• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looking forward to 18z gfs clown maps from Moonshine and Galileo.

I don’t laugh out loud at a lot of stuff that I read here, but this got me. well played good sir

Throughout this afternoon's unbelievably obsessive peregrinations of that thing ...   "hook and latter"  ... was discussed back in the 1990s.  And. it's a play on words owned (most likely ) only to old school Met parlance...  can we give it a fuckum rest now?   lord

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

In case anyone wants to see

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

it would give lovelorn SEerners a couple good tugs from OES ...   That's a helluva long fetch transporting fresh polar air out of the polar maritime

47 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Oh no, this hurts me. I collect any and all telescopes, even broken ones. :(

To make myself feel better, I'm fairly certain that telescope is a 76mm reflector coming from one of the big Chinese optics manufacturers. Models with those apertures use spherically ground mirrors instead of parabolically ground mirrors. It's cheaper and easier to make a spherical mirror but as I'm sure some of you know, a spherical surface does not reflect incoming parallel light rays into a single point like a parabola would. So you get what's called spherical aberration when observing. (Parabolic mirrors also introduce aberrations but that's a whole other story).

Also the mounts on those cheap telescopes are extremely difficult and frustrating to use. Junk really. Still like collecting them though. I probably own around 25 telescopes right now?