Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Larry Cosgrove has finally given up in his new blog. He was going for a big cold/snowy winter in the east. Said he thinks it’s over

https://clearskyweather.com/2024/02/23/the-weather-pattern-is-looking-distinctly-springlike-except-if-you-live-in-the-west-or-in-canada/

Ya think!  Some real diehards this season.  Some are STILL hanging on for dear life thinking their forecasts will be vindicated with a cold and snowy March. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Larry Cosgrove has finally given up in his new blog. He was going for a big cold/snowy winter in the east. Said he thinks it’s over

https://clearskyweather.com/2024/02/23/the-weather-pattern-is-looking-distinctly-springlike-except-if-you-live-in-the-west-or-in-canada/

A few were going  big cold and snow but that failed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MANDA said:

Ya think!  Some real diehards this season.  Some are STILL hanging on for dear life thinking their forecasts will be vindicated with a cold and snowy March. 

Maybe they'll start to catch on and stop assuming every winter has to be a snowy one. The year they finally go below we'll get blasted

I’m sure no one is going to believe this, but the new EPS and GEFS folded on the “better” PAC and Atlantic in the long range. The GEPS never really bought into it and the weeklies kicked the can down the road to late March for the fantasy “good” look the other day. The SSW is falling by the way side too. This one is destined to be a ratter right to the bitter end….

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

From what I remember he predicted a backloaded winter 

59 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I’m sure no one is going to believe this, but the new EPS and GEFS folded on the “better” PAC and Atlantic in the long range. The GEPS never really bought into it and the weeklies kicked the can down the road to late March for the fantasy “good” look the other day. The SSW is falling by the way side too. This one is destined to be a ratter right to the bitter end….

It's probably not too surprising. The weeklies have little or no skill beyond two weeks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Gonna stop at an organic stuff nursery on Monday and grab some soil. Time to start making food :tomato:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I'm guessing degree days, or the amount of home heating oil and the like, for March will be below normal.  Money in the pocket.

warm.png

I dont think it works that way.  I notice the companies adjust their costs so if the winter is warmer they charge more per unit to make up the difference.

I don’t think people realize how bad fire season will be in Canada this year with the lack of snow cover and very little precipitation. I know some love the warmth but you won’t when we start to face crop shortages etc. This is actually a very alarming trajectory we are on. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The ensembles are a full on torch now for March

Gfs brings the colder pattern back which is possible given the NAO and PNA along with the MJO.

Ensembles are useless given that they showed a big change to colder weather at this point which never verified. 

5 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Even JB threw in the towel :D

So now we can expect at least a few more opportunities for frozen precip here March and April........looking at the 0Z GFS - it is possible IMO

gfs_asnow_us_62.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs brings the colder pattern back which is possible given the NAO and PNA along with the MJO.

Ensembles are useless given that they showed a big change to colder weather at this point which never verified. 

Op GFS lol It’s over dude. JB just called it quits. It’s warm as far as the eye can see

• Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

lol - no real warm weather is in site yet............

Right, it’s not going to get warm ROTFLMFAOOO. March looks arctic cold and snowy. And the 300+ hour op GFS?! Lol!

Let it go. It’s over Johnny. The fat lady has sung, stick a fork in it, say goodnight and goodbye. Done. Bring down the curtain. Adios. A former winter. It’s dead Jim. In the cemetery. RIP Winter 23-24

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 5

4 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

I don’t think people realize how bad fire season will be in Canada this year with the lack of snow cover and very little precipitation. I know some love the warmth but you won’t when we start to face crop shortages etc. This is actually a very alarming trajectory we are on. 

I think at some point people will start removing these trees that cause the fires, I've already seen talk of it on various forums "the only way to prevent the fires is to remove the fuel which causes them"

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I think at some point people will start removing these trees that cause the fires, I've already seen talk of it on various forums "the only way to prevent the fires is to remove the fuel which causes them"

Which is impossible over thousands of miles of boreal forests in northern Canada. Just like the fires last summer couldn’t be put out. There is zero infrastructure, no roads, thousands of lakes and bogs not to mention mosquitoes swarms that block out the sun. 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Which is impossible over thousands of miles of boreal forests in northern Canada. Just like the fires last summer couldn’t be put out. There is zero infrastructure, no roads, thousands of lakes and bogs not to mention mosquitoes swarms that block out the sun. 

We're in for some bad times if what happened last June repeats itself.

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

We're in for some bad times if what happened last June repeats itself.

if we experience mainly south - southwest flow and primarily winds from that direction at various levels of the atmosphere  or an onshore flow the same smoky sky conditions if the fires develop  in Canada will not reach our area as much as last years flow allowed it too......

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I dont think it works that way.  I notice the companies adjust their costs so if the winter is warmer they charge more per unit to make up the difference.

Yeah, they are guaranteed to cover their base costs...

• Thanks 1

what we've learned so far this winter: 

we can't look at longe range models and really BELIEVE that we are in for something good

lets be honest with ourselves, this winter trumped 22-23, and thats saying something. up here in wp it snowed 5? times. It was distinctly beautiful each and every time. collectively, we should put this winter in the rearview and look forward to spring. time to rejuvenate and get outdoors, we'll all be here doing the same ol' thing again this upcoming november. 

@snowman19 im with you on this one. stick a fork in it, this winter is done. 

my next concern is the pac needs to chill so california gets some dry and above normal temps for april, got a week long skate trip out there, and after trudging through this winter, my seasonal depression needs to see the sun out there

• Like 1