• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

I know some are getting nervous about "the clock" but we are fine IMO.  Yea of course ideally it would be awesome if this was setting in late January like in 2010.  That was perfect.  But the pattern setting up mid February is not too late.  We have had some epic runs late Feb through March in the past.  1959, 1960, 1964, 2014, 2015.  In 2018 the only reason we didn't get more snow in March was that several storms got suppressed!  1980 there was a HECS to our south in March.   Getting this type of pattern is extremely rare.  It only happens once or twice a decade!  So there is simply a limited sample size and opportunity.  But the times this type of pattern has happened in late Feb or March we had no problem getting snow.  I do not think we are "running out of time" at all.  If the coming pattern is legit we will be able to snow well into March in that look.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Looking at analog matches centered on Feb 11 seems a tad too early. I'd want to see what the matches look like centered around Feb 18th or so.

I was thinking that also, but even so I didn't think those dates were that bad.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The local results could be similar and 1960 was an amazing late winter period, but 1958 is the better analog because it was a similar strength Nino. And you can see the similarities in the pacific to the coming pattern on the 1958 h5 composite below. 
IMG_1218.gif.7879d00f5e2101e3bb753f93e5599d01.gif

compare that to 1960 which was an enso neutral year and you see while there is definitely a similar nao blocking regime and subsequent eastern trough, the pacific pattern is not as close a match.  It’s not way off but it’s lacking the canonical Nino central pac low, or at the least is muted. 
IMG_1233.gif.f647309fd43f28395f6933b5940c6817.gif
This doesn’t mean the ground truth doesn’t end up similar but that’s why people are using 58 more than 60 as an analog. 2010 is an excellent analog to the coming pattern but obviously this is going to be displaced about 2 weeks later than 2010 which makes 1958 the best analog we have imo. 

Thanks!    Amazingly similar H5 over the MA with significant differences over the Pacific.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know some are getting nervous about "the clock" but we are fine IMO.  Yea of course ideally it would be awesome if this was setting in late January like in 2010.  That was perfect.  But the pattern setting up mid February is not too late.  We have had some epic runs late Feb through March in the past.  1959, 1960, 1964, 2014, 2015.  In 2018 the only reason we didn't get more snow in March was that several storms got suppressed!  1980 there was a HECS to our south in March.   Getting this type of pattern is extremely rare.  It only happens once or twice a decade!  So there is simply a limited sample size and opportunity.  But the times this type of pattern has happened in late Feb or March we had no problem getting snow.  I do not think we are "running out of time" at all.  If the coming pattern is legit we will be able to snow well into March in that look.  

Yeah, I'm less worried about the clock running out on us than I was a week ago, or even a few days ago. 

That 540 line is pretty close to us on the D12-15 ensembles... and that's geopotential height, not thicknesses!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paulythegun said:

Can somebody tell me the exact moment when the wave breaks? I'm very excited for the wave to break. Also, when does the snow pattern make landfall? Have we sampled it yet? What about 06z/18z? Do we need more balloons?

I’m not above a little banter in the analysis threads, but I feel the need to point out that this post sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not above a little banter in the analysis threads, but I feel the need to point out that this post sucks.

Yea he is overdoing the comedy and also underdoing it cause it’s not that funny. Some is though
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Similar type progression as last nights euro could set the table mid month for an event. N/S energy advancing ahead for any left over energy in SW
2c4d4c8427ef8ffeb696163155a96064.jpg

My wag is that we want that northern low to be strong so it can drag in some cold air behind it and set the thermal boundary to our south. We probably also want some better spacing between the northern low and the southern low behind it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

It appears we are getting the 'ideal' pattern with all the teleconnections in the desired phase. With the coupled PNA/EPO ridge and the NAO ridge building westward and squeezing the TPV southward, the NS is going to be busy and chaotic. Tracking is going to be 'fun', with models struggling to resolve wave interactions and timing between the northern and southern streams.

1708149600-SmTpK87aXW8.png

We are gonna be tracking day and night. I can hardly wait.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heisy said:

From our Philly forum…

00z 06 GFS show a PV split btw right around mid month. If we have some blocking at that time could even enhance everything. Ensembles just stretch it, just seems everything is lining up at just the right time.

519ce8138103626f22016dc33b28a578.jpg

GFRaVFPakAAKpoX.thumb.jpeg.4ad7a8ac591a71232313197311ee2a14.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I really like how favorable the Pacific is. Usually in +PNA you get a trough over the Aleutian islands, but its placement a little east on the models is the perfect position for our historical strong snowstorms.  

Party on Chuck 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

My wag is that we want that northern low to be strong so it can drag in some cold air behind it and set the thermal boundary to our south. We probably also want some better spacing between the northern low and the southern low behind it.

This is more what the euro does actually. Drags more cold air behind it. 

3 D Vortex

current 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20240201_f000_rot000.thumb.png.9440351501d87c68bdae7c5bb6a83f16.png

Hour 384 forecast from the GFS.  Notice the bagginess and displacement North South orientation, along with hints of a split at lower levels.  

Overall positive signs for the HL. 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20240201_f384_rot000.thumb.png.db3c2d63f784547bea25b41453b16661.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

here is where we stand by the 14th on all ENS... seems like a push forward, if anything. all are in very strong agreement

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-7912000.thumb.png.d61f14629b01de23f4ee781b775be800.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-7912000.thumb.png.0ace0cfbf7265386cf75fd3739eb3ab3.pngcmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-7912000.thumb.png.9270e0d2361c51f5898dc0dcdd4cad2b.png

you are showing us the wrong blue

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

CWG calling for above average temps and near average snow for February

For the first 2 weeks of February, we are like +5. All you have to do is look at models to see that. that would mean it takes a <-5 anomaly the 2nd half of the month to not be above average. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic