• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECLIPSE CHASING!!!!

I wanted to start this topic early.  Is anyone going to chase even though the odds are clouds? I chased the 2017 all the way to Duke energy in South Carolina and it was an absolute life-changing experience.  Our plan is to take a bunch of fellow News12ers and friends to Plattsburgh to Airborne Speedway Park parking lot, right off the Northway.  Our options that morning from our staging spot at Lake George could get us anywhere from buffalo/Niagara (Traffic issues for sure) to Vermont.  My record to get to Airborne Speedway from the NJ Beach is just under 5 hours - it's an easy drive. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Jims Videos said:

I wanted to start this topic early.  Is anyone going to chase even though the odds are clouds? I chased the 2017 all the way to Duke energy in South Carolina and it was an absolute life-changing experience.  Our plan is to take a bunch of fellow News12ers and friends to Plattsburgh to Airborne Speedway Park parking lot, right off the Northway.  Our options that morning from our staging spot at Lake George could get us anywhere from buffalo/Niagara (Traffic issues for sure) to Vermont.  My record to get to Airborne Speedway from the NJ Beach is just under 5 hours - it's an easy drive. 

Thoughts? 

Dont go by climate data from previous years, it's basically a coin flip what the weather will be like that day.

• Like 2

Can't believe it took this forum this long to make an eclipse thread. New England forum has had one for months. 

I booked the 7th and 8th in Saratoga Springs. The morning of the 8th I'll head wherever the weather looks best in the area of totality. Saratoga Springs is about an hours drive from the edge of totality path, two hours from the center. Hoping there's somewhere in NYS within 2-3 hour drive from there with decent weather.

Im just hoping the roads aren't ridiculous like the hotel prices. Even three months ago when I booked in Saratoga everything in Lake Placid and Plattsburgh was already $450 a night and up if you could find a room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

I booked a hotel in Lake Placid almost 2 years ago. Will head up Sunday and spend the day up there, and then figure out where to head if need be monday.

wow talk about good planning..... based on the maps I saw today it looks like a front could be hung up across the middle of the country with rain from Dallas to Cleveland and Pittsburgh.... the further east the better!  Even Maine could be better than Dallas or Cleveland!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Can't believe it took this forum this long to make an eclipse thread. New England forum has had one for months. 

I booked the 7th and 8th in Saratoga Springs. The morning of the 8th I'll head wherever the weather looks best in the area of totality. Saratoga Springs is about an hours drive from the edge of totality path, two hours from the center. Hoping there's somewhere in NYS within 2-3 hour drive from there with decent weather.

Im just hoping the roads aren't ridiculous like the hotel prices. Even three months ago when I booked in Saratoga everything in Lake Placid and Plattsburgh was already $450 a night and up if you could find a room. 

Smart-- see my previous post, the further east the better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The good thing is you dont need a room to see an eclipse.  I plan on just getting there and coming back, no nights spent anywhere.

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Thoughts and prayers for your first trip traveling so far north in NY

I mean, I saw other people talking about doing the same thing on the local news, so it should be fun.

I've been to Albany several times, but that's about as far north as I've gone.

I thought Syracuse was more like Central New York, I didn't realize it was so far north!

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I mean, I saw other people talking about doing the same thing on the local news, so it should be fun.

I've been to Albany several times, but that's about as far north as I've gone.

I thought Syracuse was more like Central New York, I didn't realize it was so far north!

Syracuse is Central New York, almost the geographical center of NY. I actually laugh when people refer to Orange County where I live as upstate NY. If so what do we call the 300 miles of NY state north of where I live?

• Like 1

Right now planning on somewhere around Meadville or Titusville, PA day of, then going to Niagara Falls the day after. Using 2 personal days and we have off on Wednesday for Eid (I work for a school district).

I found these two solar filters from B&H that cut out UV and IR (note they still warn not to use them for visual use-- only photographic!)

They're somewhat more expensive than the filter I'm getting but still reasonable (75-79 dollars in the 58mm size.) I'd personally go for the NiSi, it looks better to me. The Tiffen isn't on Amazon, the NiSi is, but only in 77/82/95mm size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1776711-REG/tiffen_58nd54_58mm_neutral_density_filter.html/overview

The 58mm Special 50th Aniversary Edition 18-stop Solar ND Filter from Tiffen is a solid ND filter with a 262,144x filter factor that provides an 18-stop exposure reduction. Its 5.4 density darkens the entire image, allowing you to photograph with a wider aperture or slower shutter speed while reducing the risk of overexposure. This means you can capture more detailed solar images than might be possible under normal conditions. This filter limits IR and UV light, ensuring color-neutral images, and reduces glare with its multi-layer coating.

In honor of B&H's 50th anniversary, Tiffen presents this limited edition run, specially designed to celebrate five decades of creative partnership. This exclusive Special 50th Anniversary Edition embodies the commitment to excellence that B&H stands for. Get your hands on a piece of history with this distinctive edition.

This filter is designed specifically for photography applications. This filter is not suitable for direct solar viewing with the naked eye, including with optical viewfinders.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1776573-REG/nisi_nir_nd5_0_58_solar_filter_pro_nano.html/overview?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A6879&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwh4-wBhB3EiwAeJsppMYxxflB3KZqA-5lyK1WULFWuPvDpeJmF5BJzDdF2cTuBP1JOvY8lRoCjyMQAvD_BwE

This 58mm Solar Filter Pro Nano UV/IR Cut ND100000 Filter from NiSi is an essential tool for any photographer looking to capture stunning solar images. This high-quality filter is made from optical glass and is designed to provide a 16.5-stop light reduction, making it possible to capture detailed images of the sun without overexposing them. The filter also cuts UV and IR light, ensuring the most color-neutral result. The Nano coating on the filter also helps to reduce reflections and glare, improving the overall image quality.

The NiSi Solar Filter Pro Nano UV/IR Cut ND100000 is essential for capturing stunning solar images that will stand out from the crowd. With its high-quality construction, advanced features, and ease of use, this filter is a must-have for any photographer looking to take their solar photography to the next level.

This filter is designed specifically for photography applications. This filter is not suitable for direct solar viewing with the naked eye, including with optical viewfinders.

Precautions and Warnings

• This filter is not appropriate for direct solar observation with the naked eye, and should exclusively be used for photographic purposes.
  • Check the solar filter for damage before each use by holding it up to a bright light (not the sun). Secure the filter properly by screwing it fully onto the lens.
  • The NiSi Solar Filter is not suitable eye protection for extended view of sun or solar eclipses. Do not look directly or indirectly into the sun without appropriate eye protection. The Solar Filter should be installed in front of the camera lens or telescope before trying to align it with the sun. Point the camera away from the sun when attaching and removing the solar filter.
  • Do not use an optical viewfinder when aligning your camera or telescope with the sun. It is recommended to use the live view feature of the camera for aligning it with the sun and for viewing.
  • Do not leave a camera unattended where a child or inexperienced adult could point it at the sun without the filter adequately attached.
  • The filter may absorb solar energy and get hot during use. Use extra care when removing it.

https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-ND100000-Optical-Lightweight-Transport/dp/B0C4BYXBGZ/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.HtkYMfB0ZcCTA2LLKodj91MA_JajzmSQ8NgrwKpcgOKcDyrfAJP92pqPSGqf0b6Ol8GRHDQ7rtW-_qXKb1cDo5Dt4Q4IDhX9Qmu4MjOmE0Wnr12iTJB0zvRDFtkHBeFz3z40Kgu2QX2GnqlrLADhqT0QBo7Qss3IB2jCOsJC1IocL0TWwMstwq0X6GkFtVB6aKvSlJ_pyhGAgChNFWt8wzT35GmsCwuvfLiw71Jz3aw.B8UkcqBatf90_Di4XithmiLi-_DZFjQNE1KdiHt5j6w&dib_tag=se&keywords=nisi%2Bfilters&qid=1711556322&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-ND100000-Optical-Lightweight-Transport/dp/B0C4BYXBGZ/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.HtkYMfB0ZcCTA2LLKodj91MA_JajzmSQ8NgrwKpcgOKcDyrfAJP92pqPSGqf0b6Ol8GRHDQ7rtW-_qXKb1cDo5Dt4Q4IDhX9Qmu4MjOmE0Wnr12iTJB0zvRDFtkHBeFz3z40Kgu2QX2GnqlrLADhqT0QBo7Qss3IB2jCOsJC1IocL0TWwMstwq0X6GkFtVB6aKvSlJ_pyhGAgChNFWt8wzT35GmsCwuvfLiw71Jz3aw.B8UkcqBatf90_Di4XithmiLi-_DZFjQNE1KdiHt5j6w&dib_tag=se&keywords=nisi%2Bfilters&qid=1711556322&sr=8-5&th=1

About this item

• SIZING: Designed with a standard filter thread. Confirm your lens size by locating the "ø" symbol.
  • NEUTRAL DENSITY: The 5.0 density reduces the amount of light entering the camera by 16.6 stops.
  • COLOR-NEUTRAL: Distortion protection from both ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) light spectrum.
  • NANO COATING: Reduces unwanted reflections, waterproof, dust-proof, and scratch-resistant.
  • HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS: Premium camera lens optical glass housed in a slim, knurled aluminum frame.

https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-ND5-0-Bundle-Low-Profile-Photography/dp/B0CTD75T9L

Brand NiSi Material Optical Glass Photo Filter Thread Size 82 Millimeters Coating Description Nano Coating Photo Filter Effect Type Neutral Density Water Resistance Level Waterproof Product Dimensions 3.23"L x 3.23"W Photo Filter Size 82 Millimeters
About this item

• With a 16.6-stop light reduction, this filter is perfect for capturing stunning details without overexposing your images
  • The filter is designed to cut UV and IR light, ensuring the most color-neutral result when shooting in bright conditions
  • The Nano coating helps to reduce reflections and glare, improving the overall quality of your images
  • Allow the ND100000 filter to attach to lenses with a filter thread of 77mm (using the Step Up Ring) or directly to an 82mm filter thread.
  • Ultra-thin aluminum step-up ring allows for use on 77mm lenses and keeps the filter close to your lens to avoid vignetting.

So I take it these eclipses occur in 30 year cycles?

This is my first solar eclipse memory -- from May 10, 1994.

Does this eclipse path look familiar to anyone?

It was supposed to be raining and overcast all day but it stopped raining early and it stayed overcast, but because of the movement of the clouds, the clouds thinned out a little from time to time and it happened just in time for peak eclipse!

Does this eclipse path for May 10, 1994 look familiar to you? And just like I remembered it, it reached peak eclipse here just after 1 PM (1:35 PM to be exact.) Looks like that one was 89% here just like this one will be (with that one you had to travel north to Albany to see annularity and for this one it's Syracuse to see totality.) Is there a 30 year cycle for eclipses?

It's amazing how wide a range this annular had, from Mexico to Texas to New York all the way across the Atlantic to Morocco and to Algeria!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/1994-may-10

this was back in May 1994 and here in New York the sun was about 90% covered and I was able to look at it through 10x50 binoculars without hurting my eyes because the cloud cover was rather dense at 1:30 in the afternoon and the sun was just barely visible through them as a small ring around a dark moon. I'll never forget that experience! I believe that was an annular eclipse but the annularity happened north of here.

If any of you remember the May 10, 1994 eclipse (my first solar eclipse experience ever) this is basically a carbon copy of that one, the only difference is that one was annular and this one is total.

We were cloudy during that one too, but the clouds thinned out from time to time (the good thing about there being clouds was there was no need for eclipse glasses!)

My memories of that eclipse:

It was supposed to be raining and overcast all day but it stopped raining early and it stayed overcast, but because of the movement of the clouds, the clouds thinned out a little from time to time and it happened just in time for peak eclipse!

Does this eclipse path for May 10, 1994 look familiar to you? And just like I remembered it, it reached peak eclipse here just after 1 PM (1:35 PM to be exact.) Looks like that one was 89% here just like this one will be (with that one you had to travel north to Albany to see annularity and for this one it's Syracuse for totality.) Is there a 30 year cycle for eclipses?

It's amazing how wide a range this annular had, from Mexico to Texas to New York all the way across the Atlantic to Morocco and to Algeria!

This was back in May 1994 and here in New York the sun was about 90% covered and I was able to look at it through 10x50 binoculars without hurting my eyes because the cloud cover was rather dense at 1:30 in the afternoon and the sun was just barely visible through them as a small ring around a dark moon. I'll never forget that experience! I believe that was an annular eclipse but the annularity happened north of here.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/?m=cmceens&p=cloudcover_tle_4-mean&r=us_state_ny

I posted the Canadian ensemble for cloud cover because Pivotal says it's the best model we have for cloud cover.

I just find it hard to believe we could only have 5-10 percent of cloud cover in early April.

The Canadian ensemble (CMCE) runs twice daily, with new maps typically available by 4:00 AM and PM EDT (1:00 PDT). Its forecasts for cloud cover are the most nuanced and realistic available on this page.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/?m=cmceens&p=cloudcover_tle_4-mean&r=us_state_ny

I posted the Canadian ensemble for cloud cover because Pivotal says it's the best model we have for cloud cover.

I just find it hard to believe we could only have 5-10 percent of cloud cover in early April.

The Canadian ensemble (CMCE) runs twice daily, with new maps typically available by 4:00 AM and PM EDT (1:00 PDT). Its forecasts for cloud cover are the most nuanced and realistic available on this page.

hoping we thread the needle between the pulling out closed low and the system over the upper midwest.  This could be really really good. 

• Thanks 1

If New York is truly going to be as clear as what I just saw in the forecasts (unlikely, it's still 10 days out), then this will be where a lot of people will be coming.

The forecast I just saw for Syracuse (the closest big town to New York City for totality) is 0% high clouds, 0% midlevel clouds and 1% low clouds at 2 PM, about an hour and a half before totality.

https://spotwx.com/products/grib_index.php?model=gfs_pgrb2_0p25_f&lat=43.04795&lon=-76.14745&tz=America/New_York&label=Syracuse, New York

On 3/26/2024 at 11:21 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Syracuse is Central New York, almost the geographical center of NY. I actually laugh when people refer to Orange County where I live as upstate NY. If so what do we call the 300 miles of NY state north of where I live?

If New York is truly going to be as clear as what I just saw in the forecasts (unlikely, it's still 10 days out), then this will be where a lot of people will be coming.

The forecast I just saw for Syracuse (the closest big town to New York City for totality) is 0% high clouds, 0% midlevel clouds and 1% low clouds at 2 PM, about an hour and a half before totality.

https://spotwx.com/products/grib_index.php?model=gfs_pgrb2_0p25_f&lat=43.04795&lon=-76.14745&tz=America/New_York&label=Syracuse, New York

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:43 AM, LibertyBell said:

So I take it these eclipses occur in 30 year cycles?

This is my first solar eclipse memory -- from May 10, 1994.

Does this eclipse path look familiar to anyone?

Does this eclipse path for May 10, 1994 look familiar to you? And just like I remembered it, it reached peak eclipse here just after 1 PM (1:35 PM to be exact.) Looks like that one was 89% here just like this one will be (with that one you had to travel north to Albany to see annularity and for this one it's Syracuse to see totality.) Is there a 30 year cycle for eclipses?

2017 there was one.  2044 there will be one.  

1 minute ago, FPizz said:

2017 there was one.  2044 there will be one.  

No, it's not about there being eclipses in those years, it's about the similarity in the path between 1994 and 2024.

Both are going from Texas to Upstate NY, the percentage of the sun covered is even the same in NYC (89%)

There are most definitely eclipse cycles-- they are called Saros Cycles.

55 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No, it's not about there being eclipses in those years, it's about the similarity in the path between 1994 and 2024.

Both are going from Texas to Upstate NY, the percentage of the sun covered is even the same in NYC (89%)

There are most definitely eclipse cycles-- they are called Saros Cycles.

Oh sorry, misunderstood 

• Like 1

This is the last Total Eclipse within 4-5 hours of NJ that i will be alive for, so definitely making a trip north to see this.  I don't think i will try any telephoto shots, rather focus on some wider angle landscapes, maybe a quick timelapse.  

Biggest issue is finding a location day of the checks the boxes for a good photos.  Google Earth can only do so much.

• Like 4