• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

Actually to be fair and honest, I noticed looking out the kitchen window when waiting on the tea kettle this morning that the lawn suddenly has green patches that were not there last week.  I don't qualify it as "growing" just yet, but the uniform beige is now more a patchwork of vaguely greener and dormancy. 

I don't think that is early in and of itself.   My recollection is that grass will tinge green at lesser environmental excuse - few mild days in February passing out the solar nadir into Ray's favorite - warm bum car seat season - and that patchwork look will flash over fields.  That seems more like where we are at here in the Nashoba Valley.  Which is interesting ...because what part of an icing event just last week flicked the turn green trigger ? 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Thankfully the NAM busted. Looks like the back edge of the heaviest is pushing through W NH now. Only 0.71” so far with maybe another quarter inch or so to go. 

The NAM is on one of its bad runs the last 10 days.

oH man ... I hope that 00z GFS is right about the 7th - 10th ...  madly deserved.   552 + dm hydrostats everywhere S of 50 N for three days of sun working on the landscape.  The funny thing is, the 6th has the last of the -NAO driven coastal system still whirling in 38 F cat paws, and two days later it may be in the upper 60s or even 70 given that synopsis. 

Plus it has the upshot of less impeded eclipse viewing.   

It'd be nice but can't be confident about that unfortunately at this range.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Actually to be fair and honest, I noticed looking out the kitchen window when waiting on the tea kettle this morning that the lawn suddenly has green patches that were not there last week.  I don't qualify it as "growing" just yet, but the uniform beige is now more a patchwork of vaguely greener and dormancy. 

I don't think that is early in and of itself.   My recollection is that grass will tinge green at lesser environmental excuse - few mild days in February passing out the solar nadir into Ray's favorite - warm bum car seat season - and that patchwork look will flash over fields.  That seems more like where we are at here in the Nashoba Valley.  Which is interesting ...because what part of an icing event just last week flicked the turn green trigger ? 

I have more green grass than brown, part of my yard gets a lot of sun.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s crazy how far along the lawn is. Greening up and actually growing in sunny areas. Way ahead of what is normal. I was on the Cape yesterday in Barnstable and some lawns needed to be mowed 

Glad we don’t live there. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Chicken coop run pouring into Winni River?

I think we’re actually good this go around. There’s a lot of standing water, but I have it diverted enough from the run to keep it from coming in. We were riding the line when I left this morning, but the bulk staying east helped. Maybe the vegetation is starting to take some water in too. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think it's interesting that we've had about 9 consecutive months of above normal precipitation - I think? - on a regional scale, yet we never seem to really push the flood threat over the top.  We're getting the Headlines out of the official offices but it seems by and large we're in a kind of "hydrostatic balance" (sloppy usage) where the outflow and inflow into the geography are in equilibrium; above climo, but below flood gauges.  

Playin' with fire?   It's like sustaining a primed wick and never getting a match event

April 2023 thru March 2024 is currently (thru 7 AM) at 63.52".  2005 had 66.67", hopefully out of reach, but #2, 63.73" will be left in the mud (no dust here).  However, Feb 24 failed to get the message - its 0.95" is the driest.

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

April 2023 thru March 2024 is currently (thru 7 AM) at 63.52".  2005 had 66.67", hopefully out of reach, but #2, 63.73" will be left in the mud (no dust here).  However, Feb 24 failed to get the message - its 0.95" is the driest.

Down here not too far from your old stomping grounds in NW NJ, 70.09" from April 2023 to right now.

• Like 2