• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2024 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

The only quake I've felt was when we lived in Fort Kent.  Epicenter was in New Brunswick, a couple dozen miles north from Fredericton, and had a 5.7 magnitude.  5+ effects were noted as far west as Allagash and to the southwest, Belfast.  It was a sleep-in Saturday but at 7:41 we were rudely awakened.  At 4:41 the following Monday there was a 5.4 aftershock.  I was driving home from work and the bumpy roads prevented my noting it, but my wife had pots and pans rattling in our kitchen.  We read of several fire depts being called for possible chimney fires on the 9th, as the quake's rumbling sounded something like well-established fire within the flue. 

We saw some cracks in our foundation ("daylight basement" with only the uphill section had full height concrete) but we weren't aware of the consequences until mid-April 1983.  We were traveling out of state and had house-sitters, relatives of our off-grid friends, staying at our place.  There was a 3.5" deluge plus snowmelt, and they ended up bailing water out the basement's back door.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Wife has been in Baltics last 1.5wks on vacation with girlfriend. She sent me some pics today from Auschwitz and Birkenau. Pretty sobering just looking at pics.7bfc108916c11d4afd2314737bdbc10a.jpg3f7bcf5e10004e8c3ed0ba3357ec39b0.jpga1db2fbe52ebfaa6701da3a1d4aec80f.jpge251364365e25730da1537dd8d5ebf39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

So very sad, and to think about it , wasn't too long ago.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2024 at 6:37 PM, Lava Rock said:

Wife has been in Baltics last 1.5wks on vacation with girlfriend. She sent me some pics today from Auschwitz and Birkenau. Pretty sobering just looking at pics.7bfc108916c11d4afd2314737bdbc10a.jpg3f7bcf5e10004e8c3ed0ba3357ec39b0.jpga1db2fbe52ebfaa6701da3a1d4aec80f.jpge251364365e25730da1537dd8d5ebf39.jpg

My Dad helped liberate Dachau, he ha had PTSD nightmares his entire life. 

• Sad 5

On 4/1/2024 at 7:27 PM, BrianW said:

Property taxes in VT are outrageous compared to upstate NY. There are going to be huge increases next year in VT property taxes.  Have you looked at the property taxes in Manchester and Dover compared to the Albany area?

A new estimate puts the projected average property tax bill increase next year at more than 20%. 

https://vtdigger.org/2024/01/30/as-new-data-shows-property-taxes-could-rise-even-higher-than-expected-legislators-mull-their-options/#:~:text=A new estimate puts the,local property tax rate increases.

I refuse to believe this. The property taxes on our place in the Adirondacks is jaw dropping. 

On 4/8/2024 at 5:57 PM, Lava Rock said:

Saw these tracks across the lawn. I assume moose?20240408_152415.jpg

Moose tracks would be closer to round.  That almost looks like a big male fisher's tracks.  Most of the mustelids have that one-foot-forward tracks like the pic appears, but I don't know the exact scale.

Moose tracks would be closer to round.  That almost looks like a big male fisher's tracks.  Most of the mustelids have that one-foot-forward tracks like the pic appears, but I don't know the exact scale.
Thanks. I should have taken a close up.

On 4/8/2024 at 5:57 PM, Lava Rock said:

Saw these tracks across the lawn. I assume moose?20240408_152415.jpg

Moose would’ve knocked that post over if it walked past it that close.

Definitely not moose by the snow in the middle of the print.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

I had a gray squirrel with a red tail under my feeder today. Mixed breeding?

Ugh, the last thing we need are gray squirrels with the attitude problem of the red squirrels.  The last few times I tried to scare off a red squirrel, the damn thing got all jumpy and spastic and started coming towards me.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Ugh, the last thing we need are gray squirrels with the attitude problem of the red squirrels.  The last few times I tried to scare off a red squirrel, the damn thing got all jumpy and spastic and started coming towards me.

Red squirrels are nasty. There seems to be more and more of them.

• Like 1

got a off weather topic for all you who partake in the edibles etc...my wife's source is no longer carrying her favorite space bar chocolate edible, can anyone point my to where I might be able to find them, she's got a legit gluten allergy so those were the only ones she was able to eat without issues. Appreciate any info. thanks

18 hours ago, tavwtby said:

got a off weather topic for all you who partake in the edibles etc...my wife's source is no longer carrying her favorite space bar chocolate edible, can anyone point my to where I might be able to find them, she's got a legit gluten allergy so those were the only ones she was able to eat without issues. Appreciate any info. thanks

Have some recommendations for Maine, but not where you're at.  Best bet (aside from a recommendation here) is to download the Weedmaps app, and look at the dispensaries in your area - they'll have their menus so you can look for GF options.

• Thanks 1