• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Then if you believe both extended ensemble systems the whole pattern recycles with a second deep blocking cycle and another very strong storm signal centered in early March.  

57-58

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think there are going to be multiple good threats but looking at the way the pattern is progressing I think our best chance at a MECS+ storm might be centered within a couple days either side of Feb 24th. 

I expect us to be tracking something within a weeks time. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

but shooting blanks the first 2 weeks of February after those tasty Feb charts from the seasonals?

If the last two weeks of February into the beginning of March verify as they are modeled at the moment - you couldn't say that the seasonals were completely off base. They're used as a guide to the longwave pattern progression, no one is using them to pinpoint exact week-by-week shifts. Being off by two weeks and then getting it right would be a crazy good win for the seasonals. 

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

pretty scary thought---because if we dont see a big snow or two......this hobby is pretty much done

If the guidance is even close with the coming period Feb 15-March 15, it would be really really difficult for us to escape without at least one significant snowstorm.  I am NOT saying a HECS, those take some luck even in the best patterns, but if we don't get at least one significant snowstorm I would be very surprised.  I think my over under would be one MECS and one SECS storm...more would take a little luck, less would take bad luck.  

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

pretty scary thought---because if we dont see a big snow or two......this hobby is pretty much done

For the record the control which produced that 7 day mean I posted does snow on us 3 times.  One MECS and 2 SECS level events.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If the guidance is even close with the coming period Feb 15-March 15, it would be really really difficult for us to escape without at least one significant snowstorm.  I am NOT saying a HECS, those take some luck even in the best patterns, but if we don't get at least one significant snowstorm I would be very surprised.  I think my over under would be one MECS and one SECS storm...more would take a little luck, less would take bad luck.  

Yeah, that'll be what it takes for us to beat climo by a decent margin. Add one more SECS and we'll put this as one of the better nino winters in the books.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

The snow means are horrible the next 15 days on all the ensembles  I guess we need "wave breaks" and cooling for our last gasp of winter.  Hope to see an uptick by next weekend.  WB 12Z EPS.

IMG_3069.png

This is the mean for the 12-15th window on the 12z GEFS, which is right at the beginning of the pattern transitioning to more favorable. This is horrible?

1708041600-YCGYxfHZ65M.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

.  I think my over under would be one MECS and one SECS storm...more would take a little luck, less would take bad luck.  

That would put me in excellent position to win the snowfall contest 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

I wonder if LR models have a relative potential energy weight.. like it seems like when we are warm on the initial day or days +0-5, the LR goes crazy with cold at days 17-24. Like, warm now, is cold later, like a see-saw. Maybe not? It just seems like we have to have this 5-7 day running +departure to clear for more realistic LR model estimates to verify. Maybe because super LR output is new? I wouldn't bet against cold after Feb 14/15, but maybe it won't be as crazy as these -430dm -NAO's. 

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree and I believe the greatest opportunity is Feb. 20 - March 15 based on the Euro weeklies.

Some may say, well this is only 25 days.    Historically, we have been buried in 15 days with several storms.

17 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This is the mean for the 12-15th window on the 12z GEFS, which is right at the beginning of the pattern transitioning to more favorable. This is horrible?

1708041600-YCGYxfHZ65M.png

Dude, it’s Weather Will. He’ll post a 5,327 hour map and say the snow mean is great and then the next day post a 540hr paltry map and say things are terrible. Love him or hate him, he’s family. 

• Haha 12

I know there are those in this forum who think early March snow (i.e., first half of the month) is a waste, but we've had some really good cold shots and snows in the first part of that month.  We've also had some epically cold periods in February (2007 and 2015 come to mind).  Who cares if it's not something that would necessarily stay on the ground for a week or two.  Really!  If these current indications on the extended and weeklies are correct, we could well easily be tracking things not only the 2nd half or so of February, but also into March.  I say bring it on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Dude, it’s Weather Will. He’ll post a 5,327 hour map and say the snow mean is great and then the next day post a 540hr paltry map and say things are terrible. Love him or hate him, he’s family. 

The snow mean for July 4 weekend is a disaster!!  Totally sucks!  Summertime HECS cancel! :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know there are those in this forum who think early March snow (i.e., first half of the month) is a waste, but we've had some really good cold shots and snows in the first part of that month.  We've also had some epically cold periods in February (2007 and 2015 come to mind).  Who cares if it's not something that would necessarily stay on the ground for a week or two.  Really!  If these current indications on the extended and weeklies are correct, we could well easily be tracking things not only the 2nd half or so of February, but also into March.  I say bring it on!

I take what I can get.  If there’s a chance of an April snowstorm that melts 20 minutes after it falls, I’ll take it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

I sometimes worry that he won't make it.

Cracked that 120 open yet? If not you have more restraint than me.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I think there are going to be multiple good threats but looking at the way the pattern is progressing I think our best chance at a MECS+ storm might be centered within a couple days either side of Feb 24th. 

So think our usual PD weekend MECS+ threshold would be too soon? (It's not scientific, but the fact it's never happened the last week of Feb is not something I wanna bet on, lol)

Just now, CAPE said:

I sometimes worry that he won't make it.

Cracked that 120 open yet? If not you have more restraint than me.

I’m worried about him not making it too.  We gotta prop him up. 

The self restraint is amazing. Holding until the Super Bowl or the happy hour like 3 days before a FOLKS storm, whichever comes first. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stormy said:

I agree and I believe the greatest opportunity is Feb. 20 - March 15 based on the Euro weeklies.

Some may say, well this is only 25 days.    Historically, we have been buried in 15 days with several storms.

We had a ~3 week period from Feb. 14-March 5 or so in 2015 that was absolutely amazing around here.  And that followed a rather craptastic pattern at the end of January and into early February.  Yet we had epic cold starting Valentine's Day that year along with several decent events.  No HECS or anything, but wow, what a stretch of cold and snow!  That February ended up at like a -10 departure on temperatures, even after a relatively warm first week or so.

(ETA:  And even the record-breaking winter 2009-10, the winter came in concentrated waves...we had 14 days of amazing winter from the end of January through mid-February, and maybe another week or so in December around the HECS that  month).

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic