• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The thing is, once we get out post 300 and especially 360 hours, we approach what I call the "coherency horizon" - just means that beyond that, there's zip skill and the flow tends to start looking rather annular as the westerlies direction becomes the only aspect that remains (artifact of ensembles in every direction)/N input.  

However, in this case there's an emergence of that powerful +PNA ... ironically, in all ens means - which makes it unusually more coherent than we would normally see at that range.  It's really interesing..   long ass slog before we can start picking specific events out the noise. But to have the more typically entropic range look so structured is really fantastic.

Ha... it seems we keep upping the ante on what is wasted, huh.  j /k

Yeah the amplitude on these runs is pretty extreme for a D12-15 ensemble prog and it’s across all guidance too…not just one set of ensembles. 

I think the pattern shift is basically inevitable at this point but the bigger question is how long it lasts and if it trends more amplified or less. If you only get a 7-10 day period of favorability, then you can more easily whiff on storm chances versus if you get 3-4 weeks…just obvious probability/statistics. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Did about 70 miles of snowmobiling today in bear notch in the Bartlett area. Lot of snow off the trails, probably a good 3-4 feet in some spots 

Did you use a guide service?  I've been wanting to do this with my family and was curious if it's a good time.  

• Like 1

This is pretty bad. We are basically in the peak of winter and there is almost no snow cover around here below 600 feet.  
even last year we had a couple of inches of snow cover on the ground the first week of February.

No snow cover, no snow in sight and above normal temperatures. Yay

At this point I would take temperatures in the 50s to save on heating costs.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This is pretty bad. We are basically in the peak of winter and there is almost no snow cover around here below 600 feet.  
even last year we had a couple of inches of snow cover on the ground the first week of February.

No snow cover, no snow in sight and above normal temperatures. Yay

At this point I would take temperatures in the 50s to save on heating costs.

You may get your wish at the end of next week. I’m seeing 50F and sun forecasted here for next weekend. 

2 hours ago, Layman said:

Did you use a guide service?  I've been wanting to do this with my family and was curious if it's a good time.  

41 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Ill be up tomorrow doing the same thing, good to hear there's plenty of snow. Enjoy your weekend.

40 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

We usually do it with a guide service since were neophytes, a little more money but worth it and a good time.

We used a guide. I could go on my own as we owned snowmobiles when I was a kid, but this was my wife’s first ever time driving one, so we used a guide. She had a blast and we covered pretty much the whole loop up there in the 3+ hours.

we used northern extremes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This exotic pattern were in that was talked about last week is going to produce in the Maritimes. Hefty snow amounts coming out on the models. Long duration possibly Fri to Mon deal. My hood looking like 4-8 but Cape Breton looks to get crushed. Snow for days. Strong winds and snow totals in the 1-3ft range. Epic blizzard shaping up for them. Newfoundland should get in on this in a big way too. Still some uncertainty so see how it plays out. bcde3043d05a33369509ec3c746472a1.jpg
In centimetres.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We used a guide. I could go on my own as we owned snowmobiles when I was a kid, but this was my wife’s first ever time driving one, so we used a guide. She had a blast and we covered pretty much the whole loop up there in the 3+ hours.

we used northern extremes. 

In what town are you staying?

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

Not sure where were going yet, We usually head towards Jackman or towards Bosebuck but there not grooming to there anymore plus some logging going on too since it was sold.

We road Rangeley to NH  on Friday and Sunday.  Its groomed all the way to within 1/2 mile of NH border. They are logging about  1/4 mile.  not to bad and they may be done by now.  Nh to Boundary pond was well worth it.

East to jackman is all open as of tomorrow

Screenshot 2024-02-01 202548.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Western Maine, and northern Maine is a fabulous place to sled….if you’re big into sledding, it’s top notch. 

You'd know better than most, what's the big radar site you can sled by? I mean it's huge.