• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECLIPSE CHASING!!!!

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

In Saratoga Springs for the night and headed for Plattsburgh or Lake Placid around 7:00. In the 20's here right now but weather seems to be cooperating for this afternoon. Will report on weather conditions up here as we get closer to countdown. 

I’m just 15 minutes south of you and heading to Plattsburgh also. 
i am targeting 2 beaches that have bathrooms and also shuttles from other spots including Walmart which ultimately could be where  i end up. High clouds are simply an accepted part of this now sadly. I hope it’s just that. I could do Burlington but not sure 30 miles is significant enough at this point. Plattsburgh has a long totality , also. 
Met a retired astronomy teacher who chased 2017 and for this one he’s going to Montpelier for better shot but its totality time is half of Plattsburgh’s. So about to head out and just hope for the best. 
I return after  eclipse to Saratoga Springs. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Are people actually taking off for this lol

It's an extremely rare event! Unfortunately could not make it out of the City but will take my kids to the Park to experience the partial eclipse with the special glasses. Not nearly as good as being in totality but better than nothing.

I did research if/when NYC will be in the path of totality - May 1, 2079! Will either be dead or too old to know what is happening assuming I am even still living here, lol.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

In Saratoga Springs headed to Plattsburgh or Lake placid? Give me some advice please Don. To late for Maine. 

Im in lake placid now. If youre gonna head here do it soon. Place was a ZOO yesterday. Can only imagine how much worse today. I think im gonna risk it and stay here. I was considering northern vt but thats a 6-7 hour ride home on a good day. Not sure i want to deal with that tnite. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

In Saratoga Springs headed to Plattsburgh or Lake placid? Give me some advice please Don. To late for Maine. 

Plattsburgh is probably better than Lake Placid. Burlington or Montreal would probably be better.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Plattsburgh is probably better than Lake Placid. Burlington or Montreal would probably be better.

Itll probably take hours just to get back into NY from montreal later today, judging by 2017 traffic and the traffic already up here. Definitely have to take that into consideration, make sure you have food and water and other supplies.  

• Like 3

Just now, BxEngine said:

Itll probably take hours just to get back into NY from montreal later today, judging by 2017 traffic and the traffic already up here. Definitely have to take that into consideration, make sure you have food and water and other supplies.  

Yes. That’s true.

55 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Im in lake placid now. If youre gonna head here do it soon. Place was a ZOO yesterday. Can only imagine how much worse today. I think im gonna risk it and stay here. I was considering northern vt but thats a 6-7 hour ride home on a good day. Not sure i want to deal with that tnite. 

Glad/surprised to see you posting at this hour. I figured you'd be hungover from crushing Ubu's all day yesterday while listening to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart on loop.

• Haha 1

We are in Niagara Falls. Down around the Falls itself was very crowded yesterday. My brother headed out this morning and lots of roads and parks roped off. Not sure if they expect folks to walk or shuttle?

Just hoping weather clears. Forecast is clouds. If that is the case we are hoping for light ones. There's some hope the systems move through and out for part of the event.

Did I observe Stephanie Abrams correctly on the weather channel yesterday, standing in a grove with benches UNDERNEATH picnic awnings for eclipse viewing????  What were the picnic awnings set up for?

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Glad/surprised to see you posting at this hour. I figured you'd be hungover from crushing Ubu's all day yesterday while listening to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart on loop.

You arent wrong. Went to breakfast this morning, literal line down main street for breakfast spots, never seen that. But every song in the restaurant was space/sun/moon themed. Kinda driving me insane to be honest lol. 

also purchased a few growlers of Ubu to take home lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bkviking said:

Lake Champlain, Plattsburgh. Got great spot at City Beach where there is concerts and food truck festival and of course, bathroom access. But gambling on just high thin clouds. 

IMG_0314.jpeg

High cirrus already rolling in from the west. If they’re over the beach by 11:30am, that’s my decision point for driving east. (I’m by the HP ramp in a blue coat, by the way. Feel free to come over and chat.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

You arent wrong. Went to breakfast this morning, literal line down main street for breakfast spots, never seen that. But every song in the restaurant was space/sun/moon themed. Kinda driving me insane to be honest lol. 

also purchased a few growlers of Ubu to take home lol

Great! Let me know what time you'll be passing through the OC so I can grab one of those growlers... Is that German bakery still there on Main St near Great Adirondack Brewing? 

14 minutes ago, TriPol said:

The next time a solar eclipse will be visible in New Jersey or NYC will be 2079. Get out there and enjoy it!

Yeah but Accuweather's 20,089-Day ForecastTM has my area at 80% cloud cover for the 2079 eclipse, so I'm definitely not missing today's event.

• Haha 2