• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring the 29th/30th for significant impact coastal redevelopment - confidence only medium for now but is trending favorably.

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My guess is you won’t find a 2 year winter period that had within 10% of total “Winter QPF” as the last 2 with so little % of it leading to accumulating snow for those areas 

Obviously area specific,  but my area has done better with snow the last 3 years than several 80s winters i lived through. Sure maybe we've had a little more rain, but the pattern is quite similar. It sucks that all my old weather diaries were lost in a move, it was all in them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My guess is you won’t find a 2 year winter period that had within 10% of total “Winter QPF” as the last 2 with so little % of it leading to accumulating snow for those areas 

I could see Dry and ratter , or even average QPF and rain mild/ cold dry but not such a high QPF winter yielding so little snow 

It's unreal. I've had 15 inches of snow and 15 inches of rain since December 1st. How often does that happen?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Obviously area specific,  but my area has done better with snow the last 3 years than several 80s winters i lived through. Sure maybe we've had a little more rain, but the pattern is quite similar. It sucks that all my old weather diaries were lost in a move, it was all in them

I doubt you could find anything in the '80s that would compare to the rain snow ratio we're now experiencing. 

23 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

For the CT folks especially southern half. I think most of the Sunday snow depends on the intensity of this band and the thump. All of the snowier guidance is mostly from this band dynamically cooling the column to potentially produce accumulating snow. Without that I think it’s just a rain/white rain mix. 

IMG_2793.png

Yeah that’s probably key to many areas south of the pike. 

Just now, kdxken said:

I doubt you could find anything in the '80s that would compare to the rain snow ratio we're now experiencing. 

Again, I said area specific.  We're at about 5 inches rain since Thanksgiving, and about 25 inches of snow. You guys out east have had far more rain than us. We had a couple different winters with big rains in the 80s. Several caused floods like I haven't seen since then on our local roads

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I have a Cocorahs station abutting my Sherborn property and it has measured 15.3 inches of snow since December 1st. Sound about right to you?

Yeah that’s prob pretty accurate. I have about 17.5” but I have at little bit of elevation and a little bit west of there being near the Hopkinton and Ashland lines. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It's unreal. I've had 15 inches of snow and 15 inches of rain since December 1st. How often does that happen?

Boston had 16” of rain and 6.6” of snow at this point in ‘57-58 (similar type ENSO too). 

I think ‘78-79 was very wet too but not a ton of snow…what was terrible about that winter is it was cold too but the storms didn’t cooperate. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Boston had 16” of rain and 6.6” of snow at this point in ‘57-58 (similar type ENSO too). 

I think ‘78-79 was very wet too but not a ton of snow…what was terrible about that winter is it was cold too but the storms didn’t cooperate. 

The back to back year part seems “impressive” to me for the areas that are doing it again after last year 

10 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I don't think Dave is a slanter.

He was suspended for 4 storms for inflategate

On 1/16/2024 at 6:37 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm going with 4.5" total, but definitely an asterisk since I cound't measure before the sleet. Had the daughter do it around 1PM and there was around 3.75" then.

Pretty cold storm for the recent times

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I thought this was a 2-4er all along but it could be a sloppy 1-2.

the past couple years have been the worst stretch of my weenie life. There’s technically been worse stretches growing up in CNJ, I bet, in the 80s but we weren’t checking models 4 times a day and perpetually stabbing our eyes out over every failed event like we do today. Tracking makes the bad seasons feel really bad. 

I tried to tell you this last year lol

44 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

For the CT folks especially southern half. I think most of the Sunday snow depends on the intensity of this band and the thump. All of the snowier guidance is mostly from this band dynamically cooling the column to potentially produce accumulating snow. Without that I think it’s just a rain/white rain mix. 

IMG_2793.png

I’m just not feeling it down there. Maybe I’m biased based on the disaster earlier this month in southern CT but it’s too many red flags for me. 

22 minutes ago, kdxken said:

idk, maybe 84/85 has to be close from my foggy memory, but mid 80s winters were brutal after 83, with lots of rain I remember one pouring on Christmas or Thanksgiving, again... foggy memory, but it was a holiday

• Like 1

Thinking this is very similar to 1/7 for the coastal plain inside 128. Lots of white rain and frustration. It’s always something here it seems, 1/7 the ocean was too warm still, now we have a cooler ocean but crappy airmass that can’t overcome it. Congrats interior nw of 495. We now suck on the coast for snow 

25 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The back to back year part seems “impressive” to me for the areas that are doing it again after last year 

Yup. Last winter at this time I had 10 inches of snow and 12 inches of rain.