• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 General Discussion

rainsucks

Today was the nicest day of this young spring 2024. 73 degrees with a gentle breeze, spent the day prepping the patio, cleaning up the smoker and blackstone and enjoying the eclipse of course. Lawn mowing has commenced here as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Extended looks to be seasonal or slightly above. No significant cold to speak of, green up will be off to the races. 

looks well above average IMO, possibly even flirting with record warmth at times.

Flood Watches dropped already for tomorrow night thru Friday morning for northeast IN, northwest OH. I'm surprised they issued the Watch, although rivers are pretty full. The ground isn't saturated at the surface, thanks to the breezy conditions and sunshine today, but I guess it won't take much rain due to subsurface soil being wet.

Flood Watches dropped already for tomorrow night thru Friday morning for northeast IN, northwest OH. I'm surprised they issued the Watch, although rivers are pretty full. The ground isn't saturated at the surface, thanks to the breezy conditions and sunshine today, but I guess it won't take much rain due to subsurface soil being wet.

Ran the tiller today. Can confirm the ground is pretty moist
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yesterday pm runs of Models had 1.5-2 inches here. I doubt we've had more than .2. If this were a winter system, I'd be pissed lol. Donut hole overhead.

Models tend to overdue the QPF for our area for sure with these large systems.  I have learned to cut it in half instantly and even then know that might be the high side.   Last weeks big system was forecast to be 1.5"+ QPF but I got under 0.5" from it.  This area in SE MI (especially north of I96) does not do as well with these large systems. 

I believe it has to do with the convection to the south messing with the moisture transport or other dynamics.  By the time it gets here it is a precipitation shield is a mess.

My hope for 1.5-2" was shattered the moment DTX put this out  ;)

image.png.03f8a7d82441d2237b9a4aaf7a94cd3e.png

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yesterday pm runs of Models had 1.5-2 inches here. I doubt we've had more than .2. If this were a winter system, I'd be pissed lol. Donut hole overhead.

FWIW, it seems DTW has already picked up 0.71" so far.

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Grass/shrubs off to the races now. Trees looking ready to burst into action. Mid 70s this weekend should bring out the green. 

Grass is getting greener real quick here, too. Budding will take a little more time closer to the lake, as we tend to stay a little cooler. Longer days, and warmer temps. Time for summer season. :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

image.png.03f8a7d82441d2237b9a4aaf7a94cd3e.png

Yea I noticed their first qpf graphic had spotty yellow amounts, then they got rid of it, then doubled down and went back to it for the whole area lol. I guess I can't say they are being lazy this go around as they normally are with their graphic forecasts.

So far 1.74" IMBY. Looks like might add a little bit more here in a little bit. On the drive home from work, all the agriculture ditches were full and the usual problem fields had the duck ponds full and waiting on traffic. Could use a little dry time to soak some of this moisture into the ground good and deep.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea just most of the heavier bands have stayed west and sw. Now they are to the east lol. 

It seems even Selfridge also picked up over 1.25" as of this morning. Pontiac also did respectably.

Still got some more rain to go today to add to those totals.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

It seems even Selfridge also picked up over 1.25" as of this morning. Pontiac also did respectably.

Still got some more rain to go today to add to those totals.

The rain here has never been more than just showers. Perhaps overnight some banding setup that helped catch up on what the models were showing. Some had 2+ so doubt we'll even come close to that. Ready for some sun and warmth tomorrow for the tigers doubleheader.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:43 PM, bowtie` said:

So far 1.74" IMBY. Looks like might add a little bit more here in a little bit. On the drive home from work, all the agriculture ditches were full and the usual problem fields had the duck ponds full and waiting on traffic. Could use a little dry time to soak some of this moisture into the ground good and deep.

I did add more. Three day total of 2.12". THhat means another 0.38'" last night and today. On the drive home today, most of the temporary duck ponds are transitioning to mud bogs, in the improving conditions.