• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

19 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A legit NA blocking pattern is being depicted on all 3 ens means. Canadian has led the way on a stout, west-based -NAO and the latest GEFS and EPS runs are now more bullish on the idea.

1708300800-h6vFVznNOgo.png

1708300800-h9epuIEtg6Q.png
1708214400-7QRDl8zkVjA.png

The West based block increases the odds for a more significant snowfall event for our area I believe.

I was just commenting yesterday about the CMC and how it might over do blocking,  but as you mentioned,  other models have trended to it . Awesome looks there !!

• Like 2

All those ensemble means showing troughing in the 50/50 region as well. I don’t know if we get a HECS, but seems like it would take incredible bad luck to not get a really nice event later this month. 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

All those ensemble means showing troughing in the 50/50 region as well. I don’t know if we get a HECS, but seems like it would take incredible bad luck to not get a really nice event later this month. 

To me that's what makes it a legitimate atmospheric block with some staying power. Looks like it is evolving into a Rex(dipole) configuration.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A legit NA blocking pattern is being depicted on all 3 ens means. Canadian has led the way on a stout, west-based -NAO and the latest GEFS and EPS runs are now more bullish on the idea.

1708300800-h6vFVznNOgo.png

1708300800-h9epuIEtg6Q.png
1708214400-7QRDl8zkVjA.png

Good stuff. I know many are skeptical but there are reasons I’ve been so bullish even from what might seem an illogical range. 

1) nao blocking has not failed us the last 8 years. Everything else has. We’ve actually had some incredibly impressive blocking regimes recently.  Just often they’ve been muted by a god awful pacific. But seeing the mjo progressing towards 7/8 in a Nino combined with our two previous blocking regimes this winter left me with little doubt that the nao block would be legit. 

2) if you look at all the best analogs to this winter, 1958, 1966, 1987, 2010, 2016, there was a period at some point where things lined up and we got this look. There is variability to when it happened. There is chaos within the patterns. But they all at some point lined up for a period conducive to big snowstorms. The only basin wide strong Ninos that didn’t were the fluke seasons of 92 and 95 where we got no nao help all winter. 

This just makes sense. It’s supported by everything we see now. Mjo progression. SPV state. Tanking soi. Historically it fits. This is why I said the bar this season has to be high. This really is the rare once a decade type season where we have the potential to go way above avg snowfall. We have to take advantage of it. I think there is a very good chance we do.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

To me that's what makes it a legitimate atmospheric block with some staying power. Looks like it is evolving into a Rex(dipole) configuration.

This has to slow down the flow and allow easier energy consolidation. Just wish it was happening now and not during Ian’s sun angle season
  • Like 2

The 14-15th has trended a bit colder on the GEFS so that is one window to monitor. The period beyond that around PD is starting to look more interesting- colder air in place and more like a typical Nino event with a discrete wave tracking across the south, and less NS interaction.

1708279200-f8w05vawQt4.png

1708300800-T5XZ2W4IZm4.png

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, frd said:

Wonder how far South suppression is ? 

Not worried about suppression for now. Storm tracks almost always shift further north as they get closer (as long as there isn’t an omega block right over us). Sure someone may get hit in NC or even northern SC in one of those threats, but the primary storm track won’t set up that far south. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 14-15th has trended a bit colder on the GEFS so that is one window to monitor. The period beyond that around PD is starting to look more interesting- colder air in place and more like a typical Nino event with a discrete wave tracking across the south, and less NS interaction.
1708279200-f8w05vawQt4.png
1708300800-T5XZ2W4IZm4.png

I’m still intrigued by this period. We normally don’t score during the first wave of a pattern change but I do think if the shortwaves progress correctly we could time something.

Not worried about suppression for now. Storm tracks almost always shift further north as they get closer (as long as there isn’t an omega block right over us). Sure someone may get hit in NC or even northern SC in one of those threats, but the primary storm track won’t set up that far south. 

Yea suppression is least of my worries. This winter has not lacked precip. Let’s just get the good pattern here and worry about that later

38 minutes ago, Heisy said:

I’m still intrigued by this period. We normally don’t score during the first wave of a pattern change but I do think if the shortwaves progress correctly we could time something.

True.  Though the period around the 18-19th would not actually be the first wave?  Unless I misinterpret what you mean.  Seems that around the 14th would be the so-called "first wave chance" which would be pretty borderline at best around these parts, though some others may score something from that.

I'm getting antsy.  You know the good part of the movie is coming and you wanna just get to it.  We're going to head into the Endgame and win this mofo.   We're gonna lose a few along the way, but let us remember the sacrifice they have made.

I’m on pins and needles waiting for the Feb. 16 cutter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 2

I totally understand the pattern is epic and I don’t know why I’m taking on the role of deb but how come we still can’t buy a digital snowstorm within 16 days

Today Feb 2. The magic window apparently js pd weekend and beyond so not in range. Euro control has plenty apparently

37a65f24d474c12f4d9a796ac39e170e.jpg

Today Feb 2. The magic window apparently js pd weekend and beyond so not in range. Euro control has plenty apparently

37a65f24d474c12f4d9a796ac39e170e.jpg

I remember when I pulled the EURO control for last week (as in seeing how much snow it showed for the week we just went through) and it had an area wide 4-10” with like 3 back to back events. At least when that becomes the OP we’ll have fun outcomes to look at again
  • Like 1

I remember when I pulled the EURO control for last week (as in seeing how much snow it showed for the week we just went through) and it had an area wide 4-10” with like 3 back to back events. At least when that becomes the OP we’ll have fun outcomes to look at again

Euro control is like gfs before they ruined it and it stopped giving us digital blue
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I totally understand the pattern is epic and I don’t know why I’m taking on the role of deb but how come we still can’t buy a digital snowstorm within 16 days

It's like back when you were 13 :hurrbear:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doug K. Forecast is really going to come down to these next 4 weeks or so. He went big on his winter snowfall forecast.

Make or break for him.

Of course he canceled last winter with his snow fall forecast and was right. Let's hope he's right about  this year.

I believe he has my area in the 38 to 50 range so I've got some work to do to get there.

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Is mid Feb  (10th to 19th) still on or delayed to 20th to 29th? 

I'd say it's on (~ Feb 19) unless the upper latitude index pattern changes (which it hasn't yet). It also looks like an active STJ starting around that time so well have to just time something right in trend.  It was always suppose to be warm before Valentines Day.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic