• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 2024 General Discussion

rainsucks

The wettest April on record is assured for this area. The record is For FWA is 7.19". They have recorded 6.69" before the early morning rain today.

I have already caught 7.32" imby.

The past few years, late spring cold has meant late garden planting.  This year's it's plenty warm, just too wet. The upside is that the rain has been pretty spread out over previously dry  soil, so nothing more than nuisance flooding has occurred.

• Like 3

Yesterday was my first 80F of the year.  Picked up 2/3" rain over the past couple days.  April total now at 4.5" overall good but not close to any records.

Definitely enjoying the warmth and humidity!! :sun:

• Like 1

Absolute scorcher out there today.

At Cleveland, the low of 68F and the mean of 74.5F both set daily record highs. The low was just two degrees shy of the monthly high minimum reading of 70F, set on April 25, 2009. 

At Detroit, the low of 63F was one shy of the daily record high set way back in 1899. The mean of 71.5F also fell just shy of the record of 72.0F, also set in 1899. 

At Mansfield, Ohio, the low of 65F was just two shy of the daily record high of 67F set in 1974, which is also the monthly record high. The mean temperature of 73F was just 0.5F below the daily record high of 73.5F, set in 1974, and just 2.5F below the all-time monthly record high of 75.5F set on April 24, 1925.

At Youngstown, Ohio, the low of 66F set a new daily record high and tied the monthly record high minimum reading, set on April 17, 2002 & April 25, 2009. The mean temperature of 73.5F was just 0.5F shy of the daily record set in 1990, and just 2.5F below the all-time record high mean of 76F set on April 25, 2009.

Tl;dr: About as hot as it gets in late April, and some of these locations will likely be even warmer tomorrow!

Pretty impressive flip-flop between yesterday, today and tomorrow. Yesterday, 78 and sunny to partly cloudy all day with showers and storms later in the night. Today, midday highs barely breaking 45 and rain pretty constantly all day. And then tomorrow it's supposed to warm back up to 68 and partly cloudy. In fact, the lowest temps of the period were at like 1 today when it was 43 out. Temps have been slowly rising since then and should continue all night long. 

At Detroit, I am now projecting the monthly mean temperature to clock in around 53.3F, which would be good for 5th warmest on the threaded list. It's unfortunate that City Airport (KDET) is not the official reporting station as it was in the middle of the 20th century. The mean there just through yesterday was already 53.2F. Would probably be looking at a new monthly record there. Also would have had a new record high minimum and mean today. Either way, good chance DET (with continuous records to 1934) establishes a new monthly high.

Elsewhere around the lower lakes, much the same. Many areas should see a top five warmest April, with perhaps some widely scattered record-breaking readings.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

At Detroit, I am now projecting the monthly mean temperature to clock in around 53.3F, which would be good for 5th warmest on the threaded list. It's unfortunate that City Airport (KDET) is not the official reporting station as it was in the middle of the 20th century. The mean there just through yesterday was already 53.2F. Would probably be looking at a new monthly record there. Either way, good chance DET (with continuous records to 1934) establishes a new monthly high.

Elsewhere around the lower lakes, much the same. Many areas should see a top five warmest April, with perhaps some widely scattered record-breaking readings.

it's been a typical April.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

the incessant downplaying of warmth on this board is really starting to get old.

It's harder and harder to see below normal months. Could you image July coming in with -5.

7 minutes ago, winterwx01 said:

It's harder and harder to see below normal months. Could you image July coming in with -5.

that actually happened not too long ago in 2014 when ORD finished right at -5. But yeah, hard to imagine that happening now.

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I suppose if a typical April is record-breaking heat?

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I suppose if a typical April is record-breaking heat?

Not sure about seasonal anomalies,records  and stats- I go more by what I see. First cut of the lawn was mid April which was about normal. Snowflakes on or around opening day. Had to cover the hostas and up coming plants last week due to potential freeze  which is typical. Would not be surprised to see another before were clear for the season-hoping not as I would prefer the warmth but I know how things roll around here. No question it was a non winter. 

1 hour ago, rainsucks said:

the incessant downplaying of warmth on this board is really starting to get old.

First, I prefer a warm spring.Second, I do believe up until several years ago the largest accumulating snow in Chicago was April 14,1961. Not sure exact, but I do believe that has been surpassed twice in the last decade. All that said, if I can get it even to me more like Knoxville around here I'm all for it in my time.

1 hour ago, rainsucks said:

nah, he's right. It's been a notably warm and wet April across the region. Though northern Illinois seems to be a relative cool spot this month for some reason. 

MonthTDeptMRCC (1).png

isn't that slightly above normal for Chicago area?

2 hours ago, Baum said:

isn't that slightly above normal for Chicago area?

ORD is currently running a +2.4 departure and will likely finish around +3, good for a top 15 warmest April on record. That's a bit more than just "slightly above" imo.

Reached 80 again at Detroit. That's the fourth 80+ reading of the month. From a historical standpoint, nothing too crazy. But it is true that there have only been 8 years with more 80+ days in April over the last 152 years of record, so it is fairly uncommon to see that many readings in the 80s in the month of April.

One thing I do find interesting is the incidence of 80+ days in April has changed markedly since the turn of this century. It used to be the case that the VAST majority of Aprils failed to attain 80F or better in Detroit. Indeed, through 2000, 83 of 127 years failed to reach 80F. By contrast, in the most recent 24 years, only 5 have failed to reach 80F at least once. As a percentage, that means 65.4% of the first 127 years failed to reach 80F in the month of April. In the most recent 24 years, only 20.8% have failed to reach 80F. Not sure if this trend is significant but is a marked change. Perhaps @michsnowfreakcould weigh in with his thoughts?

Reached 80 again at Detroit. That's the fourth 80+ reading of the month. From a historical standpoint, nothing too crazy. But it is true that there have only been 8 years with more 80+ days in April over the last 152 years of record, so it is fairly uncommon to see that many readings in the 80s in the month of April.
One thing I do find interesting is the incidence of 80+ days in April has changed markedly since the turn of this century. It used to be the case that the VAST majority of Aprils failed to attain 80F or better in Detroit. Indeed, through 2000, 83 of 127 years failed to reach 80F. By contrast, in the most recent 24 years, only 5 have failed to reach 80F at least once. As a percentage, that means 65.4% of the first 127 years failed to reach 80F in the month of April. In the most recent 24 years, only 20.8% have failed to reach 80F. Not sure if this trend is significant but is a marked change. Perhaps [mention=276]michsnowfreak[/mention]could weigh in with his thoughts?

This global warming stuff ain’t too bad for Michigan eh?

On 4/23/2024 at 10:44 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I felt chilly last night around 10pm when the air temp dropped into the 70s. Amazing how quickly the body acclimates. 

When I was in Malaysia with the extreme humidity there was a time it dropped to 78F and I felt cold.

Mid last week was terrible with "filthy" temps both at night and day. It was below 0 chill even during the daytime Weds! Overnight low Thurs I think was -5C then you have this weekend where Sat into Sun overnight it was 20C here! Sat was great in the afternoon it over-achieved to 23C humdiex over 26. The trend of rain in the morning then clearing later in the day continues. Just today a squall line gave 6mm so 9mm total so far today.

Meanwhile up here in GRB, we actually have had a bit of a precip streak going since Friday. Every day since then has had at least .01 inches of rain. And the forecast for the next week shows a pretty good chance of that streak going all the way to potentially next Sunday if later. If we get to 8 days, so Saturday, it's a top 10 all time streak for days above .01 inches of rain. And 11 is our record, from April 1973. GRB has also mentioned areal flooding concerns as we get into the later part of the week, as even though this hasn't been heavy rain with the highest being .32 on Saturday, the streak of days starts to add up after a while. Especially if we get into some heavier stuff on Thursday. 

• Like 1