the struggle but it strikes me as the kind of vacation that could work solo if I had to take a solo trip.

@WxWatcher007 is a pro!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

I asked Copilot "how are you more helpful than using Google".

It basically told me it was a shill for Microsoft and it used Bing lol.

Oh, I'm quite sure. So, I have been tasked to "teach" a course in MS Copilot to not only my team of co-workers (around 10 folks), but potentially for larger groups across our organization in my "day job." I have about as much trust in Microsoft as I do Google...which is to say, meh;) 

Beyond that...while generative AI has great potential as a "starter" tool when it comes to writing, I've already developed a disdain for it because in the undergrad courses that I teach as part of my "side/evening gig," easily ONE QUARTER (or more) of the students I've taught in several class offerings over the past 1.5 years have blatantly used generative AI to cheat their asses off in submitted papers and required discussions.

There are generative AI "writing checkers" online now, but FFS...you can just tell, because there are always a couple students who normally write complete and total shite (in terms of grammar AND content), who suddenly turn in the most gorgeous, GENERATED prose ever. It's just so completely and egregiously obvious.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyone done proper Midwest storm chasing? My family vacation plans for May got disrupted but I’m still debating taking the time I had scheduled off for myself… I’m gonna be over my PTO allotment if I don’t use it soon.

Trying to get a sense of the cost of existing as a storm chaser for a week - hotels, gas, rental car (with insurance, lmao). No idea if it’s worth the struggle but it strikes me as the kind of vacation that could work solo if I had to take a solo trip.

6 hours ago, nj2va said:

@WxWatcher007 is a pro!

Haha far from a pro but I’ve done it a few times! I’ve never done solo but it may be possible. 

I think if I were to do solo I’d only have a predetermined zone I’d be willing to drive in—say staying in the front range of Colorado through central Kansas and bouncing around the zone depending on the severe wx outlook. During my trips I had at least one other person willing to drive, and we literally traveled thousands of miles each trip over the course of 7-10 days. One time we went from San Antonio to Corpus Christi to Amarillo in one day. That’s a lot to ask of one person. 

Expect to spend between $100-150 each night for a decent hotel. Gas isn’t terrible if you have an efficient car. Rental car with insurance (and always get the full insurance in case of getting totaled by hail lol) isn’t awful as well but check around to get the cheapest price. Don’t forget to factor in food. Each of my trips cost at least $1k. Being in multiple cities alone is worth the cost IMO. 

That’s all doable. The biggest challenge with a solo trip imo is the logistics when you’re actually in chase mode. Driving and tracking a supercell that could split, spawn a tornado, or throw out big hail far from the “center” sounds dicey.

If you did do it, I’d recommend keeping even greater distance and ALWAYS being prepared to move to a safer location. If you question in the slightest whether you’re safe, move immediately. 

Other than that, hell of a thrill and amazing to travel the country. I’d try chasing again this year, but I think the tropics will have me busy this summer/fall. ;) 

BagLPMA.jpg

yprmHMR.png

WLDBVHW.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

There are generative AI "writing checkers" online now, but FFS...you can just tell, because there are always a couple students who normally write complete and total shite (in terms of grammar AND content), who suddenly turn in the most gorgeous, GENERATED prose ever. It's just so completely and egregiously obvious.

As a student I've noticed that often times AI writing isn't even that great, its more or less boilerplate slop (is good for summarizations and titles though). There is one kid in my Ap Lang class who uses AI on every assignment and gets straight Bs, overall I just don't see its use besides for the laziest students who can't be bothered to think up anything better. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha far from a pro but I’ve done it a few times! I’ve never done solo but it may be possible. 

I think if I were to do solo I’d only have a predetermined zone I’d be willing to drive in—say staying in the front range of Colorado through central Kansas and bouncing around the zone depending on the severe wx outlook. During my trips I had at least one other person willing to drive, and we literally traveled thousands of miles each trip over the course of 7-10 days. One time we went from San Antonio to Corpus Christi to Amarillo in one day. That’s a lot to ask of one person. 

Expect to spend between $100-150 each night for a decent hotel. Gas isn’t terrible if you have an efficient car. Rental car with insurance (and always get the full insurance in case of getting totaled by hail lol) isn’t awful as well but check around to get the cheapest price. Don’t forget to factor in food. Each of my trips cost at least $1k. Being in multiple cities alone is worth the cost IMO. 

That’s all doable. The biggest challenge with a solo trip imo is the logistics when you’re actually in chase mode. Driving and tracking a supercell that could split, spawn a tornado, or throw out big hail far from the “center” sounds dicey.

If you did do it, I’d recommend keeping even greater distance and ALWAYS being prepared to move to a safer location. If you question in the slightest whether you’re safe, move immediately. 

Other than that, hell of a thrill and amazing to travel the country. I’d try chasing again this year, but I think the tropics will have me busy this summer/fall. ;) 

BagLPMA.jpg

yprmHMR.png

WLDBVHW.jpeg

A great response and I agree totally. I've never 'chased' by myself, only with my son on a few occasions. The part about driving AND keeping up with radar/warnings/sky conditions keeps me from trying solo myself. BTW awesome last pic!

• Like 1

So the commanders drafted 'Lamar 2.0', and the Ravens have the original. Should be fun to watch locally, even though they may not compete against each other very often. Good pick by the Commanders imo and probably the best QB overall in the draft.

For some reason, I'm just not convinced about Caleb Williams...dude smells like a bust to me. Something about him...And he came up so amped up even though he knew he was gonna be the No. 1 overall pick. Talking about the crowd...seems to lack a bit of humility (not to be confused with confidence). For the Bears' sake I hope I'm wrong, but...not a great vibe to me! And...it is the Bears, lol

On 4/15/2024 at 8:26 PM, toolsheds said:

That's great news and is a great experience for her!  Trying to get mine to look at the abroad program they have in London.  She initially wanted to and now is not so sure.  

It is a big decision. This will be my kids second time abroad. She was in England last Spring. As it was her freshman spring semester it was a more guided experience. This time she will actually be taking classes for her major. The idea of attending one of Europes oldest film schools and get hands on experience and connections is what really drew her to her program. It also involves a 20hr language intensive the first week. The best part about going abroad is if you don’t go one semester there are more chances. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic