• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring the 29th/30th for significant impact coastal redevelopment - confidence only medium for now but is trending favorably.

Typhoon Tip

We'll see on this .. but feel it is at least worth monitoring at this point - if this doesn't happen, it will be an interesting series where a robust d(PNA) sign flip did not result in an identifiable restoring event.

( there may be a need for thread/ Tuesday overnight, particularly along and N of the Pike - this thread is not intended for that coverage ).

The backing for this is the (multi-day + multi sourced) index projection loudly signaling system emergence in the OV/TV to MA and New England regions in general, coupled with now both ensemble clusters and their operational runs beginning to finally see a cross-guidance identity in the flow. 

We had seen a lot of tussling in the dailies ( operational versions ) prior to that, an identity was lost to any corroborative sense, however. A lot of that is probably more acceptable than not, because ... this signal happens to be embedded in the +d(PNA), which for this evolution is a full sign change ( -PNA --> +PNA). That's a bit different than moving the index within the same positive(negative) the standard deviations - flipping the orientation of the mass field entirely is akin asking the operational runs to forecast through an inflection - complex but just inherently error prone.

So.. it's actually rather straight forward.  This is an emergence of an event that was heavily suggested by prior techniques to actually emerge - and that seems to be taking place now.  

Note, spread emerging along the NW arc ... This not uncommon for a +PNA emerging event, because the total stress in the field/"correction vector" is actually toward a sooner/west strengthening system, and the models are "beginning to detect" by having ensemble members beginning to pull the result set in that direction... This feels like a scenario where we are on the cusp of coalescing a more important low consensus between the D. Marv/CC-BM climate route.

image.thumb.png.59401eb13da816be138c3635fb286e2f.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Heisy said:

EPS following the OP..101148296bbdf410a5b096ff39cbf7ec.jpg

I love it when trough axis start to "scoop" like that...   I was talking to prof back in the UML Lab days and I referred to that as 'fish hooking' tends to precede aggressive cyclogenesis.  He just sort of said, hm, while slowly nodding.   Later that afternoon he was giving a lecture and he said, " ...earlier a Met student referred to this structure as a fish hook"      ... I was like yeah.  Finally, a moment in college whence I didn't appear to be a complete dipshit -

image.png.5ea994746b66238eaf89cea671ad6891.png

I'm interesting it the interval comparison to the 00z ... I suspect this 12z above is more impressive in this regard/overall just because the consensus continues to improve the contributing/governing mechanics are likely also doing so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Can't wait for my ~1" of snow.    Seriously though, this does look interesting for DIT on north.  The Ski areas will hopefully be happy with it.

It is kind of sad for a fantasy storm. Used to be  looking at 45 to 50 inch totals in fantasy land.

• Haha 1

GFS: More than a mere tick N-W with this ...

Also .. .156 hours isn't terribly long to start considering things. 

first of which, noting the +PP N.  "Only" 1035, but that isn't a circumstance we've seen very often, if at all ( as far as I'm aware) in several years ... where we headbutt a cyclogen against a +PP N..

two, that is importing untainted polar air.  Despite the higher hgts ( 546 dm) the actual lower trop. hydrostats are going to be disproportionately cold.   This effects ptype.

This is predicated on that orientation being essentially correct.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

GFS: More than a mere tick N-W with this ...

Also .. .156 hours isn't terribly long to start considering things. 

first of which, noting the +PP N.  "Only" 1035, but that isn't a circumstance we've seen very often, if at all ( as far as I'm aware) in several years ... where we headbutt a cyclogen against a +PP N..

two, that is importing untainted polar air.  Despite the higher hgts ( 546 dm) the actual lower trop. hydrostats are going to be disproportionately cold.   This effects ptype.

This is predicated on that orientation being essentially correct.

I wonder if we don't see late QPF bumps upward via intense isentropic lift assuming that idea works out...

35 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

ya, what a joke, we knew it would happen with no support.. Looks like we got into Feb 10+ before a real wintry threat emerges .. 

Our last legit threat for the next 2+ weeks trended warmer, plus the long range confirmed to back down the toilet. 

Still some time for the day 5/6 to trend a bit colder with the secondary forming earlier and/or an earlier infuse of the polar air moving south...I guess.