Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Weekend Rule? Saturday 2/17 - The Icon Storm

DDweatherman

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

How the fuck are yalls map so different than SV.   SV sucks

My guess is the very low resolution of the SV maps makes it especially difficult to run an accurate snow map along the rain snow line and even worse if it's a map like Kuchera which factors in ratios.  Both of those things require pretty fine details that a low resolution smoothed map would lack.  

The euro is picking up on something that is likely in this type of NS wave running between the polar and arctic boundaries.  There are likely to be two snow maximums, one just north of the polar boundary along just north of the rain snow line and a second further north along the arctic boundary.  Despite the southern max having the deeper moisture the northern one almost always ends up the actual snow max because of significantly higher ratios.  That might be muted somewhat this time by warmer than normal boundary temps even along that "arctic" boundary...but even if temps are only like 30 ratios will be pretty good with the colder temps in the DGZ which is what matters most so long as surface temps are below freezing.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The euro is picking up on something that is likely in this type of NS wave running between the polar and arctic boundaries.  There are likely to be two snow maximums, one just north of the polar boundary along just north of the rain snow line and a second further north along the arctic boundary.  Despite the southern max having the deeper moisture the northern one almost always ends up the actual snow max because of significantly higher ratios.  That might be muted somewhat this time by lower than normal boundary temps even along that "arctic" boundary...but even if temps are only like 30 ratios will be pretty good with the colder temps in the DGZ which is what matters most so long as surface temps are below freezing.  

Deja vu reading this — feels like a classic sort of event. Northern tier deathband, QPF jackpot south, DC snow hole? With maybe a MoCo-HoCo band in between it all?
  • Like 4

There actually seems to be good overall agreement on most of the guidance leading in, with maybe Ukie as a drier outlier. Hopefully we don't see any rug pulls as we get closer. given the current outlook for the rest of winter, I'm happy to get what i can get.

16 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I don't think so.  Maybe a snow advisory.

Getting a Traveler's Advisory was like when you wanted McDonalds and your parents saying "we got McDonalds at home".

And getting a hot dog on a piece of white bread, that crap use to send me into a tantrum

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I like that my total is higher on the Kuchera. 

Euro is colder also, snow falls with surface temps of 25-27 for you and me.  And the high on Saturday is 33 in Winchester and 31 here.  Might actually feel like winter for a minute or two.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, EHoffman said:

I think we were all looking for a big dog after the insane LR hype of the past month.  This seems...anti-climatic.  I'm still on board for this though.

All we saw from models over and over and over and over and over was monster high pressure up north staying put for weeks on end while storm after storm rolled under us.

Scrap the package and redevelop it from ground zero and give us something emphasizing an actual forecast and not a myriad of 60 panels of 0-10” that we are  supposed to use as “tools” . It’s  a tool all right, like Eddie  Haskell 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

SO FAR, doesn't seem to be drier than 6z...but urging caution..that's just to our west...just about to get to us and I can better tell

Randall

if we get one we feel strong about then could we do Ole Ebbits happy hour before the onset?