• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

Catamount was absolutely amazing today! Snow squalls putting down a few inches and great conditions overall. This week as been great and even next week in the mountains looks cold for the majority of it. I always am amazed at the huge variance in weather from the city to the Catskills and Berks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Numerous strong El Niño events have seen snow in March and have turned colder for a time in the leadup to mid-March (generally weeks 2 through 3). Of course, there's no guarantee that the upcoming March will evolve in such fashion though the monthly guidance hints at an almost canonical ENSO map.

Week 2-3 sounds ideal as after the 21st our 1"+ events are very rare.

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

Catamount was absolutely amazing today! Snow squalls putting down a few inches and great conditions overall. This week as been great and even next week in the mountains looks cold for the majority of it. I always am amazed at the huge variance in weather from the city to the Catskills and Berks. 

and the Poconos, snow squalls all day up there!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, pretty ridiculous heat in that part of the world keeps reloading the forcing leading to more jet extensions and warmth for us.

68DF0F3B-D334-4FDA-8C8F-038F86B239BE.thumb.png.5774e2a6363fcd2df1acfbcf73bd2e0f.png

E99BB1E5-FB57-4167-BEFE-EB616EADB779.thumb.png.29fc2befce5fec8854953d4dce0f06b0.png

I hope the warmth is temporary. One thing that seems apparent to me, and I think this principle can be applied to many places, is that we seem to be seeing a lot of micro trends. Like one region goes through a drought for a period of time then a wet period, etc. This WPAC warm pool really became an issue after the 2015 super Nino. Maybe a strong Nina, since we haven't seen one since 2010, might help cool it down? 

From a national perspective, we saw several cold/cool winters from 2006-07 to 2014-15 (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2013-14, 2014-15). Quite the opposite from 2015-16 to present. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I hope the warmth is temporary. One thing that seems apparent to me, and I think this principle can be applied to many places, is that we seem to be seeing a lot of micro trends. Like one region goes through a drought for a period of time then a wet period, etc. This WPAC warm pool really became an issue after the 2015 super Nino. Maybe a strong Nina, since we haven't seen one since 2010, might help cool it down? 

From a national perspective, we saw several cold/cool winters from 2006-07 to 2014-15 (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2013-14, 2014-15). Quite the opposite from 2015-16 to present. 

2006-07 started as the warmest winter on record though and only flipped in February

That was a colder stretch but the really cold stretch started with 2002-03.

we took  a break from the cold in a few of those years. between that year and 2014-15

2006-07, 2007-08, 2011-12

• Like 1

An asterisk will have to go next to the NYC snowfall measurements since they are our only major station still below 10” on the season. Our other major stations are all above 10”.  The low snowfall measurements are the winter version of the low high temperatures during the warm season due to the vegetation too close to the ASOS creating deep shade that wasn’t there before the 90s. We generally did the best we could this season with the continuing record warmth and hostile Pacific patterns. While we are on track for another below normal snowfall season, it won’t be as bad a last year. 

Seasonal snowfall so far vs the seasonal average

EWR…12.2….31.5

NYC….7.5*….29.8

LGA….10.5….29.8

JFK…..12.8….25.9

ISP…….10.9….31.8

BDR…..15.6….33.6

• Like 8

Bottomed out at 16, definitely coldest of the season so far. Probably from all the nearby snowpack, right? Our inch and 2/3rds was mostly melted already, sadly. 

Definitely taking a glass half full approach overall, one of the warmest winters on record with extreme warmth in Canada and many marginal snow events in the area, and I’ve pulled down almost 11 inches in an area that doesn’t do well in marginal. Especially compared to last year, I’ll take it! And north CNJ northward has done impressively well these past two events, so it’s really nice to see in such a warm winter. 

I’d probably feel less optimistic if it were colder (even just average cold) and I missed on chance after chance, nah we’ve all done well to very well considering. And that extreme band that set up shop will be a very nice memory for a lot of people, that was absolutely wild! @Allsnow’s excitement was palpable and infectious!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

An asterisk will have to go next to the NYC snowfall measurements since they are our only major station still below 10” on the season. Our other major stations are all above 10”.  The low snowfall measurements are the winter version of the low high temperatures during the warm season due to the vegetation too close to the ASOS creating deep shade that wasn’t there before the 90s. We generally did the best we could this season with the continuing record warmth and hostile Pacific patterns. While we are on track for another below normal snowfall season, it won’t be as bad a last year. 

EWR…12.2….31.5

NYC….7.5*….29.8

LGA….10.5….29.8

JFK…..12.8….25.9

ISP…….10.9….31.8

BDR…..15.6….33.6

For comparison's sake, are both Boston and Philly also in double digits, Chris?

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

@bluewave The signal on the ensembles for an extremely warm last few days of February and especially early March is astounding. I haven’t seen a signal this strong since probably March, 2012

It still appears it won't last long...already ensembles beginning to flip things more +PNA or zonal at the end of their runs minus the GEFS which has been really lousy all winter anyway, we cannot sustain any pattern more than 10-14 days it seems and once again we probably won't here.  We'll see if maybe after 3/25 we can flip things consistently mild but I do think we will have a lousy cold dreary stretch mid March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

EWR…12.2….31.5

NYC….7.5*….29.8

LGA….10.5….29.8

JFK…..12.8….25.9

ISP…….10.9….31.8

BDR…..15.6….33.6

This is the one event I think they clearly under measured.  I could definitely make an argument for what they got in the previous event as EWR/LGA were close

• Like 1

All it takes is for 1 or 2 more decent snowfalls for most to be at almost seasonal levels. Winter IS NOT over yet. Everyone should be thrilled with this winter compared to last year. I definitely think most get close to seasonal snowfall before winter is over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

For comparison's sake, are both Boston and Philly also in double digits, Chris?

Boston is doing really poorly so far compared to their total seasonal average and Philly much better.

seasonal snowfall so far vs average seasonal snowfall 

Boston….9.7……49.2

Philly…….11.2…..23.1

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Boston is doing really poorly so far compared to their total seasonal average and Philly much better.

seasonal snowfall so far vs average seasonal snowfall 

Boston….9.7……49.2

Philly…….11.2…..23.1

The airport and downtown has been shafted in every event somehow it seems

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

@bluewave The signal on the ensembles for an extremely warm last few days of February and especially early March is astounding. I haven’t seen a signal this strong since probably March, 2012

Good morning S19. Apparently AccuWeather long range agrees with you, at least for the moment. Stay well, as always ….

IMG_7195.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The airport and downtown has been shafted in every event somehow it seems

They have pretty much been in the same boat as us with only 1 snowfall season out of the last 6 with above normal snowfall. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, suzook said:

All it takes is for 1 or 2 more decent snowfalls for most to be at almost seasonal levels. Winter IS NOT over yet. Everyone should be thrilled with this winter compared to last year. I definitely think most get close to seasonal snowfall before winter is over.

While I dont believe we will get anywhere close to seasonal averages, it's definitely MUCH better than last winter.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It still appears it won't last long...already ensembles beginning to flip things more +PNA or zonal at the end of their runs minus the GEFS which has been really lousy all winter anyway, we cannot sustain any pattern more than 10-14 days it seems and once again we probably won't here.  We'll see if maybe after 3/25 we can flip things consistently mild but I do think we will have a lousy cold dreary stretch mid March.

I find it intriguing when the pattern changes themselves follow patterns and happen during the same weeks each month.  If that's the case we could have another colder stretch between March 13 and March 23.... and that could mean perhaps one or two more chances for snow?