• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i don’t think anyone is arguing that, but there’s no reason why that pattern wouldn’t occur. can you come up with an actual reason on modeling right now for that to go up in flames?

an actual reason, not just “if everything single thing possible goes wrong, the rest of the winter will suck.” that doesn’t count

GFS has an interesting D10+ look across the conus. Looks like early spring with the wavelengths and blockiness. You’ve been hammering the mid Feb take lately but we could sneak in something before then. 

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

GFS has an interesting D10+ look across the conus. Looks like early spring with the wavelengths and blockiness. You’ve been hammering the mid Feb take lately but we could sneak in something before then. 

if that Canadian block is far enough north to let something underneath, yes

4 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

The same logic can be applied to the N stream, no?  I haven't looked at any verification %s recently but I'm fairly confident the gfs has improved slightly with that "bully". I'm sure someone knows offhand and can correct me.  NOT saying it (or other models, but it's been gfs bane) doesn't continue to do that or anything.

I agree that its improved.

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

If you live anywhere south of New England, you better pray that the weeklies are right about 2/15 and beyond because that’s put up or shut up time, last shot. You can’t kick the can anymore at that point. Too little, too late. If it fails, good luck punting mid-late February and hoping some storybook miracle happens in March, game over time then

Have I told you lately that I love you?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

We've been kicking the can the whole winter-first it was big pattern change late Dec-that got moved to mid Jan, 8 days of cold and a couple minor/moderate events then right back to the torch now we waiting for something mid Feb....classic ratter type winter where it's always 10+ days away....and meanwhile the warmth is through the roof--torch December and even Jan will finish above normal....

I would argue that the can got kicked in latter December, which was a month we were all prepared for to suck...but it didn't really get kicked in January.....you just didn't end up liking what was in it. The pattern verified.....sorry there was no blizzard on your porch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i don’t think anyone is arguing that, but there’s no reason why that pattern wouldn’t occur. can you come up with an actual reason on modeling right now for that to go up in flames?

an actual reason, not just “if everything single thing possible goes wrong, the rest of the winter will suck.” that doesn’t count

I like snowman, but he is one those passive aggressive trolls....its camouflaged, but note the tone of all of his posts...."You had better pray (insert fortuitous development for winter enthusiasts) occurs or you won't have any winter at all"! When do you ever see him say "If that happens, it could be a fun wintry stretch".....he's a little verbiage Jedi always trying to elicit emotion from fans of winter and when he does, he plays the victim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

A lot of guidance is trending that way. It’s pretty interesting because you don’t normally see that type of pattern in early February. Like you said, usually March or April….but in early February, there’s enough cold around that you could really score big from one of those bowlers.

Who knows, maybe something breaks our way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I like snowman, but he is one those passive aggressive trolls....its camouflaged, but note the tone of all of his posts...."You had better pray (insert fortuitous development for winter enthusiasts) occurs or you won't have any winter at all"! When do you ever see him say "If that happens, it could be a fun wintry stretch".....he's a little verbiage Jedi always trying to elicit emotion from fans of winter and when he does, he plays the victim.

Good transactional analysis work my friend

3 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I agree that the long range looks better on recent runs and that we will see a colder stretch. However, I don’t like how far south the blocking is on some of these runs. Especially given strong nino climo, I’m concerned about suppression (Feb 2010 style). While yes, the pattern on the models is supported by Feb strong nino climo, that pattern isn’t necessarily good for SNE. It’s a great pattern for the mid Atlantic, ok one for SNE north.

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would argue that the can got kicked in latter December, which was a month we were all prepared for to suck...but it didn't really get kicked in January.....you just didn't end up liking what was in it. The pattern verified.....sorry there was no blizzard on your porch. 

The pattern absolutely verified. It was deep winter for a few weeks, with record breaking cold in the middle of the country. After a parade of snow systems and bitter cold here, London weather has commenced for the thaw. Can kicking has become an overused term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm not familiar with how a strong nina would affect the East. But I know here in the lakes there's actually a decent chance of having a very stormy winter. Big on roller coaster patterns.

For New England, strong Nina isn’t bad. It’s not our most favorable Enso state (weak Nino and weak Ninas are better), but it’s more favorable than strong or super ninos here. 2010-2011 was one of the snowiest winters on record in the Boston area, and it was during a strong Nina. The last strong Nina we had before that (2007-2008) wasn’t quite as good, but it was still a pretty good winter. Farther north that was an extremely good winter.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree with everything you said, except the like part in the beginning. 

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

A lot of guidance is trending that way. It’s pretty interesting because you don’t normally see that type of pattern in early February. Like you said, usually March or April….but in early February, there’s enough cold around that you could really score big from one of those bowlers.

Who knows, maybe something breaks our way. 

Go big or bring on spring. It’s exhausting trying to pull a sloppy couple inches sandwiched in between rainers. Maybe this weird bowling look in peak climo can swing variance back our way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George001 said:

I agree that the long range looks better on recent runs and that we will see a colder stretch. However, I don’t like how far south the blocking is on some of these runs. Especially given strong nino climo, I’m concerned about suppression (Feb 2010 style). While yes, the pattern on the models is supported by Feb strong nino climo, that pattern isn’t necessarily good for SNE. It’s a great pattern for the mid Atlantic, ok one for SNE north.

yes, the advertised pattern plays better for like HFD south. once into mid-Feb, everyone can get in on the action… NYC and MA are favored, but 2003 and 1983 got into BOS

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yes, the advertised pattern plays better for like HFD south. once into mid-Feb, everyone can get in on the action… NYC and MA are favored, but 2003 and 1983 got into BOS

Was the blocking more north based those years? 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

First half of Feb doesn’t seem that wintry. Hopefully that changes. 

Looks like after the 10th we build a west coast ridge into the -epo domain. That will probably be the next opportunity for the coast. Hopefully it doesn’t get can kicked as all the ensembles agree currently