Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

I guess I can speak to this, summers weren’t too bad as long as you got afternoon storms to cool things down; dry summers were tough going from May to October with 90+ and dews above 70; but like anything you adjust. I miss the ocean, non rocky beaches and not having to pay $20+ to park to go to them.

Geez I remember you couldn't wait to get out of there.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure how many times you want me to say I was wrong.....sucked, suck, stink, stank, stunk. The issue with you is that your thought porcess is so reductive that you can't see the forest through the trees. The reason why I feel the next few years will suck is the same reason my past 2 outlooks have sucked...it’s because of what is going on in the west PAC. I do think it will eventually change, but not a for a few years.

Well first of all, I didn’t say your outlook sucked. I said that most everyone(pro or hobbyist) couldn’t figure it out as the last two seasons were upon us.  I’m not blaming you, or anybody that put out an outlook, I’m saying that it’s very difficult to see what may or may not hurt or help an area in November of the upcoming forecasted season, let alone a few years ahead. And that’s a fact.  Things change, and nuances occur that cant be seen at a few weeks lead, let alone a few years.  So there in is my point.  

The weather embarrasses us all when we try to talk in certainties…even at short length.  When we’re saying things like the next few seasons will be lousy…that’s just nonsense imo.  Because what’s happening in the pacific, can change over time. 

It’s all good.  We all have our own ideas about things.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Well first of all, I didn’t say your outlook sucked. I said that most everyone(pro or hobbyist) couldn’t figure it out as the last two seasons were upon us.  I’m not blaming you, or anybody that put out an outlook, I’m saying that it’s very difficult to see what may or may not hurt or help an area in November of the upcoming forecasted season, let alone a few years ahead. And that’s a fact.  Things change, and nuances occur that cant be seen at a few weeks lead, let alone a few years.  So there in is my point.  

The weather embarrasses us all when we try to talk in certainties…even at short length.  When we’re saying things like the next few seasons will be lousy…that’s just nonsense imo.  Because what’s happening in the pacific, can change over time. 

It’s all good.  We all have our own ideas about things.  

It did suck. lol

The thing is that it isn't diffiuclt to see what has been hurting us....regardless of what the polar domain has done, the last several winters have sucked. Its because of the west PAC warmth stagnating the forcing in the MC, regardless of ENSO. If that changes, then sure...time to reconsider. But if that does not change and we have a robust Modoki La Nina upon us, then its not as ambiguous as you imply.

Your use of the term "nonsense" is what is nonsensical, since there is pretty iron clad science behind how the impact that MC forcing has on our region and the relationship between the polar domain and the descending phase of the solar cycle, which is where we are headed. The Pacific may change, but the solar cycle will not.

29 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s my problem with it and why I fell out of love. Grew up skiing with my dad and brother but that was when you could buy 3 lift tickets for the price of lunch nowadays. We’d have to spend hundreds of dollars for just one ski day today for the 4 of us. Can’t do it.

I would look at it in terms of $ per hour. Compared to something like a pro sports game or a concert featuring a big name, it is cheaper.  Proably more similar to a day at a large theme park.

Figure $100 per person for an 8 hour ski day. I have no idea what rentals are nowadays.    

For your area, you probably have a lot of driving so that is an issue.

So pricey, yes.  But comperable to a lot of other things people do.

I'm lucky that I have a decent hill near me, plus I run a school group and also have a group discount club I run. So I get to ski free most years.

I just need snow

31 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s my problem with it and why I fell out of love. Grew up skiing with my dad and brother but that was when you could buy 3 lift tickets for the price of lunch nowadays. We’d have to spend hundreds of dollars for just one ski day today for the 4 of us. Can’t do it.

Why not just buy a pass for those who want to enjoy it. People buy gym memberships and pay ridiculous amounts of money, you can buy an ikon pass at their discount rate and you get a renewal discount every year and generally can get it for under $1000 a year. I ski 20 to 30 days a year cost me maybe $30-$40 per day of skiing. 

i’m not trying to poo, poo it for the average middle-class family on a budget, but the idea that skiing is too expensive of a recreational sport I just don’t buy. You can generally get equipment for almost nothing or even for free. People give it away all the time on Facebook marketplace or you can go to local ski swaps and buy pretty decent equipment, plenty  good enough to enjoy the sport for nearly nothing. And you can look for discounts on lift tickets, season passes, or some of the Indy type passes that give you plenty of mountains and it’s a very reasonable cost for the whole season. And mind this is coming from somebody who has four kids and we ski a lot. Most ski rental shops will rent you a decent pair of equipment for the season for pretty cheap and they come along with deep discounts on Lyft tickets, or even a free ticket here or there to many local mountains.

• Like 1

For years my son had a snowboard that was basically free.  We bought him a used one for around $50 when he was young.  Sold it at the ski swap for more money a couple of years later and used that for a larger boards, etc. He finally got a new board when we won one at the Boston ski and sports expo a few years back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

He's almost 80 and has had multiple slip and falls on ice. Don't blame him but f Florida.  It's an overcrowded hot as hades pit.

The east coast of Florida is a congested high stress area.   We’ve been on the west coast and it’s much more livable.  But yeah summer is rough.  Besides, New England summers are our crown jewel.  I no longer ski and really don’t want to be relegated to an indoor life for months at a time.  Boston is also the center of people who think they shit ice cream.  It’s tiresome.   I am surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed being down here this time.  It happens to many of us.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would look at it in terms of $ per hour. Compared to something like a pro sports game or a concert featuring a big name, it is cheaper.  Proably more similar to a day at a large theme park.

Figure $100 per person for an 8 hour ski day. I have no idea what rentals are nowadays.    

I'm lucky that I have a decent hill near me, plus I run a school group and also have a group discount club I run. So I get to ski free most years.

I just need snow

He can come to my town(25 minutes away)…we have a nice little mountain ski area here in Southington.  It’s not Vermont obviously…but it’s a good little place with lots of lifts and a good race school/team too. But ya, it can get pricey. But our ski area offers lots of different packages for all different budgets now a days. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I just need snow

Wawa adding a high speed 6pack is cool

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The east coast of Florida is a congested high stress area.   We’ve been on the west coast and it’s much more livable.  But yeah summer is rough.  Besides, New England summers are our crown jewel.  I no longer ski and really don’t want to be relegated to an indoor life for months at a time.  Boston is also the center of people who think they shit ice cream.  It’s tiresome.   I am surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed being down here this time.  It happens to many of us.

Awesome dude.  What part of the west coast? Last time I was in the Tampa Port Richey area and it's wall to wall peeps.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Tomorrow looks interesting with some convective snow squalls and showers with graupel. I could see a quick 2'' in the Berks and southern Greens. 

Mitch had 4.5 last night. Excellent pattern for upslope

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Families don't have real lifes/ don't plan their vacations around skiing? Record skiers every year. If you are into it as a family it's the best . Not everyone is and I understand and I certainly can't go get it anymore but damn straight my family was with me for decades in March and sometimes April.  Some families are warm season some cold mine both. The very best part of New England is the 4 seasons. You can have constant summer if that's your gig. Some love it not for me. 

Kids age 8, 10, 12.  Both wife and I with regular full time jobs 50-60 hours a week, 2nd business....50 days on the hill a year.  Trust me; the ski industry is doing fine right now. 

Also, still dumping snow..For a shit warm winter, it's pretty f'n good out there right now.  I'll bet we clear two feet by the time this cycle is over late week. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, bwt3650 said:

Kids age 8, 10, 12.  Both wife and I with regular full time jobs 50-60 hours a week, 2nd business....50 days on the hill a year.  Trust me; the ski industry is doing fine right now. 

Also, still dumping snow..For a shit warm winter, it's pretty f'n good out there right now.  I'll bet we clear two feet by the time this cycle is over late week. 

Go go go

48 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Why not just buy a pass for those who want to enjoy it. People buy gym memberships and pay ridiculous amounts of money, you can buy an ikon pass at their discount rate and you get a renewal discount every year and generally can get it for under $1000 a year. I ski 20 to 30 days a year cost me maybe $30-$40 per day of skiing. 

i’m not trying to poo, poo it for the average middle-class family on a budget, but the idea that skiing is too expensive of a recreational sport I just don’t buy. You can generally get equipment for almost nothing or even for free. People give it away all the time on Facebook marketplace or you can go to local ski swaps and buy pretty decent equipment, plenty  good enough to enjoy the sport for nearly nothing. And you can look for discounts on lift tickets, season passes, or some of the Indy type passes that give you plenty of mountains and it’s a very reasonable cost for the whole season. And mind this is coming from somebody who has four kids and we ski a lot. Most ski rental shops will rent you a decent pair of equipment for the season for pretty cheap and they come along with deep discounts on Lyft tickets, or even a free ticket here or there to many local mountains.

100 percent agree...It's expensive for the family that goes once a year on MLK day or Christmas week who rents skis, pays for a lesson, buys a window ticket, eats breakfast and lunch in the lodge, rents a locker, pays for parking etc.  It always will be.  For the regular skier who knows how plan, and skis more than 4 times a year, it's one of the few activities that is cheaper than it was 15 years ago.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a AN summer. Especially July and August.

Yes, but barely.  JJA average here is 63.29 and 2023 was 63.37, so +0.08.  (And 0.01° below the median :D)

Turning into an above average March Snows up north. Go get it if you can. Constant refills

NW NNE.  CAR has had just over 40% of normal snow, month to date, only 20% here and I don't know if PWM has had any.  Longitude is topping latitude so far.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Awesome dude.  What part of the west coast? Last time I was in the Tampa Port Richey area and it's wall to wall peeps.

There are places on the west coast that aren't over run yet but their getting fewer and farther between.  I've always been partial to the Panhandle beaches but everything there from Apalachicola west is booming.  It has changed so much in recent years.