• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

A West-based NAO born and raised
Over Greenland was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool
And all blockin' the arctic airmass pool

When a couple of highs who were up to no good
Started suppressing waves in my neighborhood
I got one southern slider and Ji got scared
He said, "You're movin' winter back to March it's not fair"

• Like 2
  • Haha 20

1 hour ago, Wxdood said:

I would rather not debate this in this thread.  I lurk the forum to read talk about models, patterns etc.  Not discussion alluding to you-know-what causing warm temperatures in winter or our patterns.  There is an entire section of this webside devoted to you-know-what, there is a panic room thread, and a banter thread inside the Mid Atlantic Forum.  It would be nice to keep the Long Range thread for Long Range discussion.  I realize I may not have much pull in this request because of my post count.  Just saying it would be nice.

It's already been somewhat said but completely ignoring the MAJOR geographic differences between the two is bad science/forecasting/discussion. Hoffman's point holds true whether CC is happening or not. This has nothing to do with that topic. Siberia is not North America. Never was, never will be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

This isn't that bad from this range. 

gfs_conus_183_sim_radar_comp.gif

What I don't like is the loss of 50/50 low on ensembles. 

agreed....ill take that look at 8 days out and take my chances....

54 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Now on models: The NAO is moderately negative for 84 hours, and that's about it (hrs 204-288)! Compared to some recent episodes, the Polar ridging doesn't look impressive, it barely even closes off any blocks. +250dm max (-epo/-ao) in February is not that much. 

The 50/50 low has trended much weaker for PD threat. 

IMG_1429.thumb.png.4cc4a940a6fe5a0ac16792c2bf2f6611.png
This looks moderately negative to you?  Or are you basing this on the op gfs again. If so can you please preface with that so we know to ignore everything after!  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_1429.thumb.png.4cc4a940a6fe5a0ac16792c2bf2f6611.png
This looks moderately negative to you?  Or are you basing this on the op gfs again. If so can you please preface with that so we know to ignore everything after!  

a 300dm block on a 52 member ensemble is absolutely ridiculous. it's like 2-3 sigma. post made no sense

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah.. that ridge near Japan is approaching the same extent. It doesn't even close off a block. In the last year, we've seen 3 stronger -NAO events (March '23, early Dec '24, Jan '24). GEFS is a weaker signal right now though, and 6z is more recent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I was responding to comments, one of which was yours. So no. I’ve said this before but I’m not playing that game where someone brings up something then says “why are we talking about this”.  Sorry that isn’t as clever or subtle as you think and I’m not stupid. It’s insulting that you think that would work. Take that passive aggressive BS nonsense somewhere else. 

Sheesh...  Passive aggressive BS?  Little bit of an overreaction bud.  Wasn't just talking about your comment today but here is an example.  See below:

11 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Other guidance is colder, but still not as cold as it "should" be.  Perhaps  correlated to low continental snow extent?

Or something else also 

I don't know how to

What something else were you alluding to here?  Like I said it would be nice to just stick to the topic instead of alluding to this or that...  Two other threads and an entire section of the website itself to panic about "something else". 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Yeah.. that ridge near Japan is approaching the same extent. It doesn't even close off a block. In the last year, we've seen 3 stronger -NAO events (March '23, early Dec '24, Jan '24). GEFS is a weaker signal right now though, and 6z is more recent. 

Ok you’re off in loony tunes land. That’s about as perfect a block as we can get. We don’t want more blocking than that. As it is it’s squashing everything for days to begin with and we have to wait for it to relax some. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok you’re off in loony tunes land. That’s about as perfect a block as we can get. We don’t want more blocking than that. As it is it’s squashing everything for days to begin with and we have to wait for it to relax some. 

It's not even a block. 

And the tendency is for things to be warmer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 5

5 minutes ago, Wxdood said:

Sheesh...  Passive aggressive BS?  Little bit of an overreaction bud.  Wasn't just talking about your comment today but here is an example.  See below:

Other guidance is colder, but still not as cold as it "should" be.  Perhaps  correlated to low continental snow extent?

Or something else also 

I don't know how to

What something else were you alluding to here?  Like I said it would be nice to just stick to the topic instead of alluding to this or that...  Two other threads and an entire section of the website itself to panic about "something else". 

That was last night to someone else and I did as much as possible to reply to a legit question honestly without going into a warming discussion. But that post also had nothing to do with the conversation you were responding to which I also was careful to avoid directly getting into any CC discussion.  If your mad that the replies simply allude vaguely to the fact it is warmer then grow TF up and deal with it.  But nice bait and switch attempt. I suggest you stop.

For the record I’m done playing nice with anyone who tries this Fng BS nonsense anymore.  If a question or legit discussion comes up that is ancillary related to warming and I or someone else responds as innocuously as possible but inevitably the reply just alludes or only hints to the fact warming exists and this hurts your fragile ego I suggest you suck it up and cope some other way than passive aggressive attempted to shut down any mention that it’s warmer in a weather discussion. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Wxdood said:

Or something else also 

I don't know how to

Lack of snow is making everyone a bit salty. 

32 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was last night to someone else and I did as much as possible to reply to a legit question honestly without going into a warming discussion. But that post also had nothing to do with the conversation you were responding to which I also was careful to avoid directly getting into any CC discussion.  If your mad that the replies simply allude vaguely to the fact it is warmer then grow TF up and deal with it.  But nice bait and switch attempt. I suggest you stop.

For the record I’m done playing nice with anyone who tries this Fng BS nonsense anymore.  If a question or legit discussion comes up that is ancillary related to warming and I or someone else responds as innocuously as possible but inevitably the reply just alludes or only hints to the fact warming exists and this hurts your fragile ego I suggest you suck it up and cope some other way than passive aggressive attempted to shut down any mention that it’s warmer in a weather discussion. 

There is NOTHING being discussed on this sub that warrants an I’m done playing nice response. WTAF. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic