Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GFS is warm, west of us, then when it gets north, slightly inland.    It doesnt have that ocean storm in the way...which we kinda need

Not sure how models are so different on huge ocean storms lol

Like where did the gfs put it?148de1e498a8fd2c31c10c2ba2cd01bf.jpg

Just now, Ji said:

Gfs does not drop the ns into the ss. No cold despite decent track

I think the Euro evolution is our best shot to get our big (or larger) ticket storm but it is going to be a delicate solution to achieve. We really need that NS to drop down and begin the phase at the exact right moment for this to work and even if it does, the interior is favored in this kind of setup. Good news is we did see the SS dip deeper and a less noisy Eastern Canada allowing more cold air to filter in but Euro much more aggressive with that TPV lobe. 

Even with a +NAO in place, with all that energy rotating around in Canada, we could see a phased storm time itself correctly as long as we can get the STJ to actually produce a potent wave or two instead of that sheared flat shit it keeps throwing our way. 

• Like 3

IMG_1584.png.adf4fedc328e7bdb0a4ed02e549aef82.png

this is part of the problem. I agree the mjo gets too much attention. It’s not THE end all some act like. But it is a significant part of the equation. And in a strong Nino it should look opposite what this chart shows. This looks just like the mjo plots from the last 7 years.

Unfortunately the strong Nino wasn’t able to significantly alter the recent pacific base state.   The warm pool near the MC continued to plague us. One issue is that water is so fooking warm even in a Nino there’s going to be convection there messing with the pattern drivers. And the water there is frankly going to be warmer than the enso regions. Maybe not the anomalies but the raw temps. 

Obviously this doesn’t mean we can’t get snow or decent patterns. But it’s hard to get sustained cold and great patterns with the mjo waves circling the MC hostile regions all winter.  We were supposed to be in 8/1/2 from Feb 15-March 15. Want to know what suddenly changed…the better looks on guidance collapsed when the mjo signal changed. 

• Like 5

this is part of the problem. I agree the mjo gets too much attention. It’s not THE end all some act like. But it is a significant part of the equation. And in a strong Nino it should look opposite what this chart shows. This looks just like the mjo plots from the last 7 years.

Unfortunately the strong Nino wasn’t able to significantly alter the recent pacific base state.   The warm pool near the MC continued to plague us. One issue is that water is so fooking warm even in a Nino there’s going to be convection there messing with the pattern drivers. And the water there is frankly going to be warmer than the enso regions. Maybe not the anomalies but the raw temps. 

Obviously this doesn’t mean we can’t get snow or decent patterns. But it’s hard to get sustained cold and great patterns with the mjo waves circling the MC hostile regions all winter.  We were supposed to be in 8/1/2 from Feb 15-March 15. Want to know what suddenly changed…the better looks on guidance collapsed when the mjo signal changed. 

I read…maybe from terpeast that maybe having an insane hurricane season could be that changes everything

Even in the mint runs …never saw a plot that was solid 8 and definitely not solid 1

1 hour ago, Ji said:

I read…maybe from terpeast that maybe having an insane hurricane season could be that changes everything

I dunno. We need the PDO to flip that’s for sure because the western pac warm pool, expanded Hadley cell and PDO are all amplifying each other’s effect in an awful feedback loop for our snow prospects. Once the PDO (which is still a cyclical thing that’s the one part of this equation that I can admit is not CC related) flips we can evaluate how much of a problem those other 2 factors (which may be more permanent) are. But we’ve proven that those factors along with the -pdo are pretty much insurmountable. Our goalposts within this current paradigm are completely snowless winters to if we get super lucky and almost everything else that could goes perfectly we can fight our way to a near avg snowfall winter. But I don’t think we can get a truly epic snowy winter of the type we all honestly dream of before each year starts until this current pacific cycle ends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic