Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The snow compressed a lot after it first fell, then the daily melt/refreeze makes it pretty much bulletproof. Lots of water in that snow as well. Helps preserve it well. 

12" here in Jersey melted in less than a week.

15 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

12" here in Jersey melted in less than a week.

The Saturday snow here is long gone, but underneath that we have the waterlogged bulletproof snow that’s hanging on. The high ratio snow is great for a day or so but is gone in a flash in the higher Feb sun and temps around 40 every day. The rest of the snow will be gone in a few days after the rain on Fri but it’s good enough for now anyway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Epic weeks of winter? What? Nothing about this week has been epic. Sorry 

You are in the island. Winter has sucked there for sure this year. But the last week and this week have been great up here. Snow was amazing at Catamount last weekend and in the Catskills. It has been a tough winter but compared to this time last year I’ll take it. Last year many areas never got close to 100% open in snowmaking trails. Has it been an amazing winter no, but at least this past week and this week have been good. 

44 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

You are in the island. Winter has sucked there for sure this year. But the last week and this week have been great up here. Snow was amazing at Catamount last weekend and in the Catskills. It has been a tough winter but compared to this time last year I’ll take it. Last year many areas never got close to 100% open in snowmaking trails. Has it been an amazing winter no, but at least this past week and this week have been good. 

Last year was better for the mountains 

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

That’s not “epic”. It’s winter. 

8 hours ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 70 (1939)
NYC: 69 (1939)
LGA: 70 (2018)

Lows:

EWR: 1 (2015)
NYC: 2 (2015)
LGA: 3 (2015)

Historical:

1805 - The Potomac River was opened after being closed by ice for a period of two months. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1898 - Eastern Wisconsin experienced their biggest snowstorm of record. Racine received thirty inches, and drifts around Milwaukee measured fifteen feet high. (David Ludlum)

1912: A strong area of low pressure produced snow in Amarillo and high winds to Austin, Texas. In the warm sector of the low, severe storms developed and produced an estimated F3 tornado in Shreveport, Louisiana. The tornado killed nine people and injured 50 others. The tornado passed near Centenary College, where windows were damaged, and the grandstand at the ballpark was partially damaged. In addition, significant damage occurred in the Freewater section, where an estimated 75 to 100 houses were demolished. 

1912: During the 20th and 21st, a severe snowstorm attended by high winds lasting from 34 to 30 hours swept over Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. The amount of snow that fell in this storm was not only large, but it drifted severely. In many places, snowbanks 5 feet and higher were formed, railroad cuts were filled, highways in many places were impassable, electric service wires of all kinds were temporarily put out of commission, all trade and traffic generally demoralized. This snowstorm was part of a general disturbance that developed over the southwest on the 20th and moved northeastward over the Central and Eastern States, increasing in strength during the 21st and 22nd, and which proved to be one of the most severe and most extensive general disturbances that have passed over this section of the country for several years past. Besides the heavy snow in the northern part of the storm, heavy rains, gales, and destructive thunderstorms attended over most of the southern and eastern portions. Wind velocities of 50 to 75 miles per hour were reported at many places during the passage of this storm. Some wind blew steadily at high velocities for several hours. 

1953 - A snowstorm in Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota produced drifts ten feet high which derailed trains. (David Ludlum)

1987 - A storm system over Arizona spread heavy snow from the Southern Rockies into the Southern Plains Region. Thunderstorms in central Texas produced golf ball size hail about the same time north central Texas was being blanketed with up to 8 inches of snow, closing many schools. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Snow and strong northerly winds ushered arctic air into the Great Lakes Region. The temperature at Sault Ste Marie MI plunged from 30 degrees at 5 AM to one below zero by 3 PM, with a wind chill reading of 40 degrees below zero. Five cities in Florida reported record high temperatures for the date. The afternoon high of 90 degrees at Lakeland was just a degree shy of their February record. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms developing during the early afternoon produced severe weather from eastern Texas to Alabama and northwest Florida. Thunderstorms spawned a dozen tornadoes during the afternoon and evening. Thunderstorms also produced 90 mph winds around Vicksburg MS, and 100 mph winds around Jackson MS. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Heavy snow spread into southwestern Kansas and the panhandle region of Oklahoma and Texas. Heavier snowfall totals included 12 inches at Boise City OK, 11 inches at Liberal KS, and 10 inches at Spearman TX. Blowing and drifting snow closed roads in the Oklahoma panhandle. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1995: The temperature at the Civic Center in Los Angeles, California, soared to 95 degrees, the highest ever recorded at the location during February.

Hard to believe we were 70 degrees on this day in 2018 and we were 1,2,3 degrees on this day in 2015, and both years we had very snowy Marches.

8 hours ago, jm1220 said:

We can make a lot happen with even marginal conditions-the storm a week ago was a setup that most would say isn’t ideal for NYC and it was still a widespread warning event for most. The Sat storm came in and was at least an advisory event everywhere. In Jan we did have the 2 minor events. I remember that as lousy as Winter 18-19 was, we still did have a good March period. It’s just a matter of setting up a good enough pattern for even a few days to get the pieces together for a MECS. Too bad that couldn’t happen this year (or is very unlikely to), the background state and especially Pacific are just too hostile. 

I would say the first storm was a widespread advisory event and a warning event for northern areas, as you had to be away from the city and the south shore to get 6"+ of snow.  The second storm was a lot better for us on the south shore.

7 hours ago, wxallannj said:

My coldest here in Clifton so far this winter season is 14 set on January 17th.  My 50 year record for the warmest winter season minimum was 15 set over the 2001-2002 season.

The coldest February temperature so far this month was 20 set on the 18th.   If that stands it would be my warmest February minimum temperature since at least 1973

Right, 2001-02 also holds the high min record at NYC-- 19 degrees.

We've never had a winter where it didn't get into the teens at least once, but 2001-02 was very close (and also had the shortest freezing season of any winter.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Even Islip didn’t drop below 17° which is a first.

Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY - Dec through Feb
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Season
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2023-2024 17 10
2 2001-2002 15 0
- 1997-1998 15 0
3 2020-2021 13 0
- 2019-2020 13 0

2009-2010 12 0
- 2005-2006 12 0
5 2011-2012 10 0
- 2007-2008 10 0

wow, they even beat 2001-02?  But not in NYC where the record high min of winter is 19 at NYC.

4 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

I think the difference is that Patterson's annual snowfall is 150-200% of Commack's average.

In a place that averages 50+" a year, a 60% of normal year still looks and feels wintry.

In a place that averages half that, like much of LI, a 60% of normal year looks like a brown winter with a few sporadic barely plowable events.

60^ of Patterson's snowfall is a darn solid winter on LI.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, qg_omega said:

Last year was better for the mountains 

yeah, this hasn’t been a great year for skiers in the northeast.

The Catskills have done alright. The Adirondacks have just been out of the storm track and it’s kind of sucked.

The big guys that could blast snow everywhere were OK after Christmas week. If you don’t have the ability to make snow on all terrain, you are just fucked at this point in the northeast.

i’m at Gore right now and they have a nice amount of snow but they have a big warm-up coming and rain this week. Down at the lower levels near Schroon Lake there’s a few inches of snow and 8 inches of lake ice. It is all a very sad state of affairs.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Right, 2001-02 also holds the high min record at NYC-- 19 degrees.

We've never had a winter where it didn't get into the teens at least once, but 2001-02 was very close (and also had the shortest freezing season of any winter.)

I was convinced then, and now that that was a gift to the rescuers at the World Trade Center.

They had originally planned to build a giant tent over the site so they could continue recovery. it was never needed due to the warmth

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dark Star said:

That's where the cold air was earlier this season.   I was shocked when we got anything that came close to winter this year.  For intent and purposes, looks like its over.  Can never rule out a March "storm"...

But the interior has been favored during recent Marches. 

8ABFC2D9-6C8C-43E4-8A99-781B3DEB9E8E.thumb.png.76e878b77cc2e6ab15a949dc774bcdd4.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

The Catskills have done alright. The Adirondacks have just been out of the storm track and it’s kind of sucked.

The big guys that could blast snow everywhere were OK after Christmas week. If you don’t have the ability to make snow on all terrain, you are just fucked at this point in the northeast.

i’m at Gore right now and they have a nice amount of snow but they have a big warm-up coming and rain this week. Down at the lower levels near Schroon Lake there’s a few inches of snow and 8 inches of lake ice. It is all a very sad state of affairs.

I’ve been at Gore past few days as well, going this morning again

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

At least the 2 inch rainstorms with temps in the 50's have stopped...it's one thing to be warm and sunny and 50 and one thing to have it all washed away. Hopefully the mountains can get something like they did in mid March last year-those were the best conditions of the season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

At least the 2 inch rainstorms with temps in the 50's have stopped...it's one thing to be warm and sunny and 50 and one thing to have it all washed away. Hopefully the mountains can get something like they did in mid March last year-those were the best conditions of the season.

Yes. you can write off NYC metro, but mountains have time yet!!

9 hours ago, psv88 said:

That’s not “epic”. It’s winter. 

It’s epic compared to the last two winters where we couldn’t hold a pack at all. It’s sad that on Tuesday last week my son said “this is the biggest snowfall of my life”. We got 11 inches and he is 5. Goes to show you how much the past few years have sucked. The last “big” one we had he was 2 and clearly doesn’t remember that. So I’ll take this. And yes in the past 7 days we have had 15 inches of snow so that is still great, even in a crap winter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

It’s epic compared to the last two winters where we couldn’t hold a pack at all. It’s sad that on Tuesday last week my son said “this is the biggest snowfall of my life”. We got 11 inches and he is 5. Goes to show you how much the past few years have sucked. The last “big” one we had he was 2 and clearly doesn’t remember that. So I’ll take this. And yes in the past 7 days we have had 15 inches of snow so that is still great, even in a crap winter. 

We are lucky-given that we've had about 2-3 weeks of actual winter 15 inches of snow is a miracle...other dogs like 01-02 or 11-12, 19-20 had low single digit totals

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

wow, they even beat 2001-02?  But not in NYC where the record high min of winter is 19 at NYC.

Pretty impressive for Bradford,PA to beat the 01-02 winter warmth for two years in a row as the warmest departures missed just to our west.

Time Series Summary for BRADFORD REGIONAL AIRPORT, PA - Dec through Feb
Rank
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2023-2024 32.6 9
2 2022-2023 32.0 0
3 2001-2002 30.9 0
4 1997-1998 30.2 8
5 2016-2017 29.3 0
- 2015-2016 29.3 0
6 2011-2012 29.2 0
7 2012-2013 28.9 0
8 2019-2020 28.8 0
9 2021-2022 27.4 1
10 1998-1999 27.3 0

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Dec through Feb
Rank
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2001-2002 41.6 0
2 2022-2023 41.0 0
- 2015-2016 41.0 0
3 2023-2024 40.5 9
- 2011-2012 40.5 0
4 1931-1932 40.2 0
5 1997-1998 39.6 0
6 2016-2017 39.3 0
7 2019-2020 39.2 0
8 1990-1991 39.1 0
9 1998-1999 38.6 0
10 1948-1949 38.5 0
- 1889-1890 38.5 0

• Thanks 1

I know it's not completely over, however it's not look great for more snowfall.

That would put this decade at 3 below average snowfall winters, only better than last years total. Average this decade before this winter was 19.6 and will take a hit when this year is ultimately added.

Screenshot_20240218-105134.thumb.png.4bd0e2685fc7f11e2f4020161eb533ce.png

45 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Yes. you can write off NYC metro, but mountains have time yet!!

I’m sure you would have said that in 97/98 when NyC was at .5” and on the way to the record only to have that 5” storm in March. March is volatile and probably the hardest month to forecast far out due to the shortening wave lengths. It’s not over yet. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

We are lucky-given that we've had about 2-3 weeks of actual winter 15 inches of snow is a miracle...other dogs like 01-02 or 11-12, 19-20 had low single digit totals

Yeah if we didn’t pull this out this would have been a straight F instead of a D+. Hopefully March can get Vermont some snow but I think this will be a quick closing year for many ski areas. 

40 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Believe it or not our area was above 10 inches in 11/12 (when you factor in the October snowstorm). 11.5 was my total.

18 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m sure you would have said that in 97/98 when NyC was at .5” and on the way to the record only to have that 5” storm in March. March is volatile and probably the hardest month to forecast far out due to the shortening wave lengths. It’s not over yet. 

That was the only time NYC had a 5” snowstorm so close to a string of 80° days.

Data for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Date
Max Temperature 
Min Temperature 
Snowfall 
1998-03-22 36 30 5.0
1998-03-23 47 32 0.0
1998-03-24 49 34 0.0
1998-03-25 50 34 0.0
1998-03-26 67 40 0.0
1998-03-27 83 56 0.0
1998-03-28 80 63 0.0
1998-03-29 81 62 0.0
1998-03-30 82 59 0.0
1998-03-31 86 66 0.0
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I know it's not completely over, however it's not look great for more snowfall.

That would put this decade at 3 below average snowfall winters, only better than last years total. Average this decade before this winter was 19.6 and will take a hit when this year is ultimately added.

Screenshot_20240218-105134.thumb.png.4bd0e2685fc7f11e2f4020161eb533ce.png

look at the decade before with the 33.2" average and you can see why we likely regress to under the ~29" 30-year average this decade

• Thanks 1