Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

@psuhoffman i agree with your point on the lack of big storms from Feb 20-Mar 5 or so. it seems to be a lack of sample size… there’s no reason why it can’t happen in a cold, blocky pattern. maybe this is the year we set precedent

maybe because all the big storms happen Feb 14-18 and there is nothing left for the next week lol

• Haha 1

time to punt the 65-66 analog. Have already punted the 09-10 analog. the 86-87 maybe...but our 2 storms in January were small compared to the 86-87

still on the table...Feb 2003, 57-58 lol, 72-73, Feb 2010?

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

@psuhoffman i agree with your point on the lack of big storms from Feb 20-Mar 5 or so. it seems to be a lack of sample size… there’s no reason why it can’t happen in a cold, blocky pattern. maybe this is the year we set precedent

Interesting, because I seem to recall similar discussions in 2016 about the lack of big storms around the 3rd week of January. Maybe due to climo "January thaw" or just chance. And then we got the blizzard on Jan. 22-23! Again like you said, no apparent reason it couldn't happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

I've only been down here in Maryland for 19yrs, so 09-10 I had been here for five years.  I wish I knew then what I know now - I sort of just figured those types of monster storms were not common, but relatively regular.  Knowing what I know now I think I would have taken a lot more time off work to enjoy it and play in the snow to savor how awesome that winter was.  If I was still in my 20s maybe I'd more to Alta, UT to live in the snow.  Now in my 40s that seems a little too much, but man, life regrets.  

I often think about my regrets from 09/10. I was in 10th grade. I definitely enjoyed it. The time off school was a thrill. I got no pictures or videos of my own. Nor did I write any journal entries about winter weather events like I do now. Obviously I can go and watch other people's videos from that winter, but it's just not the same as having your own personal memories captured. I also just didn't cherish that winter the way I would now. It haunts me, knowing it's very likely we will never experience something like that again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

time to punt the 65-66 analog. Have already punted the 09-10 analog. the 86-87 maybe...but our 2 storms in January were small compared to the 86-87

still on the table...Feb 2003, 57-58 lol, 72-73, Feb 2010?

Feb 2003 wasn’t blocky, though. this could resemble 09-10, just pushed back a couple weeks. Feb 1978 is also close

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Feb 2003 wasn’t blocky, though. this could resemble 09-10, just pushed back a couple weeks. Feb 1978 is also close

here was the 500mb map a week before Feb 2003 blizzard. dosent look that different from what Geds showing. Cant really tell whats happening in the NAO domain but it had that split flow thing

Daily 7:00 AM  E.S.T. 500-Millibar Height Contour Map

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

here was the 500mb map a week before Feb 2003 blizzard. dosent look that different from what Geds showing. Cant really tell whats happening in the NAO domain but it had that split flow thing

Daily 7:00 AM  E.S.T. 500-Millibar Height Contour Map

I recall there being an east based -NAO. Wasn't the classic NA look that's for sure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ji said:

its going to be a dark day for this hobby when this map produces nothing in our backyards

If, if, IF. Just once I'd like you to use positive language when there's no other reason to be negative about something. Humor me just this once for the Feb 10th-20th period. What do ya have to lose? :lol:

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I recall there being an east based -NAO. Wasn't the classic NA look that's for sure.

That PD 2 in ‘03 was not forecast to be much if I remember correctly.  It way over performed in my area, at least. We ended off school for the week. That was good, because I was pregnant and down with a wicked sinus infection.  

• Like 1