Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

After the huge screamer with winds and rain this week next weekend and beyond looks relatively nice EPS

The operational model versions appear more pessimistic overall than their ensemble means ...

I'm not sure that means they are wrong, however.  

The differences between them is the amount of blocking vs keeping the flow progressive.  For ex, the GFS has what looks like a another -2 SD western -NAO.  The GEFs mean however keeps the flow progressive through the NAO domain.  GFS implies butt-bang weather.  The GEFs would at least offer warm interludes.

As spring/warm enthusiasts, obviously we don't want the operational GFS.  We could say that it is an outlier compared to its ens mean ... etc therefore less likely to be correct.   It's also true that at this time of year, with chaotic flow and shortening wave lengths, the overall predictive skill is just technologically limited...  that too.  

However, we just had a pretty crazy -NAO, so the seasonal precedence is in place.  That means if it happened once, it can certainly happen again.  The other aspect is that we've been suffering this spring bullshit with New England being the only offset cool location out of the whole world, while everywhere else brags about global warming LOL.   It's like we're the red-headed step child region.    We have this tendency around here that is very real though, to never "feel" or sense our weather to be above normal, yet ... we're always resulting above normal.  

Relativity I suppose...  We just aren't getting the big departures they're getting elsewhere.  For whatever reason(s), we are above normal in a very uninspired/sneaky means; we are consummately limping to the finish line in last place in the warmer than normal race.   We are currently -.5 and -2.2 at Hartford and Worcester so far through April 6.  At least for the time being ... the averages actually are negative so far.  But I wouldn't be surprised if these end up mirrored by the end of the month, yet we still carry on with our personal impressions of being red-headed ( lol )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit. Sister, brother in law sister in law and 2 nieces live in Denver western burbs. 

.HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MDT TODAY...

* WHAT...West winds 40 to 50 mph with gusts up to 95 mph.

* WHERE...Rocky Mountain National Park and the Medicine Bow Range,
  The Mountains of Summit County, the Mosquito Range, and the Indian
  Peaks, The Northern Front Range Foothills, The Southern Front
  Range Foothills, South Park, Fort Collins, and Boulder and the
  western suburbs of Denver.
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

I’m not a big November or December guy.  Windy, chilly, spitting rain, cloudy and dark. April can have some real nice days. It was pretty nice middle of last April. Though I don’t live near the coast.  65 here Tuesday!  

I guess I should have prefaced . I've never lived far from the coast. I kind of like November and December. Thanksgiving and Christmas, and anticipation of snowfall.

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, November 15  to December 15 can be rough.  In April, at least in the valley, we can do real well on those downslope dandy days.

I can see that. Few and far between here. When you do get a nice one it's glorious. Tomorrow maybe.

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I guess I should have prefaced . I've never lived far from the coast. I kind of like November and December. Thanksgiving and Christmas, and anticipation of snowfall.

Yeah I like that part of it!  Anticipating ski season too.  But weather wise those months suck.  Like hippy says 11/15-12/15 suck!  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

Yeah I like that part of it!  Anticipating ski season too.  But weather wise those months suck.  Like hippy says 11/15-12/15 suck!  

Heh ... I disagree.  I mean obviously this is just for subjective muse buuuut...   it's a difference of mise-en-scène when you have the possibilities of an entire winter still before you. That month of late autumn is also been improving in wintry threat frequencies - owing to CC changing the circulation modes of the hemisphere, triggering seasonal 'pro-lapsing'.  Counter-intuitive perhaps, but that causes cold incursions to increase at that time of year.  It just doesn't last deeper into winters for a delicious popsicle headache bunch of reasons...

Anyway, it may suck for him or her ... that's up to the individual. But if the reason it is sucking is because of uninspired drab weather?  I don't see how either a subjective or objective observation makes that time year bad enough to put an "!" bang on the word suck - certainly not compared to a 47 f'um degrees with an endless hallway coming at us full of strata blocking warm sun, April.   I get it that you can have fine stretches in Aprils ... however, that's like a abusive spouse syndrome.  You may get these tender moments that keep you coming back ... ultimately for the back of the hand.

• Like 1

April brings in forsythia, daffodils, perrywinkle, magnolia, peepers, and if you're deep in the valley maybe even some morels. I'm not one to rank months but April is pretty great in my book.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hopefully I can hit my first 70F before June.

Rembered your brownies comment to me when I said March 20th to mid April would be BN. What's  Northfield stats from March 20th to yesterday.  Just wondering not busting balls. You will probably average out by the 15th.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most of those came in Morch 

Most are now wilted and peepers covered by a thin layer of ice in the swamp this morning. Another miserable cold windy day. Congrats on UCONN.  Women got hosed by the Caitlin Clark phenomenon 

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Most are now wilted and peepers covered by a thin layer of ice in the swamp this morning. Another miserable cold windy day. Congrats on UCONN.  Women got hosed by the Caitlin Clark phenomenon 

One more win .

I don’t see any blooms wilted around here. Forsythia loaded with yellow 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Bundle up and go sniff the flowers 

PXL_20240407_153005721.MP~3.jpg

• Like 1

Golden Colorado yikes. Electricity out

22:55 W 58 G 83 10.00 Fair and Windy CLR 39 5     24% 23 NA 29.44 NA      
06 22:35 W 56 G 74 10.00 Fair and Windy CLR 39 5     24% 24 NA 29.45 NA      
06 22:15 W 59 G 79 10.00 Fair and Windy CLR 39 9     28% 23 NA 29.45 NA      
06 21:45 W 60 G 77 10.00 Partly Cloudy and Windy SCT100 41 7     24% 26 NA 29.45 NA      
06 20:49 W 55 G 76 10.00 Partly Cloudy and Windy SCT100 41

43 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

still looks like winter for a couple more days here.. we melt soon though

:huh: Mid 60s tomorrow ... 70 possible over parking lots and sun lit back decks.

what are you looking at that "looks like winter" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

That was a moving pick.   Should they have called them earlier? Sure.  But it was the right call. 

• Thanks 1

Here's the deal...   we were plannin' on leaving early and headin' on up for the eclipse, replete with cooler and goggles not unlike the hundreds of thousands ( even millions) doing the same.   

This would make for a potentially shitty day out of a once in a lifetime experience.   ... be that as it may...    We have these strategies to avoid that part of the frustration - over crowded roads and stalled traffic that appears out to the horizon ..etc.   Hopefully that works out.

But there is a certain value in sticking here.  My buddy's saying that if we get on one of the interstates and it's standing still we'll bale and just come back and do the 93% here and get a round of disc golf in.  It's a hookie day from work and it's likely to be almost 70 F, with azure-cerulean blue skies horizon to horizon, with no wind and very low RH. 

Hmm  if we get all the way up there, we'll miss out on that - that first day of the year like that is special. But it's likely to be in slush dump fields and muddy, and temperatures in the low 50s up along the path of totality.  

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:huh: Mid 60s tomorrow ... 70 possible over parking lots and sun lit back decks.

what are you looking at that "looks like winter" 

probably meant looking out his front window .. still a lot of snow to melt out his way 

2016732703_Screenshot2024-04-07at12_11_04PM.thumb.png.6882fc065441d0cc0a3caca7673c57b7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1