Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs

40/70 Benchmark

40 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Are these twitter people real or just cosplaying as Meteorologists. Place is proliferated with people trying to dupe you into believing they know what they are talking about. Shit social.  

He's a meteorologist 

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

12 pages with less than 3 days 'till go time doesn't seem excessive.  Thurs-Fri may be a small oasis, may be a mirage, but everything else is dry sand so folks post.

Sadly, the only rep for the eastern half of Maine is Vim Toot.  Only one for the north half, too, though The Mainer is close.

It's the content of the 12 pages ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I took a photo of Okemo across the Connecticut River valley from a hill on Lake Sunapee today and you can actually see the lack of snow coverage down in the valley. The most obvious bare spot in this photo is right outside the Claremont "downtown" area.

Bare Connecticut River Valley.jpg

wow wow wow, looks worse than most Marches and even April some years. Good picture 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

A ratter of this magnitude rarely changes this late in the game.

I always thought back to the 1996-1997 as being an odd year.  I really don't remember much happening between the twins of Dec 1996, then the "April Fool's Day Blizzard" later that spring.

Those two positive buster storms, happening in the same 36 hour window ... remove those and that winter ( based upon my experience) would have come down to the March 31/Apr 1st event.

That was a disappointing season after that Dec put so much higher expectation in play.   I was also a bit more naive then ... But I distinctly remember wondering with higher hopes, only to go some 75 days before a worth-while event happened again.

But yeah ... one cannot "save a ratter" with a single storm, particularly if the ratting is very egregious.   It's too much of a slope to climb.  There's also a bit of personal druthers ( maybe ...) clouding my opinion here, in that if we've come this far and I sense the sun's return ...knowing that calendar and all that, the futility awareness turns me off to it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I always thought back to the 1996-1997 as being an odd year.  I really don't remember much happening between the twins of Dec 1996, then the "April Fool's Day Blizzard" later that spring.

Those two positive buster storms, happening in the same 36 hour window ... remove those and that winter ( based upon my experience) would have come down to the March 31/Apr 1st event.

That was a disappointing season after that Dec put so much higher expectation in play.   I was also a bit more naive then ... But I distinctly remember wondering with higher hopes, only to go some 75 days before a worth-while event happened again.

But yeah ... one cannot "save a ratter" with a single storm, particularly if the ratting is very egregious.   It's too much of a slope to climb.  There's also a bit of personal druthers ( maybe ...) clouding my opinion here, in that if we've come this far and I sense the sun's return ...knowing that calendar and all that, the futility awareness turns me off to it.

And don’t forget the surprise snow in January 1997 and the multiple March events leading up to the April Fools blizzard.  But February 1997 was about as torchy as ot can get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And don’t forget the surprise snow in January 1997 and the multiple March events leading up to the April Fools blizzard.  But February 1997 was about as torchy as ot can get.

Yeah, again ... I just don't recall that activity - like me grandma always used to say, if you forgot what you wanted to say, it probably wasn't that important.   Something similar applies to memory generation?  ... those were probably forgettable. I was living on campus at UML; there may have been regional lucky little hit zones ... elsewhere or whatever. 

To me, that winter was the Dec twins, and the April 1st events - with a rat between. 

96-97 was not good until the big boy hit on 3/31. The "best" event was the surprise storm Jerry mentioned. Was supposed to be this innocuous little thing going south of us. It basically was one of those WSW-ENE deffy bands that dropped 10" of fluff just south of BOS. I think BOS had like 6". 

But I recall many of the events were 2-3" slop events that turned to rain. We did ok on the first Dec snow event, but porked in the second one. The famous Cantore TSSN one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

96-97 was not good until the big boy hit on 3/31. The "best" event was the surprise storm Jerry mentioned. Was supposed to be this innocuous little thing going south of us. It basically was one of those WSW-ENE deffy bands that dropped 10" of fluff just south of BOS. I think BOS had like 6". 

But I recall many of the events were 2-3" slop events that turned to rain. We did ok on the first Dec snow event, but porked in the second one. The famous Cantore TSSN one.

I remember being astonished that we wound up with normal seasonal snowfall that year when I lived in Bristol CT. I do remember a six inch storm in January and it was a quick hitter at night. But I also remember that winter torching something fierce.

• dendrite changed the title to Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs
  • dendrite pinned this topic
  • dendrite unpinned this topic